Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
I haven't found a solar cover for the Oasis for sale. So as far as I can tell it's just a rumor/discussion and not an actual product.
- - - -
It isn't an "actual product", it is a user produced add-on.
But the recount of the 'dream' did not specify "(commercial) product".

And there are a large selection of external, solar re-charged, charger packs.
I know, I sell them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #32
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
I have one of those somewhere (it's not where I thought I'd put it, but I do have one) and an external battery pack recharged via USB -- the kind made popular for a while by Pokemon Go. I keep it around in case the power goes out for a while.

I hadn't known that those prices were limited-time prices. I'd thought they were sold out but the $40/$60 sellers (walnut is now pricer than merlot by quite a bit) are the same ones from before. I'm glad others grabbed a cover for $12!
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #33
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It isn't an "actual product", it is a user produced add-on.
But the recount of the 'dream' did not specify "(commercial) product".

And there are a large selection of external, solar re-charged, charger packs.
I know, I sell them.
Well yes, I mean commercial product. Built into the official cover. So that one never has to think about charging again. Easy. Not having to lug around something plugged in. That kind of defeats the point of it. Otherwise I just plug it into the wall or a external battery pack thingie.

As far as the developer forum, its not a place I go as I do not fiddle, hack, or mess with my kindle otherwise. Or anything else really as that is all above my paygrade and skillset. Its why I like my kindles, order them, charge them, use them. I don't have to fiddle with nothing. It just works.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #34
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So after having the cover for a few days, my experience is just like yours:

Like new except for one tiny blemish that you have to look hard to see. Came with no charge, but charged overnight and has worked fine since. Produced connection error at first, but that's probably because a 0% charge looks like a bad connection.

Definitely good value for $12!

And a followup closer to what the OP was curious about:

While talking with someone about Amazon sellers in Canada, I clicked over to the Kindle product pages for no real reason and discovered that the Oasis is completely out of stock there. It doesn't even show up in the header at the top of the page and if I search for it I can find its product page but I get the "we don't know when or if this will be back in stock" message and it can't be ordered.

So it looks even more likely that a new Oasis, or a new model under some other name, may be coming.

Here's to warm-white LEDs!

Last edited by Buran; 07-19-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #35
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
My experience echoes everyone else's. To all appearances, a new cover with a barely detectable scratch on the front. Doubt that this was ever used.

Strangely, it came in a large box with big notices on it that there was a lithium ion battery inside. Don't remember that the reader came with any such notice, and it certainly didn't come in a big box.

Amazon is going to have to work hard to get me to upgrade to a new reader. Can't imagine how they could improve it except maybe make it possible to charge the cover battery independent of the reader, and I certainly wouldn't buy something because of that.

But I've said that I wasn't going to upgrade many times, so never say never.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #36
Buran
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
My experience echoes everyone else's. To all appearances, a new cover with a barely detectable scratch on the front. Doubt that this was ever used.

Strangely, it came in a large box with big notices on it that there was a lithium ion battery inside. Don't remember that the reader came with any such notice, and it certainly didn't come in a big box.

Amazon is going to have to work hard to get me to upgrade to a new reader. Can't imagine how they could improve it except maybe make it possible to charge the cover battery independent of the reader, and I certainly wouldn't buy something because of that.

But I've said that I wasn't going to upgrade many times, so never say never.

Jim
Regulations regarding labeling of batteries in shipping probably changed, especially since the Note 7 fiasco.

Shippers probably require a lot more labeling on packages containing batteries regardless of any FAA or DOT rules. There's a lot more awareness now about how dangerous batteries are if they fail. (Failures are rare, but they're sure spectacular.)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #37
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
Regulations regarding labeling of batteries in shipping probably changed, especially since the Note 7 fiasco.

Shippers probably require a lot more labeling on packages containing batteries regardless of any FAA or DOT rules. There's a lot more awareness now about how dangerous batteries are if they fail. (Failures are rare, but they're sure spectacular.)
I have always seen a ton of labels on batteries. Heck if a truck is carrying a load of batteries, the truck must have the proper hazardous material placards on the trailer.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:05 AM   #38
Buran
Geek

Black covers can now be had for $20 used on the US site. Just noticed today.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #39
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Oasis now listed as "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock" on the US site
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no-oasis.png
Views:	123
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	158604  
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #40
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Oasis now listed as "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock" on the US site
Looks like you can still get it without special offers, but yeah, something is sure up. New model soon!
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Looks like you can still get it without special offers, but yeah, something is sure up. New model soon!
Or no model at all. Maybe Amazon feels it didn't do well like the Fire phone.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:03 AM   #42
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Yes, something must be going on. All versions of Kindle Oasis are currently unavailable at Amazon Japan.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 AM   #43
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle Oasis not currently available new at Amazon UK either.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #44
cane
Enthusiast
cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3,Kindle Oasis 2016,2022 Basic kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Kindle Oasis not currently available new at Amazon UK either.
On Amazon right now it says
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Something is up !

Last edited by cane; 08-22-2017 at 03:05 PM.
cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #45
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
This morning, Amazon US was showing the wifi version would be in stock on August 28th. Now it's simply showing "Out of Stock" as previously reported.

Last edited by JoeC; 08-24-2017 at 07:32 PM. Reason: correction
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote