Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-30-2017, 10:04 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Anyone use Scapple?

I'm pretty sure there are a number of Scrivener enthusiasts here, I'm wondering if any of you use their other software, Scapple. I've been playing with the trial version, and I'm impressed by how quickly I can put together ideas. I've used mind mapping software before, but found myself lost in the intricacies of how to create child nodes or create interesting colours and icons. The advantage of Scapple is that there's none of the formating found in mind mapping software. It's just, double click the screen, create a note, create others as they occur and link them by simply sitting one on top of the other.
After doing this, I tried importing some icons etc, but really didn't need them. I did add colour to some of the major notes, but that's about all.
I formatted a Scapple for a complete plot as fast as I could think of it and will probably turn it into flash fiction.
Would be interested in what others who've tried this and other mind mapping software think of it.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:37 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
No I don't use it, but I was impressed with Scrivener (even though I didn't end up using it either), so I will definitely take a look. Thanks.

I haven't successfully used any mind-mapping software since GrandView (a very old DOS based outliner - my, that starts to date me ). So far my mind as managed to remain unmapped, just vast spaces labelled only "here be dragons!" .
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
No I don't use it, but I was impressed with Scrivener (even though I didn't end up using it either), so I will definitely take a look. Thanks.

I haven't successfully used any mind-mapping software since GrandView (a very old DOS based outliner - my, that starts to date me ). So far my mind as managed to remain unmapped, just vast spaces labelled only "here be dragons!" .

GrandView was great. I still own the original software, box, manual and etc. - all in storage.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Just bought a copy. It looks interesting.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I've never heard of Grandview. Sounds like it is a fairly old program if it is DOS based. lol.
Advert
Old 05-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I've never heard of Grandview. Sounds like it is a fairly old program if it is DOS based. lol.
About 35 (or more) years old.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My first impressions of Scapple are:

It's neat and very simple, almost too simple to be an effective organiser. It is pretty much exactly what they describe: a replacement for scribbling connected notes onto a piece of paper, with the added advantage that you can move and delete your scribbles. It struck me as being very similar to a "post-it notes" application, with the ability to draw lines between your notes.

Being a person that likes to group things, I found that the "magnetic" property (off by default) for background shapes is useful. Turn it on and place items you want to group onto the same shape and they can all be moved around together.

The main thing to be aware of is that Scrapple gives every sign of being a dormant product. The current v1.0.0 release is dated Oct 2013, so it's almost four years old, suggesting they are not working on it any more. If it's simple features are exactly what you're looking for then that's not really a problem, but if there are aspects/extras you might want in future then I would not be holding my breath waiting for updates. (The last thing I can find on the forum says the product has not been abandoned, but they are not planning major changes or additions.)
Old 05-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I really wish you hadn't said that. Do I look like I need reminding how long it's been?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I own Scapple as part of some bulk software deal I bought a while ago. But I used Mindnode for much longer (on both OSX and iOS) so I haven't gotten anywhere with Scapple.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'll have to take a look, just not sure as I'd need to buy bother versions.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I really wish you hadn't said that. Do I look like I need reminding how long it's been?
Old 05-03-2017, 12:51 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
35 yrs ago I was a young boy of 11.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
E.M.DuBois
Connoisseur
E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9+
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
35 yrs ago I was a young boy of 11.
35 years ago I wasn't even a dirty thought in my parents' minds.

Word’s the easiest product I’ve come across to do anything with writing. I've even thought of ways to use it to do exactly what Scrapple does: I just make notes in an inserted shape, and then connect two with a line. Don’t really see the need to go out of my way to find a specific program to do what I could probably do just as well on Office.
E.M.DuBois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #14
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.DuBois View Post
35 years ago I wasn't even a dirty thought in my parents' minds.

Word’s the easiest product I’ve come across to do anything with writing. I've even thought of ways to use it to do exactly what Scrapple does: I just make notes in an inserted shape, and then connect two with a line. Don’t really see the need to go out of my way to find a specific program to do what I could probably do just as well on Office.
Indeed, there are lots of ways to achieve much same effect. The advantage of Scapple is mainly in having a simple interface to a simple requirement, and a wide open space in which to work. The same result in other programs would require more fiddling around. (That said, personally, I would not pay for a product like Scapple. If I want something like it I would write it myself.)

What I have seen over and over again is that people (including myself) will use what they know rather than learn something new. Give me a data manipulation problem and I will tackle it with databases, give it to an accountant and they will tackle it with spreadsheets. It's covered by the saying: give a man a hammer and every problem looks like a nail.

Often that actually makes sense. It can be saving in time and effort ... until the contortions required take it the other way. The hard part is working out which problems need you to look further afield.

P.S. I'm no fan of Word, I use LibreOffice (not really a fan of that exactly either, but it's where I've ended up). Whatever, it's much the same thing. But ...

If you have not already done so, I do recommend you take a look at Scrivener (their trial period arrangement is very good, as is their tutorial). Do NOT do this on your current project (you really don't want to waste time trying to migrate what you've already got from Word to Scrivener). But when you're thinking about a new project, give it a try. It really is worth a serious look. It is an intriguing product. (This from a person that decided not to use it, but at least I now know what I'm missing.)

P.P.S. Can we stop talking about age now. I'm sure this is payback for what I once said to an English teacher in high school:
Spoiler:
Were the dinosaurs really that big?
Old 05-05-2017, 01:45 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

P.S. I'm no fan of Word, I use LibreOffice (not really a fan of that exactly either, but it's where I've ended up). Whatever, it's much the same thing. But ...

If you have not already done so, I do recommend you take a look at Scrivener (their trial period arrangement is very good, as is their tutorial).
I'm currently using LibreOffice to come up with docs for a Scrivener project. It's easy to create tables where you fill in blanks using LO.

Tags
mind maps, notes, scapple