Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #3421
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
New question: I unchecked the "set calibre author URL." Is there a way to remove the URL from already-downloaded fics, though?

As well, why doesn't this work?

Code:
replace_metadata: publisher=>www.fanfiction.net=>FanFiction.net

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-12-2019 at 06:32 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #3422
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
New question: I unchecked the "set calibre author URL." Is there a way to remove the URL from already-downloaded fics, though?
Calibre doesn't store author URL by book, it has a separate author table. So to remove an author URL, you have to edit the author record.

The way I know how to do that is to show the Tag Browser (under Layout), right click Authors and choose Manage Authors. Edit author URLs there.

There may be other ways, but I don't know them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
As well, why doesn't this work?

Code:
replace_metadata: publisher=>www.fanfiction.net=>FanFiction.net
Calibre's Publisher column is populated from site. FFF doesn't have a publisher metadata entry. Use:

Code:
replace_metadata:
 site=>www.fanfiction.net=>FanFiction.net
This is at least twice this has come up, I wonder if it's worth adding publisher as a copy of site and using it...
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #3423
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILB View Post
Thanks JimmXinu and ilovejedd, I tried polish but it gives me a whole extra page that I don´t need – nor want.
It also copies my epub in “Original-EPUB” and adds the new title page in “EPUB” – which makes two EPUBs for which I need memory space when I want only one epub.

It´s only one maybe two of my custom columns that I want to add.
I liked the existing option to add columns to the “normal” title page. And all columns that are filled by settings in personal.ini already work when downloading.
It is just the hassle with columns that are manually filled after downloading.
I have spent waaay more time (including another hour today) than this corner case can justify trying to fit this into the existing system in way that both works 'as I expect to' and without breaking anything else. I give up.

It's not like there isn't already a way to do it, it's just not as efficient. Use 'Update EPUB always', or don't; it's your choice.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #3424
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can disable the creation of ORIGINAL_EPUB for polishing books, or delete it right after. Calibre only creates it in order to give you a way to recover your valuable data, if the conversion/polish broke the ebook. Once you know that it didn't break you can always delete it... Or, as I said, you can stop it from ever being created in the first place.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #3425
Arkeus
Enthusiast
Arkeus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Wuxiaworld.co currently has a bug. I can update stories just fine, but adding a new one gives me a "utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 58: invalid continuation byte" error. Tried it with 10 random stories.

EDIT: seems to work now?

EDIT: not completely... I am not sure if it's my computer or what.

Last edited by Arkeus; 05-13-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #3426
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@Arkeus - I'm not able to duplicate the issue.

When a problem comes and goes it's usually due to the site having issues.

More rarely, it could be the site slowly rolling out an update across multiple servers.

If you continue to see it, and post a story URL that displays the problem, I'll look into it again.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #3427
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2019-05-14
- Some fixes for Russian language adapter_masseffect2in.
- Fixes for adapter_quotevcom due to site changes.
- Removing filter()/map() calls--not consistent between Py2/Py3.
- Some Py3 compat / optimization fixes, thanks eschwartz
Old 05-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #3428
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
This is at least twice this has come up, I wonder if it's worth adding publisher as a copy of site and using it...
That wouldn't be a bad idea. I got it all sorted out now. Thank you.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #3429
MrGarrison
MrGarrison began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet
There appears to be a problem with Storiesonline - it doesn't prompt me for my login info, thus it only downloads the bit of the story that's viewable to unregistered users.

Edit - I neglected to mention that I'm using the latest test version (05/14/19).
MrGarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #3430
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2019-05-14
- Fix for adapter_storiesonlinenet not detecting login failure.
- Some fixes for Russian language adapter_masseffect2in.
- Fixes for adapter_quotevcom due to site changes.
- Some Py3 compat / optimization fixes, thanks eschwartz

This was reported by a web service user, but I didn't put up a plugin version for it until now.

Quote:
I am seeing the problem now: if you don't have username/password set in personal.ini, FFF doesn't ask for user/pass and continues on to collect incomplete chapters.

The text(s) we used to detected failed login changed. I've fixed that and added a check to make sure there is a user/pass before even trying.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #3431
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually this is not strictly true, they create iterables on py3 and `for i in iterable` works, as does `' '.join(iterable)`. What doesn't work is len(iterable) or iterable[0], and in many, but not all cases, FanFicFare needs to save variables that will later be consumed that way -- but the difference between py2 and py3 is that py2's map() is py3's list(map()).

That being said, there are many who would say filter is un-pythonic. It's sort of a bikeshed issue whether to surround everything with list() or replace it with list comprehensions.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-14-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #3432
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Actually this is not strictly true, they create iterables on py3 and `for i in iterable` works, as does `' '.join(iterable)`. What doesn't work is len(iterable) or iterable[0], and in many, but not all cases, FanFicFare needs to save variables that will later be consumed that way -- but the difference between py2 and py3 is that py2's map() is py3's list(map()).
I'm not going to argue the point. All I know is that code that worked in Py2 failed in spectacularly obscure ways when I was making the FFF CLI run in Py3.

And rather than worry about the esoteric details about how and why they are different, I decided filter() & map() are simply broken and not to be used in code that needs to run on both Py2 and Py3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That being said, there are many who would say filter is un-pythonic. It's sort of a bikeshed issue whether to surround everything with list() or replace it with list comprehensions.
From what I understand (which I admit is very shallow), they were the 'pythonic' solutions before list comprehension came along to avoid writing loops and were extremely common. In my ignorance, I copied them from older code which probably copied from even older code.

Okay, I may be arguing the point a bit after all...
Old 05-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #3433
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
All I know is that code that worked in Py2 failed in spectacularly obscure ways when I was making the FFF CLI run in Py3.
I think it is probably fair to say many developers of python applications thought the same.

Quote:
From what I understand (which I admit is very shallow), they were the 'pythonic' solutions before list comprehension came along to avoid writing loops and were extremely common. In my ignorance, I copied them from older code which probably copied from even older code.

Okay, I may be arguing the point a bit after all...
List comprehensions, as well as generator expressions which are the predictable way to get a lighter-memory iterator when you actually want an iterator.

It is probably worth noting that python-modernize will happily convert filter()/map() to list/generator expressions. Can't be too wrong to do the same yourself...

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-14-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #3434
Arkeus
Enthusiast
Arkeus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
How are you choosing which sites you are making work? Is it possible to ask for a specific site to be added? I was thinking of https://www.scribblehub.com/ as it is slowly becoming popular.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #3435
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
How are you choosing which sites you are making work? Is it possible to ask for a specific site to be added? I was thinking of https://www.scribblehub.com/ as it is slowly becoming popular.
I rarely add new sites myself anymore for several reasons.

Most, if not all, of the new sites requested these days are new fiction or translated fiction instead of fanfiction. Newer, more interactive sites are frequently more difficult to implement. And mostly, I ran out of ambition for adding sites I don't read myself years ago.

These days new sites are mostly added by other people who want to read them. Which is kinda how it should be with an open source project.

Tags
fanfiction