Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > ePub Books (offline)

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Win7,Win10,Lubuntu,smartphone
Harrison, Harry: A Harry Harrison Collection. v2. 11 Mar 2011

These are the short stories by Harry Harrison (of The Stainless Steel Rat and West of Eden fame, to mention a couple) available at Project Gutemberg, collected by date:
  • Navy Day, If Worlds of Science Fiction January 1954
  • The Velvet Glove, Fantastic Universe November 1956
  • The Repairman, Galaxy February 1958
  • Arm of the Law, Fantastic Universe August 1958
  • The Misplaced Battleship, Astounding Science Fiction April 1960 (middle third of “The Stainless Steel Rat”)
  • The K-Factor, Analog December 1960
  • Toy Shop, Analog April 1962

All are good, and most are humorous (nothing strange).

Enjoy!

New version: removed 'drop caps', due to Sony Readers trouble.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-12-2011 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Update
carmenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
BruceNapier
Silver Surfer
BruceNapier began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Since Harry Harrison is still alive, I thought these shorts would only be in the PD in the USA?

Cheers

Bruce
BruceNapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry - I know nothing about those matters.
* The PG disclaimers are at the end of each story.
* Some of same stories are already in an anthology in this forum - .lrf format, though.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
triptix
triptix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Many thanks
triptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceNapier View Post
Since Harry Harrison is still alive, I thought these shorts would only be in the PD in the USA?
*Probably* they were all published in SF magazines and the magazines didn't renew copyrights.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
shall1028
Nameless Being

A couple of links that may be of interest re: whether or not these stories excerpted from magazines are or are not in copyright:

http://www.publicdomaintreasurehunte...public-domain/

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/fa....html#duration

Something also to consider is whether or not Harry Harrison signed his copyright on the work over to the magazines.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #7
carmenchu
Groupie

I would also recommend a good look at this page at Baen Free Library about the general morals of the whole thing.
I am the happy possessor of the first six paper books of The Stainless Steel Rat series and, through failing eye-sight, longing for an electronic edition/planning to scan them to make my own.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #8
BruceNapier
Silver Surfer
BruceNapier began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
A couple of links that may be of interest re: whether or not these stories excerpted from magazines are or are not in copyright:

Snip useful stuff..
This confirms my understanding, that this material may well be in the PD in the States, but almost certainly not in the UK or Canada, since the author is still alive, and the publication date was after 1928.

This implies that it shouldn't be hosted on a Canadian server.
BruceNapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to our US server.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
My Sony PRS-650 seems to have a problem displaying the first line of each chapter. I see a big letter on the left and what seems to be the rest of the line pushed to the right edge of the page. Does anyone else have this problem?
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
My Sony PRS-650 seems to have a problem displaying the first line of each chapter. I see a big letter on the left and what seems to be the rest of the line pushed to the right edge of the page. Does anyone else have this problem?
Yes, I do on my Sony PRS-650 - though I didn't realise that stuff on the far right margin was the first line. I have also seen text in a bigger font size for no obvious reason.

It would be important for carmenchu to know whether the same problems occur with other ebook readers.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenchu View Post

New version: removed 'drop caps', due to Sony Readers trouble.
I wonder if I might suggest that this comment is offensive, as well as being inaccurate.

The problems with drop-caps, as well as the other formatting errors, are also present when the book is opened with Adobe Digital Editions on my desktop. I am sure that the 'drop caps ... trouble' will occur with any device which uses ADE - and that's most of them.

The problem is not with any ebook reader, but with the formatting.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:28 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's neither offensive nor inaccurate. The reported problem was indeed on a Sony Reader. Whether or not it also occurs on other reading devices does not change that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote