Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
sharon888
sharon888 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
New Nook Owner

I just became a member of the Nook owners club. I chose the Nook because I can use it to borrow eBooks from the library. I've acquired four new library cards since getting the Nook so I can have access to more eBooks! I wish there were better tools for organizing and locating eBooks in the My Documents folder. It's OK to look through a few pages sorted by author or title, but that method will get tedious as the list of books in there grows. Hopefully that will come in a future update. You can sort titles by recently added so I guess that's something.

I live in Southern California and am leaving tomorrow to visit my family in NJ for a week. Usually I bring a pile of library books with me, but this time I'm taking the Nook loaded with a bunch of electronic books I've borrowed from the library. I'm curious to see how I'll like it.

Thanks for listening!
sharon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon888 View Post
I just became a member of the Nook owners club. I chose the Nook because I can use it to borrow eBooks from the library. I've acquired four new library cards since getting the Nook so I can have access to more eBooks! I wish there were better tools for organizing and locating eBooks in the My Documents folder.
Welcome to MobileRead Forums and congrats on your new nook. It is a great ereader. As far as organizing your books, there is a process to upgrade your nook's firmware called softroot. I believe there is a better way to organize your books if you softroot. What part of NJ are you traveling to? I live near Atlantic City.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Have a safe trip sharon888 ... and enjoy your Nook
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Welcome to the Nook family, and especially to Mobile Read, Sharon888. remember, reading your Nook while driving is strongly discouraged.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
sharon888

Well I read my Nook for the whole plane ride across the country and it worked great. I worked on my swiping. If you hit the touch screen too hard instead of lightly swiping it, it wakes up and you have to wait for it to go dark again. I'm sure I'll become a more efficient swiper as I go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
What part of NJ are you traveling to? I live near Atlantic City.

~eddie
I will be in Atlantic City on Monday. The rest of the time I will be driving up and down the Garden State Parkway visiting the various members of my family. And reading my Nook when I can!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Sharon. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I will be in Atlantic City on Monday. The rest of the time I will be driving up and down the Garden State Parkway visiting the various members of my family. And reading my Nook when I can!
It is very hot in the South Jersey area. It's been that way for the last couple of weeks. Some high temperature records were broken. I guess mother nature is making up for the record snow fall we had this past winter. The ocean water is nice and warm if you plan to go swimming.
Enjoy your trip and your nook.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Welcome to the nook! I also love my nook for library books - I haven't bought a book since April! I'm sure you know this, but as an FYI, we have 2 great libraries in SoCal - LA Public Library (with over 3,000 epubs) and County of LA Public Library (with close to 1,000 epubs). CoLA is also really good with adding books to the collection if you suggest a purchase. Make sure to get both cards for endless reading!

Other libraries in the area that are pretty decent of San Diego Public and San Diego County. I've seen a large collection at San Francisco, so I'm going to need to find an excuse to hit the bay area soon for a library card there...
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
tythoward
tythoward began at the beginning.

Hi Sharon,
I got my Nook on yesterday ... July 14th as a birthday present from my co-workers and I'm very excited. I'm trying to see which of my ebooks i can transfer over to my nook. I've purchased several for my droid phone from different places ...i.e. Amazon, ereader.com, shorcovers.com, etc.

But, I'm tooooooooo thrilled to have my new Nook.

Congrats on yours
tythoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tythoward View Post
Hi Sharon,
I got my Nook on yesterday ... July 14th as a birthday present from my co-workers and I'm very excited. I'm trying to see which of my ebooks i can transfer over to my nook. I've purchased several for my droid phone from different places ...i.e. Amazon, ereader.com, shorcovers.com, etc.

But, I'm tooooooooo thrilled to have my new Nook.

Congrats on yours
I need co-workers like yours
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
Snowie
Snowie began at the beginning.

I love my Nook, so welcome to the club. Like you one of the main reasons I went with the Nook was that I could borrow from the library. I also like having flexiblity of formats and from where I can buy books.
Snowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Welcome! Glad to see another library user. The more libraries see a patron demand for e-books the more likely they are to allocate collection funds for that purpose.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
ejm
Enthusiast
ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook & PRS-600
Quote:
Well I read my Nook for the whole plane ride across the country and it worked great. I worked on my swiping. If you hit the touch screen too hard instead of lightly swiping it, it wakes up and you have to wait for it to go dark again. I'm sure I'll become a more efficient swiper as I go along.
You might consider reducing your color display timing down to the minimum (10 seconds?) ... which is how you can encourage the color touch window returning to "swipe" mode as quickly as possible. Once you get used to the menu screens, you really don't need to keep it on display mode much more than 10 seconds anyhow. This also helps extend the battery (just like lowering the brightness and turning on airplane mode).

Enjoy!
ejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #14
sashusmom
Enthusiast
sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iphone 3gs-(JB), asus 1000h, e-ink nook, libre pro, Wht PDN, Huawei s7
Hello Sharon888-
I'm glad you love your nook. I've had mine for 3 weeks and love it too. Welcome to MR. Did you enjoy Jersey? I'm in North Jersey and know the parkway well!! I don't drive it in the summer anywhere near the beaches- the shore traffic is miserable!
sashusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
sharon888

The trip to NJ with my Nook went great. I spent a lot of time on the plane explaining to my seatmates what it was and how it worked. I also had an opportunity to perfect my swiping. Turning the color display timing down to 10 seconds definitely helped. Now I just have to keep up with all the library books I've requested! I wish there was a way you could tell in Adobe Digital Editions, which library a book is from. I've got books out from four different libraries. When a new book becomes available I usually have to return a book so I can take out the new one since I seem to have the maximum number of books checked out from each library. I guess I've gotten a little carried away with the whole Nook thing!