Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
gulluwing
gulluwing began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
is it better kindle or kobo touch to read pdf with koreader?

I already own a tablet but I would like an e-reader to use on the beach to read pdf ewspapers.
I read that these devices would not be a good solution to read pdf but installing koreader display improves.
I'd like to know:
- For better vision and faster reflow of pdf with koreader it is preferable to kindle (the cheaper version) or for kobo touch? Or is it better to opt for higher models?
- is it possible to read a newspaper?
- After installing koreader can I reset the device to factory version to restore the guarantee?
Thanks a lot
gulluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
gulluwing

No one replies me?
Advert
Old 06-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Kindle no longer supports Koreader. The software is totally locked down and you cannot customize it in any way.

For pdf, get the Kobo. It is customizable, you can run Koreader and do many more things. With the Kindle you are stuck with its base, limited functionality and cannot add to it.

If you can afford it, I recommend the H2O as the bigger screen will help with pdfs. Read the pdfs in landscape.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
gulluwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The Kindle no longer supports Koreader. The software is totally locked down and you cannot customize it in any way.

For pdf, get the Kobo. It is customizable, you can run Koreader and do many more things. With the Kindle you are stuck with its base, limited functionality and cannot add to it.

If you can afford it, I recommend the H2O as the bigger screen will help with pdfs. Read the pdfs in landscape.
Have you never used it to read a newspaper? Some people say that the ereader are too small.
Thanks a lot and excuse me for my bad english
Old 06-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
E-readers are a bit too small to read pdfs. But if you have decent software (like Koreader, I imagine) and put it in landscape, it's doable. I've read scanned pdfs okay on 6" readers. It depends on the software. Open Android devices are probably the best, but a Kobo is flexible. Get 6.8" if you can.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
To add to Rizla's suggestion, this long (37+ minutes) youtube video comparing the 6.8" H2O and the 8" Pocketbook Inkpad 840 for PDFs prefers the H2O with KOReader.

If you go 6", and don't mind preparing each PDF, k2pdfopt is quite nice. That's what I use to optimize PDFs for viewing (mostly in landscape) on my locked-down PW2.

Last edited by jj2me; 06-06-2015 at 08:43 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote