Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Automatically adding additional formats for a book?

If I drag a book which already exists in my Calibre library from Windows Explorer onto Calibre, at present it will create a duplicate library entry for it. I know that I can add a new format by selecting "Edit Metadata" for an existing format, and adding the new format from there, but it would be nice to be able to add new formats with "drag and drop". Eg, if I already have a book in my library in Mobi format, I'd like to be able to drag an LRF version of the same book onto Calibre, and have it added as an additional format for the same catalog entry, rather than as a new entry.

Is there a way to do this, which I've overlooked? If there isn't a way, may I make an enhacement request for the facility to be added, please?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can do it using the command line, but not using the GUI drag and drop. I'd rather keep the drag and drop for adding new books,a s that is the more common case. At some point I'll implement drag and drop onto the formats window of the edit meta information dialog, that should make it a little smoother.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a suggestion, but could you not do something like this:

If the book is an additional format for a catalog entry that's already present, add it as an additional format for that catalog entry.

If the book is a duplicate of an existing format, ask the user if it should overwrite the existing entry with the same format, or create a new catalog entry.

Of course, you know best if there are reasons why this wouldn't work, but it sounds like a reasonable interface.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm worth looking into, open a ticket for it. But it will be a while before I can find the time to look at this.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Added as ticket #3298. Thanks for considering it!
Advert