Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Reference Books... Do you or don't you?

I used to have an extensive reference library in my house, covering all the different subject areas in which I was interested. Over the past few years I've noticed that when I need to look up something, instead of going to the books I just type a search into the Internet. I get far more information than my reference books could ever begin to present. I find that except for a few subject areas such as Oriental philosophy or marine biology, I don't use my reference books very much these days. I even keep my copy of the OED on one of my hard drives so I never go to the paper volumes.

What about you? Still use your paper references or do you do most of your research by computer?

(Fear not... I'll never get rid of my Webster's Unabridged Dictionary. It is too full of memories of boosting my son up to the dinner table! )

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I do both. Sometimes it's just quicker to look something up in a book.

F'r example, I wanted to refresh myself on Chartism and Chartists in Victorian London. I really didn't (and still don't) need that much info, and I know I have what I need in a couple of books. However, I ended up looking it up on the internet, and whilst everything that I've subsequently gone on to read up on has been very interesting (especially in the case of the Lib Dem's Freedom Bill), I still actually haven't got what I was after, nor done anything with what I have got
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i do both but more and more i've noticed that my reflex is to do a quick online search, whatever the subject. it's not really a conscious choice, but it does seem to be becoming my default... however, i will still keep all of my paper dictionaries as well !! i love them.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:32 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You have to be very careful with online searches; there's an awful lot of wrong information out there on the internet, whereas good reference books can be trusted.

If I have a reference book on the subject I'll use it (eg I'll always use my "Oxford Classical Dictionary" to look up things relating to the classical world). If I don't, I'll do an online search, but always check the veracity of the source.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I use the web more these days to look stuff up.
It's easy to cross-reference multiple sources, and the web is more up to date than pbooks.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Like Harry, I always go to my pbook references first -- and I find I am still buying reference pbooks. Only if I can't find the answer in one of my pbooks will I go to the Internet.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I, too, more often use my pbooks for reference if I have them handy. Even when I have the electronic version of a certain reference book I will always reach for the paper version if I am at home. I love thumbing through dictionaries and finding out new things along the way.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Yes, I do it all the time and I've taken some of my reference texts from work and brought them home and put them into storage. But, as Harry says, you need to be careful if the accuracy is important to you.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I love thumbing through dictionaries and finding out new things along the way.
This is what I used to do as a child if I couldn't decide what to read. It's also the main reason I don't want a dictionary for my ebook reader - they're just too distracting (I get far too easily distracted looking things up )
Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
This is what I used to do as a child if I couldn't decide what to read. It's also the main reason I don't want a dictionary for my ebook reader - they're just too distracting (I get far too easily distracted looking things up )
that's one of the (main) reasons i DO want a dictionary for my liseuse. i love discovering new words, and following the treasure hunt from definition to definition looking up related words or similar words or unfamiliar words from the definition of the previous word or some random word in the middle of the page or... one dictionary is good for hours of entertainment.

i used to play a game with my ex-boyfriend, he would take the dictionary and read me the definition of a word and i had to guess the word. then we switched and i chose the definition. excellent game.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i love discovering new words, and following the treasure hunt from definition to definition looking up related words or similar words or unfamiliar words from the definition of the previous word or some random word in the middle of the page or... one dictionary is good for hours of entertainment.
Exactly! And therefore likely to distract from the book I'm trying to read, however good it is.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Exactly! And therefore likely to distract from the book I'm trying to read, however good it is.
it depends on what i'm doing, usually i manage to avoid getting too distracted while reading. i was reading an english book before the one i'm reading now which is in french, and i looked up words almost on every page, but then i went back to my book (at worst i opened the full definition screen, or looked up one additional word). brilliant. now i'm reading a french book, it's a bit old, there are some words i'm not familiar with or i'd just like to make sure, and i keep having the reflex to tap the word to check the dictionary. *sigh* need french dictionary too !
Old 10-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
I like to browse lavishly illustrated coffee table books, and there is no real online equivalent to the best ones. I think that physical books will fight back in much the way as movies fought back against TV. Books will have multimedia in them and become more computer-like in some ways.

I did throw a bunch of telephone books out just a couple of days ago...
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote