Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
IxiaAurea
Connoisseur
IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Kobo Glo
minutes each session?

What does minutes each session mean in the KT stats? (I'm assuming it's how long you read per time you open the book but I read longer than 4 minutes, I'm sure...)
Hope this isn't a stupid question
IxiaAurea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
There are various actions you can take that make the KT think you are in a new session. I believe looking up a word in the dictionary is one such action.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I always assumed it is an average. So if I open the book briefly to make sure it works, that's one session that will bring the average down. I've never studied it though, I'm just assuming and speculating.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Mine seemed to end up at 15 minutes per session.

Also happens that my sleep timer is set to 15 minutes.

Hmm...
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I always assumed it is an average. So if I open the book briefly to make sure it works, that's one session that will bring the average down. I've never studied it though, I'm just assuming and speculating.
I'm fairly sure this is the case, too. After long public transport trips, the session time goes up by about five minutes. If I'm just flipping through a couple of pages while waiting in a queue or something, it starts dropping.
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
It appears to also mess up your time reading stat if you use the dictionary to look up a word while reading.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Cottser
Enthusiast
Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I just exchanged my Kobo Touch and most of my reading stats came over to the new reader except for minutes per session. After a bit of reading, it now says 155 minutes per session, which is impossible. It was about 7 minutes per session before the exchange. Fun times.
Cottser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Of course! I never thought of that. I was wondering why my average time was so low, but it must be from when I was messing around with it when I pulled it out the box.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I think going to the dictionary definitely "stops" the session. I read for around the same time each session for every book, but for dictionary enabled kepub's the average session was much shorter than sideloaded epubs (before the firmware that enabled dictionary for all epubs)
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

I found this issue right after they enabled dictionary in side loaded epubs. It seems to stop the session and mess up the reading time. I read every day on the bus to work and home and it's the same time period give or take a few minutes and whenever I'm excessively searching or just normal usage in the dictionary the book reading time is way out of whack.

I commented in another thread that when I was reading A Dance with Dragons it said I read in 7min sessions which is completely wrong.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Stupid me

Last edited by The Terminator; 09-13-2011 at 08:53 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
Lunchtray
Connoisseur

That's pretty obvious since the status page shows the current book reading.