Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I think saying 20% faster is more marketing. The Kindle 3 from videos (and I will confirm when it arrives) does look faster with the page turns, but if Amazon advertised it as "Faster page turns" most would take it with a grain of salt. Put "20% faster page turns" and suddenly a measurable (albeit difficult for the average user to time) factor and it kind of becomes a reliable claim.

Regarding battery, anyone know how long the battery will last in hours using TTS or playing mp3s? My reading only shows the battery life with reading, not playing audio.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #17
pen_sq
Enthusiast
pen_sq began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm not interested enough to drain my Kindle battery playing music, but I imagine they didn't expand the battery size at all. Battery lifetime gains were done purely in efficiency improvements. They probably have newer chip designs that are even more keyed in to powering off quickly, while still reliably detecting events where they're needed on again. The same old life on speakers (sluurp), 4 hours IIRC.

To go a bit off topic - Power is one good reason to leave out an SD card. The cheapest card on the block probably skipped on doing power management, and dumps any sleep command in the same bit bucket as error correction data. I'm not an EE, but power-down costs another separate power transistor (plus buffer transistors - data lines hate being fiddled while the lights are out), which eats their razor margins. So I've been told. At any rate, it's not worth trusting your hardware's stability and reputation to some moron at B-Data storage chips (available in flash and kettle cooked; our BGA goes great with DIP!).

Last edited by pen_sq; 08-31-2010 at 07:34 PM.
pen_sq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert