Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #46
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threepwood View Post
Does Audible Support mean it features Immersion Reading?
That's why it is now waterproof.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
That's why it is now waterproof.
...good one
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
How far down the road do you want? My Aura that I bought refurbished in April 2016 is still humming along and shows no signs of slowing. So is the old Nook ST w Glowlight that I bought in 2013.

I'd rather have a waterproof reader that I can take worry free into the tub for five years than a reader with a replaceable battery (both would be even better, I suppose).
I've got a Kindle (non-touch) where the battery is getting weak(er) and I will soon be replacing it. Then the first Touch I bought will also need a battery replacement soon. I've bought a used Kindle Keyboard that needed a new battery (and it's humming along fine now) and I've also replaced the battery on a used Nook Simple Touch (that I gave to my son) — it was like new, but I don't think the battery had been charged in years. My original NST will need a battery soon, as well. And I've got a Sony PRS-350 that will need a battery replaced (at least I think it's the battery — I bought it used, it might be more serious).

So the ability to replace batteries is important to me. Waterproofing? I don't read in the water. But I do realize that everyone is different. One person's necessary feature is another person's "meh."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #49
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
As for no "warm color" feature ... I'm really surprised they didn't add that. I really thought they would.
On a model named Paperwhite?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
On a model named Paperwhite?
Even with the warm color setting it could still go white, right? When the Paperwhite first came out there was no warm color setting feature ... anywhere. Maybe there's some kind of patent on the method other companies are using for the warm light?
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #51
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A nice incremental update. Good for those who don't already have a paperwhite, voyage or oasis.

I suppose the extra storage might appeal to some.
I've got a PW3 (since 2015) and have long been eyeing the Oasis 2 for the water resistance and 32GB storage. However, I just couldn't bring myself to bite the bullet at ~$300 with tax (plus no manual orientation/rotation is a possible con for my usage). This PW4 looks far more palatable particularly with the 25% trade-in promo discount.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #52
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I'm underwhelmed, but I ordered one anyway.

I want a small waterproof ereader, I have forty-five dollars in trade-in credit, and I like buying ereaders.

It seems I will have to resign myself to the fact that nobody wants to make high-end ereaders in small form. In a more perfect world it would be smaller and lighter, it would have buttons, and it most definitely would have the comfort light.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #53
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Anyone know yet if the new software will be based on Android, or not?
Doubtful.
Amazon readers are pared-down LINUX. (Started out as Debian-derived if I recall.)
Less incentive for hackers so they don't get drawn into a war like Nook.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #54
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any word on the CPU/RAM yet?
32Gb storage won't be too useful if the firmware can't manage big accumulations.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #55
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Doubtful.
Amazon readers are pared-down LINUX. (Started out as Debian-derived if I recall.)
Less incentive for hackers so they don't get drawn into a war like Nook.
I only say this because someone — in another thread — mentioned that the newest software for a Kindle in China (maybe not the main Chinese Kindle branch), 6.x.x was Android. I certainly hope it's not Android.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #56
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I only say this because someone — in another thread — mentioned that the newest software for a Kindle in China (maybe not the main Chinese Kindle branch), 6.x.x was Android. I certainly hope it's not Android.
Probably an urban legend.
(Confusing Kindle with FIRE OS gadgetry.)

With all the talk of KINDLE glacial upgrade pace, they have no incentive to ditch a stable, small footprint codebase for...?
On minimalist gadgetry getting as close to the metal is best and it's hard to get more minimalist than Kindles.

As of last year, they were still Linux:

https://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/kindle-root

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-16-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I want a small waterproof ereader... In a more perfect world it would be smaller and lighter, it would have buttons, and it most definitely would have the comfort light.
They could have called it, oh, I dunno... Voyage 2?
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #58
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
And I've got a Sony PRS-350 that will need a battery replaced (at least I think it's the battery — I bought it used, it might be more serious).
Just a quick offtopic aside - if you bought it used did it come with an original sony charger? And is it simply not charging? I had a Sony reader that I thought was dead until I got an original Sony charger for it - in this case it was a Playstation Portable charger. That resolved the problem.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #59
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Any word on the CPU/RAM yet?
32Gb storage won't be too useful if the firmware can't manage big accumulations.
That depends on content type. My manga (Japanese comics) averages around 80MB per volume so 32GB would barely fit ~400 of those. A piece of cake even for the PW3.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #60
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Just a quick offtopic aside - if you bought it used did it come with an original sony charger? And is it simply not charging? I had a Sony reader that I thought was dead until I got an original Sony charger for it - in this case it was a Playstation Portable charger. That resolved the problem.
I've got original chargers (both for the mini and micro USB Sonys). I'll try it, but the 350 uses a micrUSB charger, so it's not going to be the same as those who could use the PSP chargers. What it does is, if plugged in, is blink three times if I try to turn it on. Otherwise, no light ever. (Just remembered, I threw the battery away, anticipating getting a new one.) It still blinks three times without the battery when plugged in — I just found that out accidentally.