Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Note 2 and Note 3 sold out at Boox shop

https://shop.boox.com/products/note2...31739215839332

And they are also unavailable at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/BOOX-ePaper-A.../dp/B08L12FZSK

As that song said "Isn't life strange?"

But... Note Air is available at both webs. Are they deliberately doing it?

Last edited by viceant; 11-20-2020 at 02:06 PM.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Well, if it was up to them, Note Air would be sold out too
It's probably due to the fact that note air has worse parameters compared to the similar devices in the price range, although it has better design I think.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galunid View Post
Well, if it was up to them, Note Air would be sold out too
It's probably due to the fact that note air has worse parameters compared to the similar devices in the price range, although it has better design I think.
Worse parameters? I thought only its pen is awful, but processor and RAM pair with the other ones.

Enviado desde mi Mi Max mediante Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
The Note Air is heavier thanks to that glass screen and ally back.. more likely to crack and self destruct if you drop it. But what's really bad is the tiny battery. In normal usage you'll have to charge it more often, so that means it will wear out and lose capacity much sooner than a normal Note. Shame as the design is quite pretty, but I don't think that the type of people that spend $500 on eInk want something that looks nice but is functionally flawed and designed to be landfill in a year.

No wonder I've spotted a seller on FleaBay UK selling his Note Air as a Note 3... expect the Note Air to drop in price a bit, then people to start selling battery replacement packs for it.
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:56 AM   #5
viceant
Addict

I hope they'll offer a discount by Black Friday or Christmas, but with such big sales I guess they're not going to do it
Advert
Old 11-21-2020, 01:38 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
The Note Air is heavier thanks to that glass screen and ally back.. more likely to crack and self destruct if you drop it. But what's really bad is the tiny battery. In normal usage you'll have to charge it more often, so that means it will wear out and lose capacity much sooner than a normal Note. Shame as the design is quite pretty, but I don't think that the type of people that spend $500 on eInk want something that looks nice but is functionally flawed and designed to be landfill in a year.
You probably don't know what you're writing about!.
You will have to charge around 30% more often than with the Note 3.
But you get the best 10.3 EInk screen there is - far superior to a Mobius device.
And such a good screen has to be well protected, hence H7 Asahi glas.
But since the weight must not be too big, you save the hardest part - with the battery, the capacity of which is weight-dependent.
It's that simple.
And in my opinion, Boox has made the optimal compromise here.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 11-21-2020 at 02:22 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:10 AM   #7
viceant
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post

But you get the best 10.3 EInk screen there is - far superior to a Mobius device.

But since the weight must not be too big, you save the hardest part - with the battery, the capacity of which is weight-dependent.

It's that simple.

So, why its stock is optimal if you compare to Note 2, 3? It seems they've detected it's a failure and want to clear their stock. This guess match with the discount offered upon Note Air at their shop for Christmas campaign.

Old 11-21-2020, 03:57 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
So, why its stock is optimal if you compare to Note 2, 3? It seems they've detected it's a failure and want to clear their stock. This guess match with the discount offered upon Note Air at their shop for Christmas campaign.
There are all 3 devices available.
And before I buy a 10.3 inch Boox Mobius device, I prefer to use the Likebook Alita - it is far superior to Boox tablets in terms of device/storage handling.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #9
viceant
Addict

Quote:
There are all 3 devices available.

And before I buy a 10.3 inch Boox Mobius device, I prefer to use the Likebook Alita - it is far superior to Boox tablets in terms of device/storage handling.
Yes, that store you mention has stock, but possibly Onyx isn't sending any more.

I haven't either Alita, nor Boox, but everybody say Boox UI is more polished and if you don't mind storage, it's preferable. Of course more expensive.

I maybe wait Supernote A5X or a new RLCD from Hisense like Q5. If there are more competitors in the market, possibly prices go down.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I haven't either Alita, nor Boox, but everybody say Boox UI is more polished and if you don't mind storage, it's preferable. Of course more expensive.
It depends on what you want - the Likebook 3 interface also has its advantages - the ability to go directly to the Android 8.1 settings is not to be despised, which is only possible with Boox with the help of additional apps.
I use both worlds - Likebook Alita and Boox Note Air.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
viceant
Addict

Quote:
It depends on what you want - the Likebook 3 interface also has its advantages - the ability to go directly to the Android 8.1 settings is not to be despised, which is only possible with Boox with the help of additional apps.

I use both worlds - Likebook Alita and Boox Note Air.
And Android 9 isn't an advantage?

Old 11-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
And Android 9 isn't an advantage?
Why should it be?
Any software I need will also work on Android 6.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #13
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Quote:
It's that simple.
The problem I have is that Onyx are knowingly relying on the fact that people think batteries are massively heavy to improve their profits. If you get your Note Air and clip a couple of cheap pens to it (that's about 27g), does it feel too heavy to you? I'll bet it doesn't. If the device itself weighs close to half a kilo, why compromise the battery capacity? The reason I say 27g is that is the weight of a 1500mA battery for the Amazon paperwhite 10th gen, and that would give the Note Air more capacity than the Note3, Lumi etc. If it was just fitted with the same battery as a Note3 then you're probably looking at less of a weight increase. In any event, it is a trivial weight difference for a great improvement in device longevity.

The real point of this then, is that Onyx are looking to cut battery costs and improve their profits while short changing the consumer. A 3200ma replacement battery for the Kindle is $22 and a 6000mA battery is $35. It makes a lot of sense for device manufacturers to scrimp on batteries, the device wears out sooner and they make more money selling it... a win/win for them.

From what I'm reading I can't figure out whether the display on the Note Air is somehow better - it has a glass substrate to help with the appearance and front light, but all the Onyx devices seem to have a Carta display??? I haven't seen anyone saything this is particulaly special compared with other Onyx eInk screens, but if you have some pictures to illustrate that, I'd love to see them. Don't Likebook use the exact same displays?
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard

In the test, 50 hours of reading time were determined per battery charge. A medium quality battery should hold up to 500 charges.
That's 25,000 hours of reading time! ~ 7 years with 10 hours per day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
From what I'm reading I can't figure out whether the display on the Note Air is somehow better - it has a glass substrate to help with the appearance and front light, but all the Onyx devices seem to have a Carta display???
No, all other 10.3 devices have Mobius modules - based on plastic.
However, these do not fit into the Note Air housing because they have the controller connection on the narrow side.
Quote:
I haven't seen anyone saything this is particulaly special compared with other Onyx eInk screens, but if you have some pictures to illustrate that, I'd love to see them. Don't Likebook use the exact same displays?
It's not just a weight problem, it's also a volume problem.
And with this consumption, the battery difference does not matter.
Regarding the screen: the Note Air is the only 10.3 with a non-Mobius substrate - it has a glass substrate and the difference in quality to other 10.3 inch devices can be seen from here.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 11-21-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:02 AM   #15
viceant
Addict

Boox shop has confirmed the Note 2 is no longer available.