Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
eInk: Any Chance of a New Generation?

It's been more than a year since PVI rolled out their last generation of eInk, Vizplex. Is there any chance they are going to announce a new version soon?

Maybe one with:
  • better contrast
  • better resolution
  • Faster page turns

it was about a year after the first generation came out that they announced Vizplex, wasn't it? So why so quiet now?

The way I see it, it's either they have trouble improving the current generation or they are concentrating their whole attention on color eink. In which case I think is a mistake because I'd rather see a higher contrast B&W screen with faster page turns and even lower energy consumption (one may dream...).

So what do you think/know?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Well, The more people that buy e-ink devices, the more companies will invest in future products. If not then the change will be slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
It's been more than a year since PVI rolled out their last generation of eInk, Vizplex. Is there any chance they are going to announce a new version soon?

Maybe one with:
  • better contrast
  • better resolution
  • Faster page turns

it was about a year after the first generation came out that they announced Vizplex, wasn't it? So why so quiet now?

The way I see it, it's either they have trouble improving the current generation or they are concentrating their whole attention on color eink. In which case I think is a mistake because I'd rather see a higher contrast B&W screen with faster page turns and even lower energy consumption (one may dream...).

hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I suspect the next big change will be all the units will have a plastic backing instead of glass. This will ruggedize the unit considerably. The new epson controller will improve the page speed and offer several other nice features. These are the changes I expect to see in 2009. First rolled out on the 9.7" model and then trickled down to the smaller units. I also expect more use of touch screens as needed for searching, notes, etc.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:56 AM   #4
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Well, The more people that buy e-ink devices, the more companies will invest in future products. If not then the change will be slow.
AFAIK eInk can only be developed by one company. Because they have the patent granted monopoly on it.

This will last for 20 years that way.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:45 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
AFAIK eInk can only be developed by one company. Because they have the patent granted monopoly on it.

This will last for 20 years that way.
But there are alternative technologies, such as those from Plastic Logic and Polymer Vision. Those should both enter large-scale production during 2009.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But there are alternative technologies, such as those from Plastic Logic and Polymer Vision. Those should both enter large-scale production during 2009.
According to eInk's own site, Plastic Logic and Polymer Vision are both partnered with them. So it seems to be the same basic technology, just implemented in different ways.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:14 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks - I wasn't aware of that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:19 AM   #8
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
I wonder if my impression is right: Plastic Logic screens are far more white than e-inks.
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post

Maybe one with:
  • better contrast
  • better resolution
  • Faster page turns

To tell the truth a PRS-505 is as good a book reader as it could be. I just wish for battery life of PRS-500.
No ghosting, good contrast, quick page turning.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
According to eInk's own site, Plastic Logic and Polymer Vision are both partnered with them. So it seems to be the same basic technology, just implemented in different ways.
I just read an interesting article about new markets. Often enough when a new market based on a new technology is developing companies often tend to be quite open to each us, sharing new ideas, insights reporting about errors. Since its for the whole market a matter of survival. At least it was often observed an open attitue at the beginnings of markets that survived. Only later when tech gets developed and pretty much an every day thing companies tend to get secretive to hide the latest bit of microscobic invention they still might do, otherwise its pretty the same everybody is still doing. It was so the way in the early home computer market, it was that way in the early LCD tech market.

I don't know how cooperative companies in the eInk market are... would have to be one of them to know.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Plastic Logic screens are far more white than e-inks.
The E-Ink film used by Plastic Logic is presumably Vizplex, like everyone else, but the screen uses their own "plastic electronics display technology" featuring "highresolution transistor arrays on flexible plastic substrates". I don't know how much of the overall effect is from the film (common to all) and how much from the display and the controller.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Here's the conflict: everyone wants more durable screens, e.g. without the glass substrate. But people often want to be able to write on the screens, too, and so far, the only technology that seems to offer fine enough resolution to be able to do more than swipe to change pages or whatever is Wacom, which apparently requires a glass substrate. This conflict doesn't have much to do with the display technology itself, but rather with the input technology. Whoever solves it (at a reasonable price) is going to get a big boost.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Here's the conflict: everyone wants more durable screens, e.g. without the glass substrate. But people often want to be able to write on the screens, too, and so far, the only technology that seems to offer fine enough resolution to be able to do more than swipe to change pages or whatever is Wacom, which apparently requires a glass substrate. This conflict doesn't have much to do with the display technology itself, but rather with the input technology. Whoever solves it (at a reasonable price) is going to get a big boost.
I don't know how WACOM requires a glass substrate. As Wacom is completly remote, and can work through any layer, thats why it was picked, since it doesn't alter the display at all. Other touch technologies made the display a bit less reflective. Either there is some technologic issue that I'm not aware of, or this "glass substrate because of WACOM" was just a very very lame excuse.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't know why Wacom would require a glass substrate, either, but that's what iRex is saying (yes, I know, we do have to consider the source here). It might have something to do with the Wacom manufacturing process. Perhaps their grid of sensors has to be laid down on a glass substrate.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 AM   #15
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
To tell the truth a PRS-505 is as good a book reader as it could be. I just wish for battery life of PRS-500.
No ghosting, good contrast, quick page turning.
Display-wise, I agree.

There are many improvements to be done in both hardware (make it two milimeters smaller in width so that it fits in my pocket!) and software (directory structure displayed, reintroduction of authorSorter, more font sizes, more detailed bookmarks than just "one-per-page"...).
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote