Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Nook Glowlight cannot display EPUBs with embedded Unicode fonts

Hi

I have just got the Nook Glowlight. However, the EPUBs with embedded Unicode fonts (such as Courier New or Times New Roman - for Vietnamese) cannot be rendered correctly. I chat with a useless guy from B&N and he kept saying that there is no option to read Unicode fonts except the available fonts (which do not support full Unicode). And I tried the method that change the CSS to link to DroidSansFallBack.ttf, it doesn't work here.

Can anyone help? Otherwise I have to return the NOOK and say bye bye to B&N for good.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote from the Nook Glowlight faq (Traveling):
"Your NOOK GlowLight™ has fonts that support languages based on a Latin character set for reading foreign language books, periodicals, and other digital content. Some examples of supported languages include: Afrikaans, Basque, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.
Your NOOK GlowLight™ may support books from other languages, but only if the foreign language characters are embedded in the font library of the digital file itself or if the file is a PDF file rendered as a graphic image.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Quote from the Nook Glowlight faq (Traveling):
"Your NOOK GlowLight™ has fonts that support languages based on a Latin character set for reading foreign language books, periodicals, and other digital content. Some examples of supported languages include: Afrikaans, Basque, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.
Your NOOK GlowLight™ may support books from other languages, but only if the foreign language characters are embedded in the font library of the digital file itself or if the file is a PDF file rendered as a graphic image.
Thanks.I quoted the same thing to the technician from B&N chat and he kept saying that it was not the case, the Nook cannot render EPUBs in fonts other than the provided one. PDF maybe but who read PDF on 6" e-ink?
Old 12-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would not put much stock in the B&N technician's information.

There used to be a setting (Nook Simple Touch) to use Publisher defaults. Assuming that is still there, I wonder if that would allow embedded fonts to work? I no longer have a Nook so can't check myself.

Another thing you could try is to open with ADE 2.x.

It's also possible that the fonts are not embedded 'correctly'—have you found any reading system that can render them?

Last edited by tomsem; 12-07-2013 at 02:00 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There used to be a setting (Nook Simple Touch) to use Publisher defaults. Assuming that is still there, I wonder if that would allow embedded fonts to work?
Yes.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178623 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212998 for more info/pointers.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
mimosavj
Addict

The Publisher default + embedded fonts worked perfectly on the Nook STR but don't seem to work on the new Nook Glowlight. I ended up giving it as a Christmas gift to the office manager since she only read stuffs in English. Sigh!!! She's perfectly happy with it, so I guess if you don't need to read books in other obscure languages, the Nook Glowlight is a good device..
Old 12-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
usenothing
usenothing began at the beginning.

Device: Nook1,New NOOK GlowLight
B&N let me down too.
I got a New NOOK Glowlight and have the samw problem: cannot read any epubs with founts embeded.
I'm not in US, and inconvenient to give NOOK Glowlight back to B&N.
What a [word removed - MODERATOR] B&N is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
Hi

I have just got the Nook Glowlight. However, the EPUBs with embedded Unicode fonts (such as Courier New or Times New Roman - for Vietnamese) cannot be rendered correctly. I chat with a useless guy from B&N and he kept saying that there is no option to read Unicode fonts except the available fonts (which do not support full Unicode). And I tried the method that change the CSS to link to DroidSansFallBack.ttf, it doesn't work here.

Can anyone help? Otherwise I have to return the NOOK and say bye bye to B&N for good.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-24-2013 at 07:34 PM.
usenothing is offline   Reply With Quote