Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 AM   #76
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I think people need to be less pedantic with dictionary definitions and be pragmatic. Advertisements on television are technically a bonus, but no one considers them so. The preview of the next episode at the end of the current episode might technically be a bonus, but no one considers them so.

If people still want to keep thumping their dictionaries, feel free to do so. I refuse to consider excerpts from the next book a bonus feature.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:28 AM   #77
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
If people still want to keep thumping their dictionaries, feel free to do so. I refuse to consider excerpts from the next book a bonus feature.
I'm not thumping a dictionary. I'm thumping personal opinion--and calling B.S. on anyone claiming that calling an excerpt a bonus is "lying."

You don't consider excerpts a bonus?... Cool beans. No problem in the world with that. You think calling an excerpt "bonus material" is "lying?"... Bullspit. Gonna call ya (rhet.) on it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #78
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
This has to be one of the all-time silliest threads.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #79
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I always strip the bonus excerpt out because for one, it gives an incorrect word count as it's not part of the book I am going to be reading.
Are you on a quota, then?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #80
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
And the only time I ever defaced books was to rip out those advertisements.
Apache
Wouldn't that be dedefaced or maybe refaced?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #81
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Are you on a quota, then?
Some of us like to know how much is left to read. For example: is it possible to finish the book tonight, or should I finish the chapter and finish the book tomorrow?
Old 01-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #82
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Wouldn't that be dedefaced or maybe refaced?
Disinfected
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #83
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Disinfected
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #84
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
This has to be one of the all-time silliest threads.
Sadly, you are wrong. This one here takes the cake: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245813
Especially as it was proven factually incorrect in a purely objective sense (see post #11).

Hmm, it too was started by JSWolf...

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-11-2015 at 12:50 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:52 PM   #85
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as I am concerned, a "bonus" is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Dictionary.com says "something extra or additional given freely"
Oxford online (free) says "an extra and unexpected advantage".

I guess Oxford really is the best!

eta: Hang on, I just did a Merriam-Webster lookup online - and it says "something good that is more than what was expected or required". Different editions?
and as long as enough people consider any particular thing to be an additional good thing, that when someone refers to it as a "bonus", one can comprehend why it was referred to as one.

Being as the word "bonus" is Yet Another One of these "subjective" concepts... subjectivity is really the only way you can ever meaningfully define it.

And as long as it can subjectively fit the definition (and it does fit that definition enough times that we can become aware of that selection) then it is a bonus in a general sense. Whether it is a bonus in a personal sense, remains entirely within the control of the individual person (because I am not going to tell you what you are and aren't allowed to like) but is also completely irrelevant in any matter stretching beyond that one individual.

Verdict: If you are going to rant objectively about it online (by definition this is any time you aren't specifically referring to your opinion about the matter), it had better be a universally accepted opinion, and my first question will be "where is your data that this is true in an objective sense".

Speaking of which, back to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
An excerpt is not a bonus. It's an excerpt. So call it what it is and then the lying will stop. A bonus is an author interview or book club questions and other things like that. But a space wasting excerpt is not a bonus at all.

So calling an excerpt a bonus is a lie. There is no two ways about it.

If I am reading a book in a series, I don't need an excerpt from the next book as I'll either buy it or not based on what I've read so far of the series. The excerpt won't change my mind. The book(s) I've read will help me decide to continue the series or not.
You do realize that if calling an excerpt a "bonus" is a lie (because there are people who disagree with that assessment) then calling an excerpt NOT a "bonus" is ALSO a lie... because there are people who disagree with that assessment as well. I guess we can't really say anything without it being a lie...

Now, please stop lying.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #86
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Bonus is not a bonus

I can't believe how pedantic some of you get...

Last edited by thewitt; 01-11-2015 at 12:17 AM.
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #87
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
I can believe how pedantic some of you get...
can or can't?

I guess saying you can believe it is technically correct, I just don't usually see people pointing that out...
Old 01-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #88
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
can or can't?

I guess saying you can believe it is technically correct, I just don't usually see people pointing that out...

Ha ha ha. Autocorrect seemed to think I should have written can....
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:49 AM   #89
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
You just know that salaried people would stop thumping the dictionary when they get boiled confectionary as their annual "bonus" at work. You would see the pedantry wooshing out the window in real time.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #90
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
You just know that salaried people would stop thumping the dictionary when they get boiled confectionary as their annual "bonus" at work. You would see the pedantry wooshing out the window in real time.
I fail to see the comparison.

Assuming it is indeed a "bonus" according to Pedant Law, the employers have the right to call it that... and the employees have the right to consider it as a valueless "bonus", on a personal level.

I think my explanation does a lot to clarify things though. There is an obvious reason why excerpts fit the definition of "bonus", and it also serves to explain why boiled confectionery "bonuses" are not.