Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-30-2021, 06:37 AM   #1
bunbury
Enthusiast
bunbury doesn't litterbunbury doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Question What content server for koreader ?

My family and I all use Koreader as our ebook reader.
Sometimes on Android, sometimes on Kobo.

I want to centralize an access to our library.
And I don't quite understand all the differences between the different options.

There is
1 Calibre Content Server
2 Various tools that read a calibre library on disk and present it as HTML/OPDS
3 Connect as a wireless device

I understand calibre-web and cops and bicbucstriim are part of the second category and I understand what they do. So in that case I guess I can use my devices via koreader to access the OPDS stream or via the browser to access the library in HTML.
In that case, I can only download the ebook and that's it. No sync whatsoever.
Is that correct ?

The third option from what I read is not a good option with koreader who only has a basic implementation on this feature.

And for the first option, is koreader compatible with Calibre Content Server ? Is this a special protocol or simply another OPDS/HTML server ?

What route would you recommend with Koreader ? Which one is known to work flawlessly ?
bunbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Calibre Content Server works dependably as an OPDS server, that KOReader's app is well tuned to operate with. I use it all the time (including 5 mins ago) to add books to my ereader. The workflow I am using has calibre running anyway, as I prepare a purchase to fit in with what's on my device. What you describe would require having at least the content server part of calibre running all the time, so that what is on your calibre library would be available whenever someone wanted to find another book to read. (The server can be run on its own.) Of the options you mention, the content server seems the simplest, to me, but you might get closer to what you want with one of the other options.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2021, 12:10 PM   #3
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
There're two wireless options: OPDS and wireless client.

In OPDS you pull books from your device. Only needs a calibre instance running somewhere on your lan with the content server enabled.

In wireless client you push books from calibre to your device. You need phisical access to the computer where calibre runs.

Both alternatives are ok for transferring books but neither of them include any kind of sync.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:53 AM   #4
bunbury
Enthusiast
bunbury doesn't litterbunbury doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thanks for your help.
It makes sense.
I'm also going to try native Kobo sync with calibre-web.
Looks neat.
bunbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cops, html, opds catalog, remote library, server