Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Clock

Is there some way I can put the clock onto the reading page of the 505. I often lose track of time while reading so if it is possible to do this, it would be a great help.

I'm not very technical, so if there is a way to do this, please spell it out in easy steps.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Yup. You need to get PRSCustomizer. Full instructions for installation are in the help file or the file readme.txt that's included in the download.

It has other functionality that you might like as well.

Let us know if you have any problems.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Here, take a look atPRSCustomizer. Among other things, it adds a clock on the bottom status bar that updates when you refresh the page.

This does require you replace the firmware with a customized version however. For a very detailed, step-by-step with pictures guide to actually flashing the firmware, have a look at Valloric's very detailed guide on changing fonts. If you don't want to customise the fonts on your reader, skip to Step Two: PRSCustomizer in the guide and ignore the font stuff.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I've downloaded the customiser and will let you know how I get on with it. I don't really want to change anything other than the clock.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J

I'm totally befuddled! I've read through the help file and read me file, which said the same things, but can't work out how to put the clock on the status bar. I seem to have lots of other options, like changing fonts, or icons, and even putting my name and contact details on the reader; but there's nothing about the clock.

Also, do I need to buy a new SD card in order to effect any changes?

Help would be appreciated please.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
There is no clock option because it is added by default. If you don't make any changes when you run PRSCustomizer, that (the clock) is all that will be added/changed.

So, if you only want the clock, just run PRSCustomizer and immediately click the customize button (although you may need to select the proper firmware version first).

I would highly recommend adding contact information, and checking unified font sizes also.

Any cheap SD or memory stick pro duo card should do the trick. Doesn't have to be brand spanking new.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J

Thanks, that's helped lots. Do I have to delete all the books on the reader? Sorry for being so dumb, but I need things explained before I get the gist.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Thanks, that's helped lots. Do I have to delete all the books on the reader? Sorry for being so dumb, but I need things explained before I get the gist.
They will be deleted during the installation process.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #9
BookCat
C L J

I don't really want the books deleted, so I might not bother with this customiser. From what I've read in the customiser thread, it's just too buggy. I'll buy a watch, or read into the night!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Keeping the books is no more than just copying them over to the PC from the Reader before customising, either via the Sony software or via the PC explorer.

I would have to disagree that the process is "too buggy" though - regarding the issue you posted about in that thread, if you searched for "NilObjectException" in that thread, you should have seen the following post I made some time ago...

"Ah - It's to do with the unzipping - I'm not sure why exactly, but some unzipping apps don't unpack the full set of files/folders in the sdcard folder...

As a quick check, how many folders starting "files" do you have in the sdcard folder? You've probably only got 2, but you should have 5! Try a different unzipper or check for options to ensure that empty folders get created."
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #11
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
I don't really want the books deleted, so I might not bother with this customiser. From what I've read in the customiser thread, it's just too buggy. I'll buy a watch, or read into the night!
Do you not have your books backed up anywhere? Really?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J

I have 5 items in the folder. Yes, I have all my books backed up but, including the ones on the sd card, there are over 600 of them! That's a awful lot of work. At the moment I can't see the point when all I want is the clock. I don't think this extra is worth the work of shifting all the files back and forth, and risking ending up with a brick. I'm sure that it's a great idea if you want fancy icons, fonts, etc, then it's worth doing, but I'm happy with the default ones.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #13
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
I have 5 items in the folder. Yes, I have all my books backed up but, including the ones on the sd card, there are over 600 of them! That's a awful lot of work. At the moment I can't see the point when all I want is the clock. I don't think this extra is worth the work of shifting all the files back and forth, and risking ending up with a brick. I'm sure that it's a great idea if you want fancy icons, fonts, etc, then it's worth doing, but I'm happy with the default ones.
600 books is really not much data considering a typical book is only 1 mb. I don't see where it's much "work" to copy them.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Your talking a couple of minutes. Copy everything off the sd card, format it per the customizer directions and flash the reader. Then copy the info back to the sd card. Quite simple.

To each his own.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
They will be deleted during the installation process.
No they won't. I did the customization a number of times and the only thing that happened was the placeholders for the books I was reading returned to what they were the last time i had the reader hooked to the computer. But the books themselves never vanished.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote