Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
antismap
antismap began at the beginning.

Device: archos 7 ht
polish characters, rtf -> epub conversion

Hello,
I have a RTF file with polish characters in it. It displays correctly on the computer. I want to convert it in EPUB format.

When i do this in calibre, and then view the result with the built in reader in calibre, the characters doesn't show correctly.

How to get that fixed ? I tried around with the settings but i don't know at all how to do and it seems like it's explained nowhere on the internet.

Thank you,
antismap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
antismap

I have the same problem with a .txt file with french characters.
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
This section of the FAQs might help.

When I run into character encoding problems I keep trying various settings until one works for me.

You can try these:

cp1252
cp1251
latin1
utf-8
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
antismap

thanks, I finally managed it by first converting to .txt, opening it with firefox, doing «show character encoding" and using this encoding into calibre. but I guess there's a simpler way..
Old 12-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Piterski
Piterski began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by antismap View Post
Hello,
I have a RTF file with polish characters in it. It displays correctly on the computer. I want to convert it in EPUB format.

When i do this in calibre, and then view the result with the built in reader in calibre, the characters doesn't show correctly.
Way I found around it is to open rtf in Word, save as HTML, add HTML to calibre and convert to EPUB and characters are OK.

Apparently if rtf is encoded with specific charset and calibre is not detecting it properly it is not possible to change it directly
Piterski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piterski View Post
Apparently if rtf is encoded with specific charset and calibre is not detecting it properly it is not possible to change it directly
FYI, the original poster resolved his problem about 5 and a half months ago.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote