Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Decal Girl

Decal Girl https://www.decalgirl.com/ now has skins for the Forma btw. I mentioned this in passing in a review of the Forma sleepcover, but I know a lot of folks here like adding these skins to their devices.

I still have not gotten mine, there was a mix up in the address which got corrected so hopefully sometime this week *knocks on wood*.

It appears to be a three piece set, one for the back, one for the button area, and another to go around the bezel of the screen.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Thanks! Interesting (sad) that they seem to have skipped making a skin for the slippery Clara.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I agree, @Mrs_Often.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

reach out to them on fb, I asked them to make a skin for the a1 and the forma, and both were made. They seem pretty open to anything, I have to imagine it's down to drawing up a template and boom.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
A post in facebook? I can try to do it for Clara.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2018, 12:52 AM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard

Not even a post, just message their page. They're pretty good about getting back to you, though they are based in Delaware so won't respond until business hours there.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:00 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I contacted them directly through chat on their website right after the Clara came out, to request a skin for the Clara. They couldn’t promise anything...

Maybe if more requests came in they’d reconsider? Or maybe it’s too difficult to make a skin for the Cara? Or maybe the skins don’t stick on the slippery back
Old 12-03-2018, 03:34 AM   #8
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Cool. I loved their Composition Notebook decal on my H2O (only used the back decal though).
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I contacted them directly through chat on their website right after the Clara came out, to request a skin for the Clara. They couldn’t promise anything...

Maybe if more requests came in they’d reconsider? Or maybe it’s too difficult to make a skin for the Cara? Or maybe the skins don’t stick on the slippery back

Lol could be. I don’t know how many people reached out to them for the Forma obviously but I have to guess more people bought Clara’s based on the pricing.

All I know is I contacted DecalGirl on October 19th and by November 24th they were advertising it on their Facebook page (I ordered it maybe two days before this but that order was the one that had an address mess up).

USPS claims my order is out for delivery today by 8pm EST so hopefully my wait is almost over.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:19 AM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard

So I got the skin today/yesterday. I've applied one to my Forma though I am not 100% satisfied with the job I did on the bit that goes around the bezel (I'll re-do it tomorrow some time as I got a few just in case this happened).

It looks great, I ordered the matte black as I am a man of simple tastes, this skin cuts down on the oily finger prints that accumulate around the button area of the Forma, and cuts down on the slight glare from the bezel. I won't go into too much detail since it's DecalGirl you know what you're getting here.

The hardest installation was the bezel area, as mentioned I am not thrilled with the job I did. I'm not sure if you're meant to use the little strip that covers the actual buttons but I did anyway and I am glad I did. It makes whole area a bit more subtle.

It totally covers the subtle branding on the Forma itself, which IMO is a great benefit. The 'rakuten kobo' on the back is not deep enough for the skin to sink in enough to be really visible at least in my limited attempts to ensure this was the case.

Speaking of cases, the back panel is big enough to apply to the front flap of the official Forma Sleepcover case. I have the black one (noticing a trend here?) so there's much less contrast than the plum one may show. This was only done to see if it would cover the shiny Rakuten Kobo branding on the front flap, if you haven't picked up on it I am not a big fan of branding. However I do have to note that doing this has one drawback, you will not be able to use the case as a stand, the skin material just does not give enough. Personally I do not think this is a big deal, I never intend to use the stand feature ever anyway.

The skin on both the Forma and case does not interfere with the sleep function at all, nor does it prevent the magnets holding the front cover to the back when you open the case. So really the -only- thing you lose by doing this is the stand functionality. Again this is my personal view but I think that's a fair trade for the covering of the branding. It is -possible- if you really wanted the stand functionality that cutting the skin along the joint lines of the sleepcover would work. Those joint depressions are deep enough that the skin will sink into them, it's still big enough to cover the front flap from left to right in portrait mode there is a slight gap on the top and bottom. As I opted for matte black for the skin on a black case this does not stick out too much. Obviously for other colors and patterns/images for the skins this will not be the case.

I may post pictures tomorrow if I do reapply the bezel skin to my liking.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:48 AM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Nice, thank you for sharing!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #12
pocketsizevera
pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Has anyone try ordering from Canada? Did you get charge additional import taxes?
pocketsizevera is offline   Reply With Quote