Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
The dane
The dane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The dane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The dane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The dane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The dane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The dane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The dane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The dane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The dane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The dane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The dane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Ebook faster to read?

Had my Kobo glo hd for 2 weeks now, and onto my 2nd book! I only read at work (30min- 1hour a day) Do people find it faster to read of an Ereader?
My last 2 novels were 388 pages and 1200 pages, the latter i never finished as it allways felt i was making no progress and the book was so thick!
The dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not "faster to read", but the benefit of a reading device for me is that I always have it with me. Whenever I go out of the house I automatically pick up my Kindle, which means that I can read at any spare moment I may have, which wouldn't be the case with a thick paper book. I don't read faster, but I spend more time reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Maybe a little faster but it also depends on the book.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not "faster to read", but the benefit of a reading device for me is that I always have it with me. Whenever I go out of the house I automatically pick up my Kindle, which means that I can read at any spare moment I may have, which wouldn't be the case with a thick paper book. I don't read faster, but I spend more time reading.

+1
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
It is true that you read faster with ebooks since you can set the type and linespacing just as your eyes demand. Also, margins of 6" ereaders are more suitable to reading than a hardcover, and their type is more readable than a paperback. They are designed as reading environments, this is normal.

But this would only make you read 110 pages when you would have read 100 pages. It wouldn't make that much of a difference.

There is also psychological aspect of a neverending tome. ADE page count goes faster, no idea about Kindle.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm with Harry. I don't think the average person reads faster other than the device is always available. On the other hand, my sister says she reads faster NOW because the device is not as heavy as a paperback (she has arthritis). She had to limit her reading to an hour at a time due to that. Now she can read pretty much endlessly.

As to large books, I always use to read those on commutes when I took the bus. You get in a half hour here, an hour there and pretty soon you are done. Lots of folks in the 80s got through all the Jacqueline Suzanne books that way (I never did read those as I was into fantasy genre at the time). These days, I listen to doorstops on audiobook. For instance, I'm a bit more than halfway done with Outlander and I only listen to it when I'm doing pokey stuff on the computer such as backups.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I agree with the others. Ereaders are easierto carry, lighter weight, and less cumbersome so it seems the reading goes faster. You don't have to worry about the page trying to close like with a thick paper book either. You flip to the next page and it stays flipped.

Last edited by crich70; 09-16-2015 at 12:24 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
I don't know if I read faster on a tablet, but I definitely read more efficiently. I never have to stop reading to fuss with things like changing pages or adjusting my reading light.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Instant dictionary. You can't do that with a paper book.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I see little difference in reading speed. I have noticed that during the period of the day that I do most of my reading—the period between cooking my evening meal and cleaning up after—I find that I am less likely to succumb to drowsiness when I am reading a paper book than when reading with my Kindle so that as a practical matter it takes me longer to finish an ebook even if pages per minute is the same. Yes, the Kindle makes it easier to fit in short stretches of reading earlier in the day, but not enough to make up for what I've just described. I do not really worry about it though as I am seldom in a race to finish a book.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Instant dictionary. You can't do that with a paper book.
Sure you could

'Mom/Dad, what does the word mean'

Typical answers:
"WHAT are you reading?"
"did you try the Dictionary in the bookcase?"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sure you could

'Mom/Dad, what does the word mean'

Typical answers:
"WHAT are you reading?"
"did you try the Dictionary in the bookcase?"
Mom is 500 miles away and usually not on her computer.
Oh wait, I could always text my kid.

As to the dictionary, where did I put that huge thing?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #13
Kennth
Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It depends however reading through any reader is always enjoyable and faster. The other advantage of course is eBook reader is easily portable.
Kennth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

The coolest thing about an ereader is if one needs to find Faust at 1030 on a Sunday night, it is so easy. Though my impatient mother didn't like the one minute wait.
Was helping her with her homework and needed a copy for myself since we are 500 miles apart.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #15
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I do. I find it faster to read because the technology gets out of my way. I find e-ink much easier to read than paper, I don't have to hold it open, I can set it to a font size that's convenient, which, for me, gets rid of things that slow me down.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote