Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book should we read for August?
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson & the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan 4 8.00%
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy 5 10.00%
Wool Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey 5 10.00%
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon 9 18.00%
A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan 3 6.00%
The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett 7 14.00%
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain 9 18.00%
A Question of Upbringing by Anthony Powell 3 6.00%
Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips 3 6.00%
Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Inkmesh is fairly out of date.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Inkmesh is fairly out of date.
I wonder what the deal is. They haven't posted here since May 27, 2010. They used to be pretty up on things.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I wonder what the deal is. They haven't posted here since May 27, 2010. They used to be pretty up on things.
It could also be that some of the sites have changed their interfaces and Inkmesh just isn't keeping up. But to do honest, the best way to do it is to have a look at Kobo, Sony, B&N, BooksOnBoard & Amazon. And then some of the UK versions and see if the eBook exists.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #19
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
This looks to be another banner month with nothing but good choices.

I just noticed that The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Author) and Lucia Graves (Translator) is available at Amazon. You couldn't tell it from the Inkmesh search.
I bought Shadow of the Wind from Amazon a couple of years ago.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I read Shadow of the Wind and also The Angel's Game. I borrowed them both through my local e-library (Overdrive supported). I really enjoyed these books. The writing is very beautiful and lyrical. The setting is dark and gothic and mysterious. A love for literature is part of the main plot. The third book was just released this month, and I'm looking forward to reading it too. I think this choice would appeal to many on this forum.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I read Shadow of the Wind and also The Angel's Game. I borrowed them both through my local e-library (Overdrive supported). I really enjoyed these books. The writing is very beautiful and lyrical. The setting is dark and gothic and mysterious. A love for literature is part of the main plot. The third book was just released this month, and I'm looking forward to reading it too. I think this choice would appeal to many on this forum.
I agree. I bought the third book for my wife's birthday a few days ago (in hardback - she's not quite there yet with ebooks, though I have high hopes for the iPad I also bought her converting her reading habits ).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Shadow of the Wind is a solid second on my wanting to read pile for this month's vote.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Of the current leaders, I would like to see Wool (5 votes, and I'm currently reading) or The Shadow (8 votes) win. I've already read The Color of Magic (6 votes), and not really interested in hearing a discussion on it. I will vote for The Color of Magic if it will result in a two way run off, as I think it will win in a three way run off.

Viva open polls!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Not voting for the book you want most is creating a dishonest vote.
Dishonest is a fightin' word best not applied to how people vote. People are free to vote using whatever criteria they choose; there's nothing "dishonest" about it and I wouldn't blame someone for resenting having that term applied to him.

Here's some honesty: I think dishonest is code for "I'd like to enhance the chance that the book I want is chosen." Although the logic that says a closed vote is the best way to achieve that is beyond me. I think this month's close open vote is a case in point.

If you want to help a book along, why not make it sound interesting and let the chips fall where they may?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Dishonest is a fightin' word best not applied to how people vote. People are free to vote using whatever criteria they choose; there's nothing "dishonest" about it and I wouldn't blame someone for resenting having that term applied to him.

Here's some honesty: I think dishonest is code for "I'd like to enhance the chance that the book I want is chosen." Although the logic that says a closed vote is the best way to achieve that is beyond me. I think this month's close open vote is a case in point.

If you want to help a book along, why not make it sound interesting and let the chips fall where they may?
Dishonest may have been a bit harsh. But if you vote based on what someone else votes for or how many votes a book has instead of what you would like to best read (if different), you are not being honest with your vote.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Dishonest may have been a bit harsh. But if you vote based on what someone else votes for or how many votes a book has instead of what you would like to best read (if different), you are not being honest with your vote.
Oh, great. "Dishonest" is harsh, so you've changed it to "not being honest." That'll move a discussion along.

You're obviously an all-or-nothing type of guy. Others are more risk-averse, perhaps, and prefer to get some or most of what they'd like more of the time. It's a difference of style, not morality. It's highly judgmental and intolerant to ascribe honesty to one's own decision-making style and dishonesty to the method others use.

Honesty has nothing to do with it. Nowhere is it said or implied that by voting, you undertake to pick your single highest preference, and that's assuming you'd have one (I know I'd be equally happy with at least three of the nominees). That's a projection you're making and as I said, I suspect it's because you think your own ends will be better served if others act in that manner.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #28
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Of course I always vote for what I want to read! But sometimes I have a hard time deciding. Either because to many or too few appeal to me at first glance.
In those situations I do try to take in other people's views. When I do that I do take into account who usually seem to share my taste. Or the opposite.
I don't have to see their votes, but the dissussions in the voting threads used to be very useful for me in finding good reads (ether they won the vote or not). Not so much sinec all the hidden/open debacle seems to have taken over and sort of throttled discussions.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #29
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Only 30 minutes left to affect the outcome.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #30
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Oh, this will be a tough run-off-vote! Those two were by far my favourites this month!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote