Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Bootloop Fix for C67 series and Firmware 1.8.1

After I tried to upgrade to 1.8.1, my C67ML Carta 2 went into a bootloop after it rebooted. Onyx International told me that they were aware of the problem They have now posted a solution with factory tools to repair the issue. You can find them here.

This solution is for all C67 series devices. Be sure to download the right firmware for your kind of C67!

Update: I downloaded the files and followed the instructions. However, when I open the factory tool, I get two errors: can't open the config file and can't open a certain dat file. Then the factory tool crashes when I try to load the firmware. I've emailed Onyx to ask for help. If anyone has any ideas, please share them! Thanks.

Update #2: A clarification. The RKBatch Tool works fine. But with this issue, once I switch my C67 to download mode, I then need to open the factory tool (which is not the RKBatch Tool), load up the firmware, and then have the factory tool make some changes to the system partition before the firmware can be installed.

Last edited by downeaster59; 02-13-2017 at 09:34 AM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
I had the same problem. I was able to find a version of the rockchip factory tool that actually runs from the Rockchip site:

https://androidmtk.com/download-rockchip-factory-tool

I downloaded version 1.35 since that looked like Onyx was using. I used the OemImage.img file from the Onyx factory tool for the image that went in the demo field.

I still can't get the firmware image to install, I keep getting a Wait for MSC fail, but the factory tool from Rockchip runs otherwise.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
I had the same problem. I was able to find a version of the rockchip factory tool that actually runs from the Rockchip site:

https://androidmtk.com/download-rockchip-factory-tool

I downloaded version 1.35 since that looked like Onyx was using. I used the OemImage.img file from the Onyx factory tool for the image that went in the demo field.

I still can't get the firmware image to install, I keep getting a Wait for MSC fail, but the factory tool from Rockchip runs otherwise.
Thanks. I'll give this version a try.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard

The adventure continues. I used Factory Tool 1.39. That worked for me. However, when my C67ML Carta 2 rebooted, the home page appeared to have shrunken and to have moved to the upper right corner of the display. No touchscreen capability. This leads me to suspect that the firmware in the Onyx link was not for the Carta 2 but the Carta or even the C67ML. I have an idea as to how I could fix it, but I've emailed Onyx International about the firmware link.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard

Okay. Onyx International fixed the firmware link to the correct firmware. Using Factory Tool 1.39, I was able to upgrade my C67ML Carta 2 to 1.81.

One very significant change: the user app partition is now over 700 MB. That's right. More than double what it was. That alone makes the upgrade worthwhile.

Edit: NeoReader seems to be improved as well. One odd thing I've discovered: on some third party apps that used to scroll when I used the left/right buttons, now the volume control pops up when I try the buttons. That's new for me. It's as though the setting toggles back and forth. However, reading apps don't seem to do that. Moon Reader works fine with the left/right buttons.

Last edited by downeaster59; 02-15-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Advert
Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I treat my T68 with kid-gloves. The potential OS problems are outrageous. I hope they fix this stuff because I hope to invest in a newer, big-screen Onyx at some point.

I will add that Booxtor's consistent presence on these forums to help iron out problems is a big help and a plus. I do admire Onyx's innovation and I suppose these problems are part of it. Without them, e-readers would be so much more boring.

Mind you, I have a very stable Boyue and my rooted Nook ST has not crashed in three years...

Last edited by Pajamaman; 02-15-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I treat my T68 with kid-gloves. The potential OS problems are outrageous. I hope they fix this stuff because I hope to invest in a newer, big-screen Onyx at some point.

I will add that Booxtor's consistent presence on these forums to help iron out problems is a big help and a plus. I do admire Onyx's innovation and I suppose these problems are part of it. Without them, e-readers would be so much more boring.

Mind you, I have a very stable Boyue and my rooted Nook ST has not crashed in three years...
That's one of the reasons I have a Boyue and an Onyx device. Though I don't really need both, challenges like this latest one give me a chance to satisfy my tinkering urge for a little while. Then I get back to actually reading books!

My Boyue has been pretty stable as well. But except for that odd little thing with the volume control, this new 1.8.1 firmware looks like a solid improvement for my Onyx thus far (now that I figured out how to actually install the thing).

Yes, I agree that Booxtor has been a big help for Onyx users here. Too bad his store doesn't carry the C67 series or the Kepler Pro. Then he would be an even bigger help!
Old 02-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
The new firmware did the trick. I noticed that they updated the factory tools download as well.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
The new firmware did the trick. I noticed that they updated the factory tools download as well.
Interesting. I had emailed Onyx to tell them that Factory Tools 1.34 didn't work for me, but 1.39 did. Onyx may not tell you when you've given them some helpful info, but they will make changes fairly quickly. Hopefully, the fixed firmware link and the upgraded Factory Tools will work for everyone else who uses them.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #10
Autarc
Autarc began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML Carta2+
Unhappy Files unavailable

Just got my new C67ML Carta 2 and was surprised as the Play Store was missing. So I wanted to load the latest Firmware 1.8.1 hoping it will be available afterwards. Unfortunately the links from the official site seems to be restrained and require a pcloud premium account. Luckily someone was already uploading the files which could be accessed. So I've prepared the tools and managed to flash it but now do I get the bootloop issue mentioned here. Guess the firmware image version hosted there has the same issue as the previous one linked at Onyx. Would be great if someone could assist and provide the necessary files which are working. Thanks in advance - appreciate the help and can't wait to finally start reading

Last edited by Autarc; 05-06-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Autarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Yes, I agree that Booxtor has been a big help for Onyx users here. Too bad his store doesn't carry the C67 series or the Kepler Pro. Then he would be an even bigger help!
Perhaps that's why they aren't getting any 4.4 upgrade love. My T68 is older and is getting more upgrades. I got lucky.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autarc View Post
Just got my new C67ML Carta 2 and was surprised as the Play Store was missing. So I wanted to load the latest Firmware 1.8.1 hoping it will be available afterwards. Unfortunately the links from the official site seems to be restrained and require a pcloud premium account. Luckily someone was already uploading the files which could be accessed. So I've prepared the tools and managed to flash it but now do I get the bootloop issue mentioned here. Guess the firmware image version hosted there has the same issue as the previous one linked at Onyx. Would be great if someone could assist and provide the necessary files which are working. Thanks in advance - appreciate the help and can't wait to finally start reading
Maybe here somewhere?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=877
Old 05-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #13
Autarc

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Checked out both versions (1.8.1 & 1.8.2) for the device but the flickering-boot loop keeps happening. Did it with the factory tool and in recovery mode to ensure its successful
Old 05-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard

You can probably find an apk of googleplay if you need googleplay.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #15
Autarc

Quote:
You can probably find an apk of googleplay if you need googleplay.
Unfortunately at the current state I can't use the reader at all as it starts to flicker/reboot directly. Flashing it with a stable version which allows me to use it regulary is the primary goal now - accessing the Play Store comes next.