Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #91
swifty
Enthusiast
swifty began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Next question Will this work on Serial number B00E 15?
That would be the Kindle 4th gen, so no. I will add to the tutorial that this is meant for KV, KT2, PW2, and PW3
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #92
swifty
Enthusiast

Again, I'm not the developer of this jailbreak. So if there are any questions, I'm going to assume the community developers will help the folks out as they have been in this thread.
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #93
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I thought the title saying this is a jailbreak for 5.8.x would have been enough, what do you think?
In all honesty, your tutorial looks pretty. But you did not put in enough front information.
How is it plagiarism saying make sure you have the correct cord?
Or unplug and replug the cord?
Or don't use the dollar store cheapy.
Now this is just me but if I had asked that computer to device question and just got back links I would wonder if the OP really knew anything about computers or if they just knew how to make a website?
I would go looking elsewhere for the jailbreak information.

Oh and yes, I have pretty much seen all those questions in other jailbreak threads.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #94
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Next question: Will geekmaster's kindle video player work after your jailbreak?
Old 07-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #95
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Again, I'm not the developer of this jailbreak. So if there are any questions, I'm going to assume the community developers will help the folks out as they have been in this thread.
Well now see I would have assumed the way you wrote the tutorial that you were the owner of this particular jailbreak and that you would have all the answers.

PS: you probably assume wrong as the developers are getting older or busier and would figure since you did the tutorial you have the answers.
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 12:20 AM   #96
veereihen6
veereihen6 began at the beginning.

I think you need to update your procedure.
On a PW2 there is no need to upgrade to 5.6.5.
You can JB from 5.4.2 (or 5.4.3.2 following knc1's instructions).
Then just run the hotfix, and after that update up to whatever version you want and JB should persist.

Updating to 5.6.5 is an unnecessary step for PW2.
veereihen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #97
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Please go to the following threads before attempting the jailbreak.
Check your device:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Downgrade
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
Jailbreak
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...05&postcount=1

The downgrade is being updated as more information is coming in.
Thanks knc1, Branch Delay, NiLuJe, geekmaster and Dale (for doing the serial numbers).
Old 07-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #98
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Please go to the following threads before attempting the jailbreak.
Check your device:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Downgrade
Jailbreak
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...05&postcount=1

The downgrade is being updated as more information is coming in.
Thanks knc1, Branch Delay, NiLuJe, geekmaster and Dale (for doing the serial numbers).
Yes, these developer contributions are dynamic and quickly changing (especially early in their development cycle, but also as new kindle firmwares and models are added), which is why we use our "single point of distribution" model, to prevent documentation from going stale much too rapidly (bit-rot).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #99
swifty
Enthusiast

I think these are the safest steps to follow at the moment. The other jb methods are dicey. Some have even bricked their devices!
Old 07-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #100
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Hmmm. Two of the bricked devices said they used this thread. The developers have been working day and night for two days fixing the bricked kindles.
Did you write the downgrade? In your original post
Did you write the jailbreak? In your original
If the answer is no, then you cannot say with any guarantee that YOUR jailbreak works.
It is not your downgrade or your jailbreak.
Knc1 did the downgrade and branch delay did the original jailbreak.
Did you change any code?

You might also like to know all the problem kindles had special offers. Or had originally come with special offers.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 07-08-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #101
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I think these are the safest steps to follow at the moment. The other jb methods are dicey. Some have even bricked their devices!
Apples and Oranges.

The bricked Kindles are PW-3 models, this only applies to PW-2 models.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #102
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@swifty:
The Chinese version of this on kindlefere.com did not copy your graphics.
You might want to provide them with the pictures.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #103
VósMicêSama
VósMicêSama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
A) Downgrade to v5.4.2
[LIST=1][*]Download the factory downgrade update file for your device from here
I just can't find that 5.4.2 version on list.

In case, my PW3 are on v5.7.2.1. This guide works for me? Can i downgrade to 5.4.2 and then update to 5.6.5?
VósMicêSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #104
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by VósMicêSama View Post
I just can't find that 5.4.2 version on list.

In case, my PW3 are on v5.7.2.1. This guide works for me? Can i downgrade to 5.4.2 and then update to 5.6.5?
You have a PW-2?

Use this thread:
There is a shorter sequence for the PW-2.

No pictures, more words, but also more general.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #105
lionus
lionus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
ugh

i'm stuck at step 1.

I've just downloaded, update_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial.bin, chucked it in the root dir, and "update your kindle" was greyed out.

So I reset the thing, thinking it may need some trigger to read / , but it still was greyed out, so I plugged it in to find that the bin wasn't there anymore - did my 5.8.1 just delete it or something?

I'm trying again, I might try downloading another file just in case this one is corrupted, haven't checked the hash yet..

edit: Ok maybe it just didn't copy right the first time(even though the size on the device was 385,752kb.

It's currently updating now. Will update on how this all goes =]

Last edited by lionus; 07-18-2016 at 07:36 AM.
lionus is offline   Reply With Quote