Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #16
Khai
Enthusiast
Khai began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hmm.. I'll try Garth Nix's The Old Kingdom Chronicles now then..
Khai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khai View Post
I've been really into fantasy books - especially the ones with sorcery/magic and a whole new other world.
Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon
The Shadow of the Lion by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer
God Stalk by P. C. Hodgell
Oath of Swords by David Weber
Paladins by Joel Rosenberg
Lord of the Isles by David Drake
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
Khai
Enthusiast

Keep the recs coming!! They'll all be in my to-read list.. haha!

Thank you all!

Currently reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Old 05-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Now, for sword and sorcery fantasy, Roger Zelazny wrote the best. His "Amber" series of 10 books has never been matched.
Yes! I'm reading book 7, actually. "Amber" is a great series.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Jockey View Post
Some of Feist's older books don't seem to have been converted to e-books yet. Like the earlier person, I find Feist's world of Midkemia facinating. There are multiple series set in the same world - all related but not necessarily dependant on each other. His whole book list can be found at his 'official' site: http://www.crydee.com

Oh, and the first book isn't just titled "Magician", it is "Magician: Apprentice".
http://www.amazon.com/Magician-Appre...5137739&sr=1-1
Actually the original was supposed to be titled just "Magician". But the publisher felt it was two big so it was split into two books, "Magician-Apprentice" and "Magician-Master". So eventually (10th year anniversary) Feist released the two books as one and called it "Magician" like he originally intended.

So you can either buy it as a single volume or buy them as two volumes. I think the single volume is considered the de facto book now. At least since 2007 or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magician_(novel)
Quote:
Magician is currently published in two volumes in the USA: Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. The book is still published as a single volume Magician in the UK.
I think this is old information now. I think its published as a single volume in both the US and UK now.

http://www.crydee.com/raymond-feist/...e-riftwar-saga
Quote:
Magician
Silverthorn
A Darkness at Sethanon
http://www.amazon.com/Magician-Riftw.../dp/0586217835

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 05-29-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #21
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I remember "Lord of the Isles." It was good, and free for a long time because it was a Nebula nominee. That is a good suggestion. Was it part of a series or stand-alone?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
I also mentioned this in the A list of favorite sci-fi and fantasy that are NOT Twilight or Harry Potter thread:

If you are at all interested in non-sword-and-sorcery fantasy (but fantasy that is heavily fortified with pure magic!), I'd give a hearty recommendation to Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #23
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
I'd give a hearty recommendation to Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.
I read it as a pbook, and wonder if it's awkward to read on an ereader - there are many lengthy footnotes throughout.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #24
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I read it as a pbook, and wonder if it's awkward to read on an ereader - there are many lengthy footnotes throughout.
Yes, I imagine it might be, I remember the footnotes being a bit awkward when I read the p-book. I great book, by the way. The author is currently working on a sequel.

I don't know if George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series is what you are looking for, but it's a great fantasy series that you might be interested in checking out.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #25
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Just a warning on the Sword of Truth books. The first few books are rather good, but then the series starts going on... and on.... and on ..... and on......
As you can see in my reading list below, I'm reading nr 5 at the moment. And I must admit, I sped through the first four but this one....I just don't seem to get into it.......

One of the best new fantasy around...Try Joe Abbercrombie........Ruthless with humor, an intriguing combination :-)
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I remember "Lord of the Isles." It was good, and free for a long time because it was a Nebula nominee. That is a good suggestion. Was it part of a series or stand-alone?
Lord of the Isles is part of a six book series. You can buy all six of the series, and the first of the second series (The Fortress of Glass) for just $15:

http://www.webscription.net/p-257-lo...the-isles.aspx

The second series is planned to be six books, of which only the first three are done and out.

The six volumes of the Lord of the Isles is complete as-is. The next set of six starts a new story arc, as far as I remember.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #27
kyoryu
kyoryu began at the beginning.

I've been enjoying Dave Duncan's stuff. The Great Game was a lot of fun, and the Seventh Sword series (starting with The Reluctant Swordsman) was also good.
kyoryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #28
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
The last pbook I ever read was called "Last Call." I can't remember who wrote it, but I probably got it at Amazon. It is very gritty and scary, not a castle or damsel or anything. It takes place in and around Las Vegas. Lots of wizards trying to kill each other. Lots of tarot and human scheming. It's pretty good, and worth giving a try.
Sounds like the Tim Powers novel. Powers is awesome if you like fantasy with a heavy twist of weird. I prefer his earlier books like the Anubis Gates and On Stranger Tides (a heavy influence on the Pirates of the Caribbean series, in fact Disney bought the film rights so the fourth film can steal more directly ) but Last Call is pretty good too.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 AM   #29
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Jockey View Post
Another author/series to look at is Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" books. But again, like Feist, some of his older books have not been converted to e-books yet. With that series, it is more important to start with book #1.
+1 to this.

Quote:
... especially the ones with sorcery/magic and a whole new other world.
You won't be disappointed, both of these are very strong points in the WoT series.

Be warned however, This is likely the biggest series you'll ever read. 12 massive books long so far, with 2 more coming to finish it off. Of course, if you enjoy the series, which I think you will, this is a selling point

This is definitely one of my top 5 high-fantasy epics, with The Belgariad in that group as well. Maybe we have the same taste? in which case you won't want to pass up WoT

Last edited by Stinger; 05-31-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #30
Khai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
+1 to this.

You won't be disappointed, both of these are very strong points in the WoT series.

Be warned however, This is likely the biggest series you'll ever read. 12 massive books long so far, with 2 more coming to finish it off. Of course, if you enjoy the series, which I think you will, this is a selling point

This is definitely one of my top 5 high-fantasy epics, with The Belgariad in that group as well. Maybe we have the same taste? in which case you won't want to pass up WoT
Really?? I thought Belgariad & Mallorean were pretty long, but I still wanted more!!! xD The larger the series, the better. That's what eBook readers are for

I will definitely take a look at Wheel of Time