Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 04-23-2021, 06:22 AM   #1
georgehuang
Enthusiast
georgehuang began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook, iPhone, Kindle Paperwhite
Browser reader suggestion: allow scrolling during Read Aloud

Although I see myself as an avid reader, I found that I am actually not very good at reading texts. As a result, I constantly rely on technologies like Calibre's Read Aloud to help me get meanings out of written words. However, only listening is not enough, I usually need to look at the text and listen at the same time to really get it, which means I will have to following along the spoken words and turn the pages accordingly.

On Calibre's browser reader, words being spoken by Read Aloud are not highlighted like those on the Viewer app, which is OK for me, but scrolling and turning of pages also seem to be disabled. This makes it quite hard to follow along. Of course, the best way to do this is to highlight the spoken text and also turn the pages automatically. But before that is supported, can we consider unblocking scrolling at least in "flow mode"?

FYI, I use Firefox on macOS and iOS.
georgehuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It is a limitation of browser's speech apis that prevents highlighting. You will find highlighting works fine in the calibre native viewer. As for scrolling I believe it works fine with keyboard shortcuts already. Sadly implementing scrolling with touch is a lot of work for technical reasons, so its not something I plan on doing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #3
georgehuang
Enthusiast

I understand. Had a feeling these functions must be hard to implement, otherwise they would have been implemented already.

In my browser, scrolling does not work with keyboard shortcuts. It seems to me that Read Aloud's UI is hijacking the inputs: space bar controls play/pause instead of scrolling forward; arrow keys and page-up/page-down also fail to scroll the page.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

which browser is this??
Old 04-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Never mind, it was a bug: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...59c2ff44afdc81
Advert
Old 04-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #6
georgehuang
Enthusiast

I tried it on Safari, Firefox and Chrome. None of them can scroll with keyboard during Read Aloud.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #7
georgehuang
Enthusiast

I see. Thanks for the fix!

Tags
calibre, content server, read aloud, viewer