Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-26-2022, 04:53 AM   #1
feklee
feklee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle M2L4EK
Question Downloading books: Latest Kindle vs. Keyboard 3G

I just ordered a Kindle Paperwhite (8 GB) with the 6.8" display. It would be an upgrade from my Kindle Keyboard 3G. Most important for me is the bigger screen size and the higher resulution.

Now I wonder: With the new device, will I still be able to download books from the Kindle and convert them to other formats using Calibre?

If not, I would rather keep my Kindle 3G and not go through with the upgrade. The reason is that eventually, once price drops, I plan to buy a Remarkable 2, to read and annotate books purchased via the Kindle. They need to be converted to PDF then.
feklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:10 AM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I was still able to do it. I just connect my Kindle to my PC and import books using Calibre. And if somehow that doesn't work, you can still download books via Contents and Devices on Amazon.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2022, 09:28 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by feklee View Post
Now I wonder: With the new device, will I still be able to download books from the Kindle and convert them to other formats using Calibre?
You will not be able to transfer books directly from the new Kindle via USB due to enhanced DRM.

As hleo12 wrote, you will be able to use Download & Transfer from the website to obtain usable copies for most books. However recent changes by Amazon have made me worried that this capability may not available in the long term.

I suggest that you buy a new Kindle for readability and also keep your old Kindle for easy access to book files. Amazon allows multiple Kindles to be registered to an account.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:15 AM   #4
feklee
feklee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle M2L4EK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You will not be able to transfer books directly from the new Kindle via USB due to enhanced DRM.

As hleo12 wrote, you will be able to use Download & Transfer from the website to obtain usable copies for most books. However recent changes by Amazon have made me worried that this capability may not available in the long term.
Good to know, thanks! Kind of confirms my worries.
feklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:33 AM   #5
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
I didn't know about this. When did this start? I remember being able to do this. I tested it and I can't do it anymore on my basic 10th gen. But I can still do it with my K4 non-touch. I guess that device still has its use
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2022, 12:09 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I didn't know about this. When did this start?
It is not possible to obtain a usable copy of most books via USB from Kindles running firmware version 5.12.2 (released September 2019) or later due to stronger DRM added by Amazon.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:14 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
It is not possible to obtain a usable copy of most books via USB from Kindles running firmware version 5.12.2 (released September 2019) or later due to stronger DRM added by Amazon.
We've used Download to PC ever since the PW3.

Recently the download doesn't happen, though still offered at checkout. Then you have to go to Devices & Content page, but you have to wait because the book isn't there immediately. Then downloading from that "Library" page to PC works.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:28 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
This thread is about copying books from kindle to pc over USB.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 05:48 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
This thread is about copying books from kindle to pc over USB.
I realise that. We switched to Download from Amazon to PC as we realised the files ON a kindle were useless via USB to PC even as a backup, like if Kindle got lost or broken.

Amazon are also adding DRM to books where the publisher has requested no DRM. This is abusive behaviour.

DRM cheats consumers and doesn't stop commercial "piracy" at all. Time it was illegal on all actual purchases but maybe allowed on rentals/library, though even there it's dubious.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:55 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Recently the download doesn't happen, though still offered at checkout. Then you have to go to Devices & Content page, but you have to wait because the book isn't there immediately. Then downloading from that "Library" page to PC works.

That's exactly what I do. And the from the PC to calibre. (A refresh will often cause the new ebook to be visible.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, download, epub, pdf