Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Single Shakespeare Play Modern Library Classics ebook

Has anyone read one of these ebooks? I saw in a review that they have real annotations and are quite cheap (less than $3). Of course the stupid Look Inside show a bunch of the initial commentaries but none of the actual play.

I was wondering how it looked in the ereader and how well the annotations worked.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Modern Library has (at least) a couple different series under their name. I think the ones you're referring to are the RSC (Royal Shakespeare Company) versions.

The RSC versions are annotated with links in the text to the notes in back.
E.g. https://www.amazon.com/Henry-V-Moder.../dp/B0036S4ATU

Non-RSC versions have notes but no links to them.
E.g. https://www.amazon.com/Tragedies-Sha.../dp/B000FC1KP2

A while back I read the RSC version of Coriolanus, using both a Fire and an old E Ink Kindle (non-touch screen). The profusion of links made reading on a Fire easier. A touch screen E Ink device should work as well. Hitting the links may be a problem if you use a small text size. I recall that I edited these to increase the line spacing.

FYI, there's also an RSC Complete Works available.
https://www.amazon.com/William-Shake...dp/B00BO4GSA2/
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yo Jeff -- yes it was definitely the RSC version that I was referring to. Thanks for the info on the complete works version. At $26 it is definitely cheaper than all of the $3 single versions.

I did break down and bought the Hamlet version on Kobo. After an initial quick look I would say it is just what I was looking for.

The annotations work great on my Kobo Glo HD reader. Not only do you get a clickable footnote number but the whole word or phrase in question is a clickable link and displays in italics; so it is very easy to touch. Plus, as a kepub ebook, the footnote is displayed as a pop-up window and very easy to dismiss.

A couple of concerns about the complete works version:

1) With such a large book, there may be performance issues while using the ereader
2) The single play books have a lot of specific articles and commentary about the play before getting to the play itself. Hopefully, the complete works would include all of that extra material for each play.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There shouldn't be performance issues with the complete works as I expect the acts are in separate files. I don't have any kepubs so I can't be sure but that's how plays are usually done.

You're right to be concerned about the availability of the introductions and the commentaries. I don't think the complete works have the individual articles. I'll have to check on that. (May not get to it until this evening.) I should have remembered that as I have multiple versions of some plays in order to read different commentary.

The other reason is that the way they edit/redact the plays can vary. For a long time, the versions of some of the plays that most people saw were the result of editors conflating different quarto and/or folio editions. They would create a mixture of their own that didn't actually exist in any editions. I read somewhere that the trend now was to be truer to a particular edition. I believe the RSC versions focus on the folio editions.

BTW, you can try downloading samples of the individual plays and see if you get all the pertinent parts of the frontmatter.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Larla
Addict

That's good to know about not having to worry about potential performance issues.

The large cost of the complete works would be perfect for one of those Kobo 90% discount codes. Hopefully they will show up again sometime.
Advert
Old 08-25-2016, 12:04 AM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Here's the TOC for The Modern Library's Complete Works. Each of the individual plays have their own essay and Key Facts section. I don't know if the essays are the same but generally there's only one per play.

Spoiler:
Cover
Title Page
Copyright
Preface

General Introduction by Jonathan Bate
Shakespeare Our Perennial Contemporary
Shakespeare’s Debut: The “Upstart Crow”
The Back Story: Shakespeare of Stratford
The Playhouses
Plague and Poetry
The Lord Chamberlain’s Man
The Ensemble at Work
“Dangerous Matter”: Politics and Religion
The King’s Man
The Great Feast of Languages
Cult and Heresy
The First Folio Restored
User’s Guide
Preliminary Pages of the First Folio
Foreword by Michael Boyd, Artistic Director, Royal Shakespeare Company

Comedies
The Tempest
The Two Gentlemen of Verona
The Merry Wives of Windsor
Measure for Measure
The Comedy of Errors
Much Ado About Nothing
Love’s Labour’s Lost
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
The Merchant of Venice
As You Like It
The Taming of the Shrew
All’s Well That Ends Well
Twelfth Night, or What You Will
The Winter’s Tale

Histories
The Life and Death of King John
The Life and Death of King Richard the Second
The First Part of Henry the Fourth, with the Life and Death of Henry surnamed Hotspur
The Second Part of Henry the Fourth, Containing His Death and the Coronation of King Henry the Fifth
The Life of Henry the Fifth
The First Part of Henry the Sixth
The Second Part of Henry the Sixth, with the Death of the Good Duke Humphrey
The Third Part of Henry the Sixth, with the Death of the Duke of York
The Tragedy of Richard the Third, with the Landing of Earl Richmond and the Battle at Bosworth Field
The Famous History of the Life of King Henry the Eighth

Tragedies
The Tragedy of Troilus and Cressida
The Tragedy of Coriolanus
The Lamentable Tragedy of Titus Andronicus
The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet
The Life of Timon of Athens
The Tragedy of Julius Caesar
The Tragedy of Macbeth
The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark
The Tragedy of King Lear
The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice
The Tragedy of Antony and Cleopatra
The Tragedy of Cymbeline

Plays Not in the First Folio
Pericles, Prince of Tyre, by William Shakespeare and George Wilkins
The Two Noble Kinsmen, by William Shakespeare and John Fletcher

Poems and Sonnets
Venus and Adonis
The Rape of Lucrece
To the Queen
“Let the Bird of Loudest Lay” (also known as “The Phoenix and Turtle”)
Shakespeare’s Sonnets

A Scene for Sir Thomas More

Charts
Shakespeare’s Works: A Conjectural Chronology
The Houses of York and Lancaster: A Genealogy
Kings and Queens of England: From the History Plays to Shakespeare’s Lifetime
The History Behind the Histories: A Chronology
The History Behind the Tragedies: A Chronology

Acknowledgments and Picture Credits
Alphabetical Index of Plays and Poems
Other Books by This Author

Last edited by BenG; 08-25-2016 at 12:11 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:35 AM   #7
Jeff L
Zealot

There are edited (abbreviated, somewhat reworded) versions of the individual introductions in the Complete Works. What's missing is the backmatter which includes a history of the productions that show how the plays have been regarded over the years.

Within the epub version, each play is in its own file.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I have the RSC Complete Works as a hardback. The main negative about this is the modernisation of the spellings, which slightly changes the meanings of the words. They don't point these out in the notes, but I found them by comparision with a 19th century edition. One benefit of getting the ebook is that the physical book is HUGE, bigger than any of my other Complete Shakespeare's.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote