Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
gilali
Connoisseur
gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOBO Libra + H2Ov2 + Aura2
Thumbs up Koreader works on H2O Edition 2 (H2O2) [SOLVED]

Hello,

Is there a thread to follow Koreader developpement for this specific device ?
I can not open a bugtracking because it's not really a bug. It's only a device NOT supported yet...

My way is to install the latest nightly update, every 2-3 days, and try to run the app since are working KSM08 and pbchess. But after few iterations it's boring...

I am OK to test new updates on my device if someone need, as a beta tester.

Thank you all

EDIT :
KOREADER IS NOW SUPPORTED ON H2O2
You need to apply this
And for Natural Light, apply this

Last edited by gilali; 03-06-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: thread solved (koreader is now supported on h2o2)
gilali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Other than https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/3372 which I added just so it would hopefully display something, there isn't any development without people like you who have the device.

A big one to try might be this one.

Code:
touch_alyssum_protocol = true,
That's in frontend/device/kobo/device.lua as part of the KoboSnow (H2O2) definition.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
gilali
Connoisseur
gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Thank you

Here my test on v2015.11-1401-g5faddfd/ 07-Nov-2017 06:40

added "touch_alyssum_protocol = true," like this :

Code:
-- Kobo Aura H2O2:
local KoboSnow = Kobo:new{
    model = "Kobo_snow",
    hasFrontlight = yes,
    touch_phoenix_protocol = true,
    display_dpi = 265,
    -- the bezel covers the top 11 pixels:
    viewport = Geom:new{x=0, y=11, w=1080, h=1429},
}
RESULT :
  • Displaying the KOREADER File Browser /mnt/onboard
  • No touch response
  • Frontlight is on
  • I had to reboot

Same results either on KSM or Nickel but on KSM :
  • Frontlight setting looks different
  • Screen upside down

Next ?
Old 11-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ideally you should check if the program outputs any useful debugging info. The easiest but more labor-intensive way would be to add -d to the KSM KOReader command. Either in the KSM script or here:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...reader.sh#L124

Code:
./reader.lua -d "${args}" >>crash.log 2>&1
Then the crash.log will contain the full debugging output. (You could rename it debug.log if you prefer. :P)

The ultimately easier way is to use something like USBNet or SSH so you can easily change configurations and tail the debug output in your console, and of course kill KOReader so you don't have to reboot.

Regarding the screen orientation, I should've mentioned that it's very important not to assume that the touch orientation and display orientation are the same. It could even be mirrored. So basically just try some taps all around the screen, probably starting with top center and bottom center.

As far as what next, I can't really help you there. From what I've seen I don't think it should be necessary to write any new implementation, but some combination of already existing stuff should do: https://github.com/Frenzie/koreader/...e.lua#L20-L134

We know the DPI, we know it has a frontlight and the viewport is probably the same as on the H2O (not terribly important just for getting it to work) but other than that all bets are off. :P

Note that on most Kobos you can play around with the visual rotation like this (in koreader.sh prior to ./reader.lua):

Code:
CUR_ROTATE="$(cat "/sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate")"
# this suffices on normal devices, but H2O is stupid and sets the opposite
echo "${CUR_ROTATE}" >"/sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate"
# this therefore turns it around on H2O (and other potential idiots) and merely
# innocently repeats on sane devices
# shellcheck disable=SC2094
cat "/sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate" >"/sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate"
You can also reset it (and/or mess it up) using
Code:
/usr/sbin/fbset -depth 32
In principle I don't think the display should turn around compared to KSM unless KSM still does /usr/sbin/fbset -depth 16 somewhere (a workaround for older versions of KOReader since Kobo used to be 16 bit).
Old 11-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Jipyan
Jipyan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
I've been trying to get Koreader on my H2O2 too.
I'll briefly explain what I've done so far.

- Installed KSM08
- KSM was upside down and touch did not work
- a patch fixed the problems with KSM (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=805)

- Installed most recent Koreader (nightly 20171023) using the recommended method
- Loaded Koreader using KSM, but Koreader was upside down and no touch response.
- Koreader versions before nightly 20171023 do not work (no response/reboots)

- Uninstalled everything from 1 and 2
- Installed Koreader using the alternative method (through Kobo File Manager)
- Koreader starts in the correct orientation, but no touch.

- I found the current thread and added the code to the KoboSnow definition.
- Koreader loads but still no touch.
- After removing the other touch_(...)_protocol, Koreader does not start (device reboots).

- Removed Kobo FileManager
- Installed KSM08 with H2O2 patch and Koreader again.
- Added the code to the KoboSnow definition, but still no touch.

Orientation notes:
Koreader orientation is fine when starting through FileManager.
KSM08 is upside down at first. After the H2O2 patch KSM08 is OK, but then Koreader is upside down.
I did not test Koreader's orientation without the H2O2 patch. (I could not start it without touch)

Touch notes:
The H2O2 patch fixed touch in KSM08, maybe that's something to check out for Koreader coders?

If there is anything else I could check, please let me know
Jipyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
Jipyan
Jipyan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
I made a debug log.

-Started Koreader.
-Touched the screen a lot.
- Put it to sleep
- Woke it up
- Touched the screen
- Switched it off

Upon first inspection it seems the touches are registered.
Attached Files
File Type: txt crash.txt (626.6 KB, 408 views)
Jipyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipyan View Post
Orientation notes:
Koreader orientation is fine when starting through FileManager.
KSM08 is upside down at first. After the H2O2 patch KSM08 is OK, but then Koreader is upside down.
I did not test Koreader's orientation without the H2O2 patch. (I could not start it without touch)
You could try inserting into koreader.sh

Code:
# somewhere at the beginning, does not matter where exactly
echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate
cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate
and
Code:
#before "exit $RETURN_VALUE"
echo 2 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate
If this code works it should go into the KSM script that calls koreader.sh, but for testing purposes it is easier to insert the script directly into the koreader code.

Last edited by tshering; 11-07-2017 at 05:39 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipyan View Post
I made a debug log.

-Started Koreader.
-Touched the screen a lot.
- Put it to sleep
- Woke it up
- Touched the screen
- Switched it off

Upon first inspection it seems the touches are registered.
What are the precise conditions of those logs? I imagine you didn't tap quite that quickly? Normally a tap would look something like this:

Code:
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG input event => type: 3, code: 57(nil), value: 0, time: 1510141063.446016
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG input event => type: 3, code: 53(nil), value: 202, time: 1510141063.446022
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG input event => type: 3, code: 54(nil), value: 403, time: 1510141063.446024
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG input event => type: 0, code: 0(nil), value: 0, time: 1510141063.446025
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG in tap state...
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG set up hold timer
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG AutoSuspend: onInputEvent
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG input event => type: 3, code: 57(nil), value: -1, time: 1510141063.539426
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG input event => type: 0, code: 0(nil), value: 0, time: 1510141063.539428
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG in tap state...
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG set up tap timer
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG in tap timer true
11/08/17-12:37:43 DEBUG single tap detected in slot 0 {
    ["y"] = 403,
    ["x"] = 202,
    ["h"] = 0,
    ["w"] = 0
}

There are three primary things I'd try first if I had the device myself (besides evtest).

Nothing:
Code:
    model = "Kobo_snow",
    hasFrontlight = yes,
    display_dpi = 265,
}
touch_phoenix_protocol = true (like my own H2O from 2014)
Code:
    model = "Kobo_snow",
    hasFrontlight = yes,
    touch_phoenix_protocol = true,
    display_dpi = 265,
}
touch_alyssum_protocol = true (it has been featured on at least one 2016 model)
Code:
    model = "Kobo_snow",
    hasFrontlight = yes,
    display_dpi = 265,
}
Old 11-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
gilali
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Context:
Koreader from KSM

Result:
alyssum selected : KO
phoenix selected : KO
nothing selected: OK, i can put only a single touch with a response. And after, no any response.

little good news

My 3 logs in attach.

Quote:
The ultimately easier way is to use something like USBNet or SSH so you can easily change configurations and tail the debug output in your console, and of course kill KOReader so you don't have to reboot.
On KSM, I've activated WIFI, an I was able to ping the device. But NO SSH access. Either by USBNet or by adding this code in [general] section :
Code:
useDropbear=true
So, I had to use the classic method to obtain logs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip crash_logs.zip (268.9 KB, 257 views)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:00 AM   #10
gilali
Connoisseur

Pbchess that works perfectly displays 305 dpi on the same device, as the screenshot :

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171109_082813-2.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	159913

Is there a way to make a mistake on the screen resolution, as big as the official Kobo website that displays 265 dpi ???
Old 11-09-2017, 03:16 AM   #11
gilali
Connoisseur

https://www.sven.de/dpi/ count 265 dpi too.
It seems to be the right value

Last edited by gilali; 11-09-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:45 AM   #12
gilali
Connoisseur

Starting through KSM, KOReader screen stays upside down despite the patch

Code:

Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #13
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilali View Post
Context:
Koreader from KSM

Result:
alyssum selected : KO
phoenix selected : KO
nothing selected: OK, i can put only a single touch with a response. And after, no any response.

little good news

My 3 logs in attach.
Did you also try both at once? The behavior I see with none (mistaken hold gesture) is typically fixed by the Phoenix protocol. It's a reverse-engineered custom multitouch protocol used by multiple Kobo devices: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...input.lua#L427

(I have no idea why they don't just use the standard. Hopefully they didn't update it in some way.)
Old 11-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #14
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilali View Post
Starting through KSM, KOReader screen stays upside down despite the patch

Code:

You might also want to try the reverse.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #15
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
You might also want to try the reverse.
You are right. I got confused. It is the exactly the other way round.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote