Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Problem adding additional formats

For weeks now I've been having a problem adding additional formats to existing books (as opposed to adding new books, which works fine). For e.g. adding a format to an empty book, or adding another format to a book that already has one. When I try it, nothing happens; I just get a busy cursor until I eventually have to shut down Calibre via the Task Manager.

This particular task worked perfectly fine in the past; I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong now

Some info: I'm presently up to Calibre version 0.9.29 (32-bit); Win 7 64-bit system, as of today running 16GB of RAM (previously 4GB).

Any thoughts?
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Drag and drop still works on XP SP3 ( I usualy drop an additional format into the Details pane, but sometimes into the formats section of the Metadata editor.)

Which (failing) method do you use?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Drag and drop still works on XP SP3 ( I usualy drop an additional format into the Details pane, but sometimes into the formats section of the Metadata editor.)

Which (failing) method do you use?
I use the "Add a format to this book" option in the Edit Metadata dialog box. I've never dragged and dropped with Calibre but I tried it just now and I'm having the same problem (though it works fine when I just add a book).
Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I use the "Add a format to this book" option in the Edit Metadata dialog box. I've never dragged and dropped with Calibre but I tried it just now and I'm having the same problem (though it works fine when I just add a book).

Where (on what KIND of drive) is your Library?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:

Where (on what KIND of drive) is your Library?
On a regular C Drive? This is the path: C:\Users\"My Name"\Documents\"Folder"\eBooks
Old 05-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
On a regular C Drive? This is the path: C:\Users\"My Name"\Documents\"Folder"\eBooks
That is the 'Traditional' way
(Calibre does sometimes have problems with some network drives: Which is why that way is not recommended).

You might try excluding JUST the Library folder (and sub folders) from the REAL TIME anti virus scan (The books will have been scanned when you downloaded them )

other than that, we will need to have Kovid weigh in on this.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Loosheesh
Wizard

After tinkering around with settings and preferences, I think the problem is being caused by the DRM removal plugins. When I disable the plugins I'm able to add additional formats to an existing book; if the plugins are enabled, the problem returns. What's with the misbehavior now? I never had that problem before.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
After tinkering around with settings and preferences, I think the problem is being caused by the DRM removal plugins. When I disable the plugins I'm able to add additional formats to an existing book; if the plugins are enabled, the problem returns. What's with the misbehavior now? I never had that problem before.
Have you recently run with a second (third ) monitor attached?
Sometimes there is a Dialog that pops up (on a now missing Screen )
Calibre made some changes that BROKE some of the PI that are found here at MR.

You might want to check with your tool source.

BTW Great detective work
Old 05-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Have you recently run with a second (third ) monitor attached?
Sometimes there is a Dialog that pops up (on a now missing Screen )
Calibre made some changes that BROKE some of the PI that are found here at MR.

You might want to check with your tool source.

BTW Great detective work
I'm using a laptop, and I've never attached any peripherals to it (except a wireless mouse). Also, tonight I updated the DRM plugins to the latest version (well, the one before the latest) and the problem is still there.

The only thing that's probably worth mentioning is that I switched computers a few months ago. When I installed Calibre on my present laptop I simply connected it to the library folder I downloaded from my Mozy backup. But everything worked fine up until sometime last month.

Thanks for the help in eliminating probable causes. Even without a definite solution, knowing the origin of the problem is helpful because I can work around it by simply adding any additional formats as a new book and then merging with the existing one. It's a long way but ... *shrug*
Old 05-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
I had the same problem with adding formats a couple of weeks ago. For me it was the Annotations plugin that caused the problem. (I'm also on Win 7)
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
I had the same problem with adding formats a couple of weeks ago. For me it was the Annotations plugin that caused the problem. (I'm also on Win 7)
The Annotations plugin came to mind yesterday when I was trying to isolate the problem, as it was one of the few changes I made to my Calibre around the time the issue started. I figured it couldn't be that because no one else reported a problem, so I dismissed the idea without testing it I'll do that now and report back.

Last edited by Loosheesh; 05-12-2013 at 06:37 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 05-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Karma for you!! The problem was indeed caused by the Annotations plugin. I removed it and everything's back to normal. so very much.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great!

I meant to test more before I reported it, and then forgot about it... I'll post my debug log in the plugin thread, so GRiker can take a look at it.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Great!

I meant to test more before I reported it, and then forgot about it... I'll post my debug log in the plugin thread, so GRiker can take a look at it.
Great! I like the Annotations plugin and would like to reinstall if possible.

How do you get at the debug log? Since I was getting no error message I couldn't figure out how to copy and paste a log of the problem (or if there'd even be a log somewhere ) for a more knowledgeable person to check out.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
tilia
Evangelist

Right-click on the Preferences icon, and you'll see an option to restart in debug mode. You can also use Ctrl+Shift-R

Did you use the plugin just for your iPad, or for your kindles as well? I couldn't get the plugin to import any annotations from my kindle. I've used the existing Fetch Annotations feature in calibre, but that only works for mobis, not kf8/azw3.