Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #31
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I enjoy the reviews and find them helpful. It's pretty obvious when they are either too praising or too punishing, but between the blurbs, samples and 'averaging' the reviews I can generally tell if a book fits my needs or not. Not always of course -- even with all of that duds still slip through.
+1
A little bit of common sense to average them out, some additional reviews from somewhere like goodreads, and I find the reviews quite helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
For instance, I saw these incredible reviews for The Sea of Tranquility at goodreads the other day and before I knew it, I owned it!!
Nice, that looks a cracking read..... not normally my type of book, but I've added it to my wish list and might just buy it
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #32
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

It isn't just books. It happens with music too.
It happens with everything. Have a look at one of my new favorite time wasting websites:

http://leasthelpful.com/
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #33
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"When others try to influence what we can and cannot read, that is censorship. Period. If it affects Amazon's ability to sell its product, that is also a form of censorship, too. Amazon should stand up to this kind of thing; as an author, it sends chills down my spine."
Only the Government ,with its prevailing Authority, and ability to take punitive action under color of law can actually commit "censorship"
Every other effort by private citizens and other interest groups is just "free speech"

By your argument people in this site/forum were guilty of "censorship" when they (deservedly IMHO), trashed that AWFULL "50 Shades of grey" sex novel as they defacto sought to prevent others from reading the book/s.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #34
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereadingdotcom View Post
When others try to influence what we can and cannot read, that is censorship.
If that were true, every book review, good or bad, would be censorship.

I don't agree that censorship can only be done by governments, but I do believe it requires the power to remove something from sale. Unless bad reviews cause Amazon to unlist the book, it's not censorship. It's one corner of the market yelling "We think you shouldn't buy this because it sucks!"

In the US, at least, they have the right to do that for any reason they like.

Quote:
As a consumer, I find it depressing. A free and open market is where you decide not to buy if you don't like a product, not force it out of the marketplace because you and a group of your friends don't like it.
In a free and open market, I am quite comfortable encouraging my friends to boycott some products, and hoping that the boycott will drive them out of existence. You seem to be saying that trying to convince other people to avoid what you dislike is censorship.

Part of the glory of the internet age is crowdsourced activism. That works both ways... Homestuck gets its 2-million-dollar kickstarter, and the Michael Jackson book gets panned by people who haven't read it but object to it existing. Shrug.

(I think what they're doing is vile. I don't think we have, nor should have, laws against vile behavior. That kind of thing should be managed by community ethics, not legalities.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #35
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
By your argument people in this site/forum were guilty of "censorship" when they (deservedly IMHO), trashed that AWFULL "50 Shades of grey" sex novel as they defacto sought to prevent others from reading the book/s.
It's perfectly legitimate to have a negative opinion of a work. It is a quite a different thing to pretend that you read it in order to give it a fraudulent review. Saying "50 Shades of Gray sucks" is fine. Pretending you read it and giving it a review would just be dishonest.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #36
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"It's perfectly legitimate to have a negative opinion of a work. It is a quite a different thing to pretend that you read it in order to give it a fraudulent review. Saying "50 Shades of Gray sucks" is fine. Pretending you read it and giving it a review would just be dishonest."
Dishonest?? yes
Censorship??
(restricting another's free speech) -no

One could embark upon a vindictive, mean spirited campaign against anyone with ZERO knowledge of the person, Author, Director etc works.
with the sole purpose of Discouraging others from reading/ viewing the subjects works

And one might be guilty of Dishonesty or even Slander or libel

but censorship -nope.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #37
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT

..And I would add PRIVATE PROPERTY RIGHTS supercede "free speech" rights.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #38
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Dishonest?? yes
Censorship??
(restricting another's free speech) -no

One could embark upon a vindictive, mean spirited campaign against anyone with ZERO knowledge of the person, Author, Director etc works.
with the sole purpose of Discouraging others from reading/ viewing the subjects works

And one might be guilty of Dishonesty or even Slander or libel

but censorship -nope.
I didn't say a word about censorship. You said:

Quote:
I pointed out that they weren't the same things, that there is a difference between the two scenarios. If people were giving dishonest reviews of 50 Shades it would be as objectionable.

I object to fraudulent reviews, but I wouldn't call it censorship. In any case, it is not the case that only government can censor, it is just that it is only illegal for the government to censor.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #39
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT

Quote:
"I object to fraudulent reviews, but I wouldn't call it censorship. In any case, it is not the case that only government can censor, it is just that it is only illegal for the government to censor."
We are in Agreement.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #40
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
pidgeon92
Quote:
Have a look at one of my new favorite time wasting websites:

http://leasthelpful.com/
Great. Now I'll get in trouble for missing a deadline at work because this site is TOO addictive, I keep hitting the "next" button. Clueless reviews are almost as funny as intentional snark.

karma for you, because I needed a laugh today.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 AM   #41
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I have already told some friends about my passion for aluminium foil. I think this might be the place to share my passion with the world.

For Aluminium Foil (Industrial Size!) and Free Customer Review Speech!!
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #42
sky_kama
sky_kama doesn't littersky_kama doesn't litter

Device: Sony-Prs T2
I always like to read reviews of books, dvd's on amazon. But this is crazy what happened with the MJ book.

What always annoyed me is that people gave 1 star reviews if they did not receive the article of when it was damaged or if the DVD could not be played on their DVD player. I would say.. go to costumer service in stead of giving it a bad review.

But well, where people come and people have been things will get messed up.
sky_kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #43
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
They could easily solve the problem about fake reviews if they only let people who have purchased the book from Amazon leave a review about it or a comment from the account that purchased it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #44
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Truth!
You forgot: "justice, and the American way!"

rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #45
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
God, that is a depressing thought.
No, what is a really depressing thought is thinking I might have to live in the Kansas of today, the bastion of what you think is depressing thought. I bet Sam Brownback, the Kansas governor, thinks Harry Potter is demonic and has not read any of the books.

rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote