Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
jmmiller
jmmiller began at the beginning.

Device: none
LaTeX to e-book in Detroit

Good Morning,

I am setting off on my summer project to learn enough about e-book formats to help a friend publish a memoir. Any suggestions would be welcome!

I'm OK with going from LaTeX to PDF and using Ruby on Rails as the interface to produce Postscript or XML sorts of output.

Regards,

John M. Miller M.D.
jmmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Robin O'Neill
Connoisseur
Robin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PC
Welcome, John.

The best way to get a handle on formatting is to look at books already live on Smashwords or Kindle. Smashwords has a very detailed style guide that's fairly easy to follow. What can I say about Kindle? Indent new paragraphs 5 spaces but not with tab, no space between paragraphs.

It should take you no more than 1/2 hour in Word to make it happen. I have been using Open Office but that's more of a geeky kind of program and not so much geared to manuscripts. Knowing Unix probably helps, I don't but my friend does. I switched to Word and it's more in English but you have tons of hidden coding courtesy of Microscoff.

I will say the more programs you send a file through, the worse off you are. 95% of the time (guessing) I wind up putting the document into notepad to remove all the formatting and then starting over clean.

You can always ask, someone here probably knows the answer. You'll probably get plenty of answers. Most of them conflicting ;-)

Robin
Robin O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi John and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, latex, mobi, pdf, ruby