Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2021, 04:47 AM   #1
Entwickler
Entwickler began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Compile kernel module for Pocketbook 740

I am trying to compile a kernel module for my Pocketbook 740 (Inkpad 3 Pro).
The device announces following kernel

Code:
Linux version 3.10.65+ (jenkins@bsp-builder) (gcc version 4.9.2 20140904 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1-4.9-2014.09 - Linaro GCC 4.9-2014.09) ) #2 SMP
I have tried two kernel sources:
I compiled them with
  • gcc-linaro-4.9-2015.05-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf
  • gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.9-2014.09_linux

using following commands:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export KCFLAGS="-mcpu=cortex-a8 -march=armv7-a -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"
CROSS_PREFIX=/workspace/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.9-2014.09_linux/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-
NCPUS=8
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE="${CROSS_PREFIX}" -j ${NCPUS} $1
Right now I am trying to insert the block device module loop.ko just to see if my build works. I seem to always get
Code:
$ insmod /mnt/ext1/loop.ko
insmod: can't insert '/mnt/ext1/loop.ko': invalid module format
When I consult file my module and the modules on the device look the same:
Code:
drivers/block/loop.ko: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), BuildID[sha1]=487b84d6a004392e0fe384329cb7ea2ffb87d38c, not stripped

epdc.ko: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), BuildID[sha1]=8c110ead8aa1506eee362cee022ba27f81394d0e, not stripped
Any help greatly appreciated.
Entwickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:37 AM   #2
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
Out of curiosity, where/how do you run insmod? Rooted SSH, or using chroot?
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
Entwickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wold View Post
Out of curiosity, where/how do you run insmod? Rooted SSH, or using chroot?
Yes, rooted the device and sshed to root.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:16 AM   #4
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Out of curiosity: Newer kerrnels won't work on the device?
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:13 AM   #5
Entwickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Out of curiosity: Newer kerrnels won't work on the device?
As far as I know you can not simply replace the kernel. The module for the eInk panel is closed source. So no point in trying that.
Advert
Old 06-30-2021, 01:42 PM   #6
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Can dmsg provide more info?

Would this help? (if CROSS_COMPILE does not equal -C)
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...e-format-error
Old 06-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #7
Entwickler

Quote:
Can dmsg provide more info?

Would this help? (if CROSS_COMPILE does not equal -C)
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...e-format-error
Unfortunately dmsg is empty. I guess this is because of old and stripped down version of insmod? Will have a look at your link, thx.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #8
wold
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entwickler View Post
Unfortunately dmsg is empty. I guess this is because of old and stripped down version of insmod?
Possibly. Or --level requires adjustment (consult dmesg --help + man pages). Or the buffer was cleared.

Else try:
echo Some message > /dev/kmsg
and check with dmesg. Assuming kmsg is available.

Last edited by wold; 07-01-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #9
Entwickler

Quote:
Possibly. Or --level requires adjustment (consult dmesg --help + man pages). Or the buffer was cleared.

Else try:
echo Some message > /dev/kmsg
and check with dmesg. Assuming kmsg is available.
I did everything from scratch and followed your advice and got some error output after all. Now the module is working. thx a million