Notices

Old 11-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #1
pg111
Connoisseur
pg111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to visually report a field in Book Viewer

Hi everybody,

Further BetterRed's excellent suggestion a few weeks ago, I started to use Evernotes to manage author info. So I now have a number of links to EN records in the Manage author table.

My today's question is: Is there any way to visually mark in Book viewer any Author field that has an EN link? For instance marking it with a star or changing its color.

Any idea thankfully welcome in advance.
pg111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg111 View Post
Hi everybody,

Further BetterRed's excellent suggestion a few weeks ago, I started to use Evernotes to manage author info. So I now have a number of links to EN records in the Manage author table.

My today's question is: Is there any way to visually mark in Book viewer any Author field that has an EN link? For instance marking it with a star or changing its color.

Any idea thankfully welcome in advance.
A book's Author Link values can be obtained via the author_links template function (see Get values from metadata). You could use that in a Column Colour or Column Icon rule to set a colour or icon if an EN link exists. **

However, you wrote "visually mark in Book viewer". If that is what you really mean, then you might be able to use the author_links function to create a custom composite column that could be injected into a book jacket - although I'm not entirely sure that such columns can injected into a jacket.

Added : ** if you devise such a rule perhaps you could post it

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-18-2018 at 07:38 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
A book's Author Link values can be obtained via the author_links template function (see Get values from metadata). You could use that in a Column Colour or Column Icon rule to set a colour or icon if an EN link exists.

However, you wrote "visually mark in Book viewer". If that what you really meant then you might be able to use the author_links function to create a custom composite column that could be injected into a book jacket - I'm not sure that such columns can injected into a jacket.

BR
Thanks, BR, as usual. Changing colour would be enough if I can get this result. I guess I can use it for other fields as well.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, BR, as usual. Changing colour would be enough if I can get this result. I guess I can use it for other fields as well.
See my Added in previous post.

I prefer using icons to colours, its easier to remember what they mean, e.g. for your particular case you could use something like this Name:  en.png
Views: 268
Size:  925 Bytes

If you have multiple indicative icons such as your Author Links example, you can attach them to a single a placeholder integer column using a composed icon with no text.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-18-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
See my Added in previous post.

I prefer using icons to colours, its easier to remember what they mean, e.g. for your particular case you could use something like this Attachment 167808

If you have multiple indicative icons such as your Author Links example, you can attach them to a single a placeholder integer column using a composed icon with no text.

BR
Dear BR,

Thanks for the advice but I'm afraid I'm lost and need some guidance.

Plse refer to the attached screenshot.

What I would like to get is to draw attention to the field marked by the red arrow either by displaying it with an icon (as per your suggestion) or by displaying it in a different color.

How could I get this result? Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-20 01-44-57 calibre -    !pg's eBooks   .jpg
Views:	88
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	167821  
Old 11-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Dear BR,

What I would like to get is to draw attention to the field marked by the red arrow either by displaying it with an icon (as per your suggestion) or by displaying it in a different color.

I think the issue is everything (except cover) on that page is TEXT.
While some character sets do include a 'tick mark', the worm can opens if the user changes system fonts to one that does not have that glyph. Calibre is robust by avoidin worm holes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Dear BR,

You can't alter the manner in which columns are displayed in the Book Details panel

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-19-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:51 AM   #8
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
You can't alter the manner in which columns are displayed in the Book Details panel

BR
Thanks BR. I guess it is the same for Author's name? I would like to indicate this field has info linked to it. Any idea to work the problem out? Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-11-20 08-47-10 calibre -    !pg's eBooks   .jpg
Views:	78
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	167840  
Old 11-20-2018, 04:07 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Maybe Kovid could use a colour other than Blue (e.g. Green) if an author has an Evernote URI in the authors.link database column.

If I paste a Note Link from Evernote into a Custom Long Text Column it shows in Green viz:

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	79
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	167843

I'm not 100% sure if the markup in the HTML is generated by calibre or if it comes via the clipboard - all I know is that I certainly don't put it there:

Code:
<div>
<a href="https://www.evernote.com/shard/s105/nl/12032092/53365fed-4bc7-4b19-b5ce-118cc9e56acf" style="color:#69aa35"><b>The Ambassador in China (Hurley) to the Secretary of State | Teaching American History</b></a>
</div>
But I suspect its done by calibre, because if I paste the same link into a .html file all I get is the https://evernote . . . URI. As you can see it also gets the Note Title - pretty good stuff.

BR
Old 11-20-2018, 06:12 AM   #10
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
Maybe Kovid could use a colour other than Blue (e.g. Green) if an author has an Evernote URI in the authors.link database column.

[...]

BR
BR, do you mean that only a software-level change by Kovid could give the requested change? So we should ask for it as a wishlist item?
Old 11-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid changing the link color based on the contents of the link is not going to happen, but you can easily (well not exactly easily) accomplish this by creating a column based on other columns that contains HTML and write a template for it that generates the needed colored HTML based ont he value of the authors_link.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm afraid changing the link color based on the contents of the link is not going to happen, but you can easily (well not exactly easily) accomplish this by creating a column based on other columns that contains HTML and write a template for it that generates the needed colored HTML based ont he value of the authors_link.
Thanks, Kovid. Looks like it is beyond my current knowledge of your wonderful software. Could some charitable soul explain how I can create such a column? Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by pg111; 11-28-2018 at 07:24 AM.