Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #1
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
40% price increase from book page to purchase page

I went onto the kobo uk website today with the intention of buying the Sue Townsend "Adrian Mole" series of books, if they were a reasonable price.

I was happy to see them for sale at £2.99 each, however when I clicked the buy now option, luckily I saw that the price was now showing as £4.99 each.

I have tried contacting Kobo Customer Care by phone, however I spent a frustrating 10mins trying to explain to a customer care agent, who was clearly based in a foreign country and did not have a good grasp of english my problem.

The answer I got from her was basically "The increase will be due to taxes levied in your country". I know this to be rubbish as in the UK the tax is included in the price of the book (if indeed books are taxed).

I am sure that legally in the uk an item can not be displayed at one price and then you be charged a different price when you go to purchase it.

Can anyone give any advice on this, or is this another example of Kobo's exceptionally helpfull customer service.
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
I went onto the kobo uk website today with the intention of buying the Sue Townsend "Adrian Mole" series of books, if they were a reasonable price.

I was happy to see them for sale at £2.99 each, however when I clicked the buy now option, luckily I saw that the price was now showing as £4.99 each.

I have tried contacting Kobo Customer Care by phone, however I spent a frustrating 10mins trying to explain to a customer care agent, who was clearly based in a foreign country and did not have a good grasp of english my problem.

The answer I got from her was basically "The increase will be due to taxes levied in your country". I know this to be rubbish as in the UK the tax is included in the price of the book (if indeed books are taxed).

I am sure that legally in the uk an item can not be displayed at one price and then you be charged a different price when you go to purchase it.

Can anyone give any advice on this, or is this another example of Kobo's exceptionally helpfull customer service.
Just tried (also in the UK): e.g. The diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 and 3/4 shows in the search as 2.99, but if you click on the book:
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...-aged-13-3-4-1
the price is now 4.99. This seems to be the case for many books. If you fancy another frustrating fifteen minutes on a chatline, you can point them to the two links showing different prices before buying.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
From 2.99 to 4.99 is actually a 66% price jump (feels good to have the daily dose of nitpicking out of my system... ). Not nice. I've had price jumps happen to me on the way from the book page to the checkout, but they were always very small and quickly remedied by applying a big fat discount code.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I thought Kobo said they fixed this problem months ago, guess they need to go back to the drawing board. It's been a problem in a limited sense for well over a year.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
How come the price never drops 60% between the book page and the purchase page?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the publisher rather than Kobo.

If you look at this page http://www.sainsburysebooks.co.uk/co...of-adrian-mole

Quote:
Enjoy the hilarious journals of one of the great thinkers and poets of our times for just £2.99 each.
But the individual books are priced at £4.99 on the same page as the quote copied above.

I just checked Waterstones - they have them listed at £2.99 and the price stays at £2.99 when added to basket so you might want to buy there!
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote