Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Anyone else NOT like reading on their iPad?

Maybe it's just me, but I hate reading books on my iPad. Don't get me wrong, I love it for other things, and it is my sole source for reading news and magazines, but when it comes to sustained reading, I find I hate it. I miss the Kindle I had to sell to afford the iPad. I bought a Nook and haven't opened it yet...I hate to justify two eReaders. Sigh.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Care to tell us why you hate it? Is there something wrong with the apps you're using? You don't like the weight? The size? The screen? Is it something that can be addressed or you're just stuck with it?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I don't like reading on it either (except magazines in Zinio). I just find the large screen doesn't work for me. I prefer to read on a book-size screen. I find myself feeling impatient when I have tried to read on the iPad because there is so much more per page. I just like the Kindle-sized screen better.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Scott, I cannot put my finger on it (no pun intended). I did not say I don't like the iPad, quite the opposite actually. But as I read, I do not find myself getting lost in the book the same way I did with the Kindle. I also find that I cannot read novels for a long period of time. I'm not attacking the device, but looking for other opinions.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I do prefer the paperback sized screen of my Kindle, and it's a little too easy to get distracted by everything else on the iPad...I call it the "let's check email/forums/oh look there's an app update/let's play a game instead" syndrome.

But the iPad is a killer reader at night. Turn on the Kindle app, turn the text to white on black, and no annoying book light needed. I found I absolutely love reading this way. From there, I was able to start reading in the daytime on it as well, and I'm afraid my K2 hasn't seen much use since.

All I can say is, turn off wireless, find a comfortable position, and try again.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
You could try to eBay or Craigslist your iPad for a markup, so you can afford to replace your iPad and Kindle. (Maybe get a used Kindle for less?)

To me, it doesn't matter whether anyone else (dis)likes any device I (dis)like. If something works for me, I use it, and I don't if it doesn't. I tried and returned a Sony, for instance, but that doesn't mean the device is any less useful for those who like it.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I don't like reading on it either (except magazines in Zinio). I just find the large screen doesn't work for me. I prefer to read on a book-size screen. I find myself feeling impatient when I have tried to read on the iPad because there is so much more per page. I just like the Kindle-sized screen better.
You can always increase the font size so there is less text per page
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
You can always increase the font size so there is less text per page
Or read in landscape orientation, so there are two pages on the screen.

Personally I find reading with iBooks to be an extremely pleasant experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #9
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I also like to read on the iPad, for it being so fast in everything. Rotating, changing fonts. The high contrast and viewing angle of the IPS screen certainly helps.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I find the comment of prefering to read "on a book sized screen" puzzling.

Perhaps if someone prefers a paperback, a 6 inch screen causes nostalgia. But the iPad seems much more like a hardback book... With variable font sizes, brightness, and font schemes and a built in dictionary.

I can't say I do not like it at all.

Maybe I am forgetting to miss something?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #11
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Really enjoy reading with it - prefer the Kindle app to iBooks.

I do get distracted by all the other features. When I used my Sony, all I was doing was reading, it was very immersive. I find the Kindle app immersive, but only when I get there. I think this will ease as the shiny new toy gets older

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #12
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
The iPad is the best reading experience ever for me. But , I will agree about the distractions. Seems like there are just endless other things to do......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 AM   #13
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I don't know if it was the weight or the size or just the ergonomics, but holding it up and reading for 10 minutes was not comfortable to me, compared with my Sony. Perhaps if I read longer I might change my mind, but I doubt it.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #14
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Perhaps if someone prefers a paperback, a 6 inch screen causes nostalgia. But the iPad seems much more like a hardback book...
I for one hate hardback books. I never thought a screen that size could be too big to me though. I'll have to test it before I buy a similar device. Right know I use 6 inch reader and it's quite all right (but 7 or 8 would be probably better).
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #15
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I read in 2 page landscape mode and really like it. Actually, I do everything in landscape on the iPad as i find it the most comfortable.

There is a bit more glare from the screen but my Sony has glare as well and I just adjust it to make it readable.

I have switched from my Sony to the iPad for reading and as much as I love the Sony I'm loving the iPad even more due to it's flexibility. The Sony still gets used if I'm sitting outside on a sunny day. That's one thing eink will always be better for.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote