Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Who wants to downgrade to ICS?

Hey people,

I know there has been a few people that prefer the old ICS layout, so much so that they have asked for a downgrade.

I tried to find a solution to the issue while keeping jelly bean but it would take too many resources to make it a reality. What I did manage to do was to get permission to post the final ICS image.

Note:

YOU WILL HAVE TO FACTORY RESET YOUR DEVICE.

This means that you will lose everything and will have to re-set up your device.

KOBO is not responsible for anything that goes wrong.

I have personally tested this action myself 5 times. It worked for me every time.

There is no turning back...for now

Downgrading will leave you on the last ICS build. The Jelly Bean update will not show up to downgraded devices. At least for now.

Again, I know people will not be happy about this part but it's the best that's going to be available.

Still with me? Here's what you need to do:
  1. Download Update.zip
  2. Connect the Arc to your computer.
  3. Copy Update.zip to root of the Arc
  4. Disconnect the Arc from your computer
  5. Reboot the Arc
  6. Update will apply
  7. Device will reboot – at this point the device will stay at the startup animation. This is the point where a factory reset needs to happen.
  8. Hold power until device powers off.
  9. Hold power and volume up until logo appears and release power but continue to hold volume up until the gears appear and release.
  10. Use volume rocker to highlight “Wipe Data Partition” press power button to select.
  11. Use volume rocker to highlight “Yes – Delete all user data” press power button to select.
  12. Wait until format is complete.
  13. Press power button to select “Reboot system now”
  14. Device will reboot.

Animation will take longer than usual. Be patient.

Enjoy.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Thank you for this, though I'll save it for when Jelly Bean becomes more frustrating (under alternate launchers, of course, due to Tapestries crashing problem) than recovering after a factory reset would be.

So far, Jelly Bean's been mostly inconvenience, with few, if any, visible benefits over ICS.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 04-10-2013 at 11:41 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Thanks for the option, but I seem to be in the `fairly pleased` opinion of Jelly Bean. It`s been smooth sailing.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Good to know it's an option but I'm also in the fairly pleased (nobody can ever be totally pleased) category. But since the JB update is pulled/not available anymore should those of us who have updated be worried about anything even if we've seen no issues yet?
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Good to know it's an option but I'm also in the fairly pleased (nobody can ever be totally pleased) category. But since the JB update is pulled/not available anymore should those of us who have updated be worried about anything even if we've seen no issues yet?
No, the issue is with Google movies not working properly. When that is fixed a new update will go live.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
OK that's good. I was worried for a minute.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
I'm not going into details but after ~20 minutes here's a tablet ui on jellybean without mucking with dpi. Nice to see a tutorial for reverting back to ics...

slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
ibabob
ibabob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
I'm not going into details but after ~20 minutes here's a tablet ui on jellybean without mucking with dpi. Nice to see a tutorial for reverting back to ics...

How did you do that ? Please tell me you found how to root the Arc This would make it so much better for me !!

Thanks
ibabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
kimicocopop
kimicocopop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, kindle fire, possibly Kobo Arc
This is super good news. Tbh, I would do it in a second were it not for the fact that I have tons of stuff in my tapestries and it will be waaaaaaaay too much work to find everything again. But if my problems worsen (not having huge issues. Mainly a wifi problem) I'm glad to know that is a possibility.

Ftr, I would like to say how pleased I am that any effort was made at all to fix the problems the update has caused. I am used to really bad cs so I'm feeling spoiled lol.
kimicocopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #10
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post

Wonderfull ! Well done ! That's exactly what I was expecting (see my posts in this forum) !

Please tell us how you did that ! Why not make a tutorial, or even better a flash file...

I'm wondering why Kobo (Robin ?) was not able (or not willing) to do that if it is so easy that it seems to be (for skilled people at least !) ???

Thank you anyways !

Last edited by Dangze; 04-12-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Hello,

where is slate ? I send him a PM, but no answer !...

I would be very interested by its "solution" !!!

Regards from France.
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
nmss
nmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Arc, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
Hey people,

I know there has been a few people that prefer the old ICS layout, so much so that they have asked for a downgrade.

I tried to find a solution to the issue while keeping jelly bean but it would take too many resources to make it a reality. What I did manage to do was to get permission to post the final ICS image.

Note:

This means that you will lose everything and will have to re-set up your device.

KOBO is not responsible for anything that goes wrong.

I have personally tested this action myself 5 times. It worked for me every time.

There is no turning back...for now

Downgrading will leave you on the last ICS build. The Jelly Bean update will not show up to downgraded devices. At least for now.

Again, I know people will not be happy about this part but it's the best that's going to be available.

Still with me? Here's what you need to do:
  1. Download Update.zip
  2. Connect the Arc to your computer.
  3. Copy Update.zip to root of the Arc
  4. Disconnect the Arc from your computer
  5. Reboot the Arc
  6. Update will apply
  7. Device will reboot – at this point the device will stay at the startup animation. This is the point where a factory reset needs to happen.
  8. Hold power until device powers off.
  9. Hold power and volume up until logo appears and release power but continue to hold volume up until the gears appear and release.
  10. Use volume rocker to highlight “Wipe Data Partition” press power button to select.
  11. Use volume rocker to highlight “Yes – Delete all user data” press power button to select.
  12. Wait until format is complete.
  13. Press power button to select “Reboot system now”
  14. Device will reboot.

Animation will take longer than usual. Be patient.

Enjoy.

Which directory should I save the update.zip file to?

Will this void the warranty?
nmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

It goes in the root of the device, meaning no folder.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
nmss
nmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Arc, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
It goes in the root of the device, meaning no folder.
Thank you. Will it void the warranty?
nmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
aerinkane
aerinkane began at the beginning.

Unless I am missing something, this will not work. As soon as you connect to wifi, you are forced to download the jelly bean update. It is a shame because i was looking forward to getting ICS back.
aerinkane is offline   Reply With Quote