Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
avg_user
avg_user began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
How are you doing, bogomil. Any success with Dropbox?
avg_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I tried cross-compiling curl-7.21.4 using the PocketBook SDK, and it turned out to be pretty easy. The build for the older 3XX models needed SSL disabled, otherwise there were compilation errors. Maybe it would work for an older version of the curl source code. The attached zip file has a copy of curl for both the older 3XX and the newer Pro/360+ models, as well as instructions for configuring the build (in case someone needs to build their own version with different features enabled). Copy the right one to /mnt/ext1/system/bin/curl. Make sure that /mnt/ext1/system/bin is in the path of any script that uses curl afterwards.

Hopefully, you'll be able to use the Dropbox Uploader script that @bogomil linked to above. It looks like that script needs some arguments, so it might be best to run it from inside another shell script that uses my sh_ivtool UI widgets for input/output. I'll leave that for someone who has a dropbox account. Otherwise, it will have to be run from a shell command-line, like poterm.
Attached Files
File Type: zip curl.zip (162.6 KB, 200 views)
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A closer look at that Dropbox Uploader script shows that it requires input while running (at least the first time while configuring the Access Tokens). So, it looks like it can't be run "behind the scenes" directly from the ereader's Applications tab. I would guess that it would work within poterm, or it would have to be severely hacked to replace the input/output code with the sh_ivtool widgets. The latter would be straightforward but tedious, as my instructors used to say.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #19
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thanks Rob. Now one more reason to try and make your sh_ivtool work (think I followed the instructions, but cannot connect)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
thanks Rob. Now one more reason to try and make your sh_ivtool work (think I followed the instructions, but cannot connect)
Are you talking about the Dropbox Uploader script linked to by bogomil? Or perhaps that pbdownload program I wrote? Or something else (sshd)?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Are you talking about the Dropbox Uploader script linked to by bogomil? Or perhaps that pbdownload program I wrote? Or something else (sshd)?
I am talking about making your tools work to e.g. transfer wirelessly files between reader and laptop (for some reason after the latest update connecting via usb is a pain): but I cannot get the two devices to recognise one anotehr. I am sure I must have been doing something wrong, now it's been a while and I forgot what I did exactly, but rest assured that as soon as I go back to it I'll come begging for advice
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
avg_user

How are you doing guys, any success?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg_user View Post
How are you doing guys, any success?
I haven't been doing anything with it. I don't use DropBox, so I couldn't test anything I did. Is it free, or is there some kind of fee?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #24
avg_user

Dropbox is free up to 2GB of storage, you need to pay to get more. I don't count on Dropbox exclusively here, I'm looking for any real-time on-the-fly notes synchronization solution. Let's say I'm taking notes in the meeting, I go back home and I have the same on my PC, that would be fantastic.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #25
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Dropbox is free up to 2GB of storage, you need to pay to get more. I don't count on Dropbox exclusively here, I'm looking for any real-time on-the-fly notes synchronization solution. Let's say I'm taking notes in the meeting, I go back home and I have the same on my PC, that would be fantastic.
The DropBox stuff would just be a way to get data on and off the ereader. Synchronizing data is a higher level problem. Maybe you would be better off installing the sshd server package that I uploaded to this forum a few months ago to your ereader, and then using something like Filezilla on your desktop to copy data back and forth. I just tried the Linux version of Filezilla, and it works for accessing my ereader. You just have to specify the protocol to be SFTP and the port to be 1124, and give Filezilla a copy of the private RSA key (id_rsa) generated on the ereader. It looks pretty easy to keep directories synchronized after that.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
avg_user

One-way synchronization of scribble notes from Pocketbook to the server would be enough. I'd like it to be automatic. I want to make sure I won't lose my notes and I'll have a quick access to them from everywhere.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #27
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
One-way synchronization of scribble notes from Pocketbook to the server would be enough. I'd like it to be automatic. I want to make sure I won't lose my notes and I'll have a quick access to them from everywhere.
This is all very sensible, but I don't personally know how to do it easily. You'd probably want something running in the background that monitored the folder where notes go, started up WiFi and uploaded changes when they occurred, and turned off WiFi if it was off before. It's the "upload" part that's tricky. It would depend on what kind of outside storage you have access to. FTP, SFTP, DropBox, HTTP,...

Another problem is that there is no way to have a program start up automatically when the PocketBook device boots up. You'd have to remember to go into the Applications tab and start the program yourself every time. You need root privileges to add a task to the start-up list, and that isn't available in recent firmware versions.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #28
avg_user

Quote:
You need root privileges to add a task to the start-up list, and that isn't available in recent firmware versions.
I didn't know that, but I really don't like it. I thought that Pocketbook wants to create an open source community around its products and it won't follow Apple and other manufacturers that know better what's good for me. Here's what I read at slashdot today: hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/03/20/0115228/ifixits-kyle-wiens-on-the-war-on-diy-electronics

After a year and 3 months of using Pocketbook, I'm not sure that it got to the point where its quality is adequate to the price
Old 05-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #29
avg_user

I see that this topic did not pick too much interest, has anyone made a step in enabling on-the-fly notes synchronization?