Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-04-2021, 11:25 PM   #1
Laszlo
Laszlo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, Icarus 9.7, Onyx Products
Reading App for mathematical ePub

I have a Onyx Boox Note 2, and I do read a lot of mathematical ePub full of formulas and tricky css.

The default reader NeoReader V3.0 does not renders them correctly.
I found the PocketBook App that renders them correctly, but the problem that I have with PocketBook App is:
  1. That the contrast is not that good (find this very annoying).
  2. And on eInk black and white screen/device is very hard to see the settings (it is for LCD and color screens)
  3. Even using my phone as helper (to see menu settings) could not find the place where to set a proper contrast.

Does anybody know a good eInk Android Reader App that:
  1. Renders correctly complex ePub-s (ePub3), complicated css and mathematical formula
  2. You can navigate the settings on eInk screens
  3. Has a good contrast and it is optimized for eInk screens

I do not care if it is a expensive paid App.
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:33 AM   #2
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Try most recent version of KOReader, it recently added MathML support, and see if it works for you. It's optimized for Eink too.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Yes the latest KOreader seems to work well for that. Adobe Digital Editions also works but isn't the quickest.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #4
Laszlo
Laszlo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, Icarus 9.7, Onyx Products
Installed KOReader and I can confirm that you can read:
  1. Mathematical Books
  2. Computer Science Books
  3. Engineering Books
  4. Textbooks

of ePub format.

The truth is, that the rendering of the page with KOReader is not as nice with PocketBook, but it is still better than NeoReader V3.0.

The situation is that PocketBook somehow renders the pages in a very professional way, and knows "Tip Boxes" and other tricky css layouts. It even "grayscales" some backgrounds in text boxes.
But as I said PocketBook contrast is just bad.

With KOReader not only can you set a very high contrast, but will keep images separated from text. In other words will keep images normal and text dark.

KOReader will be my default reader. Might not render pages as super professionally as PocketBook, but it is good enough, and contrast is phenomenal, where PocketBook contrast is bad.

And yes I also noted the page turning speed with KOReader. I do have some complaints on how to set things up, but that is just lack of knowledge regarding usage.

Thank you Galunid and salamanderjuice for recommending this.

Tried Adobe Digital Editions and do not like it, it has its own library.
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #5
seaworthy
seaworthy began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note3, Likebook Mimas
I've also had issues getting mathML to format correctly. I haven't tried the KO reader or Pocketbook apps yet but so far have been pretty happy with Reasily. I'm curious how it stacks up against the previous apps you've mentioned?
seaworthy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, epub, epub 3, formulas, mathematical