Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 09-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #16
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I use mp3wrap on Linux though there is a windows version. Both are command line but relatively simple. It creates one mp3 file which can esaily be split back into the original files. For instance, if I have a directory with Chapter1.mp3 up to chapter100.mp3, I can create a single NameOfBook_mp3wrap.mp3. If I again want individual chapter files mp3split can extract them using the original information from mp3wrap. The only minor complication was with chapter names, which invariably do not use trailing zeros. For the combined file to be in the proper order these are essential. I use a small script using the linux "rename" command to accomplish this. So, for instance, Chapter1.mp3 must become Chapter001.mp3 if there are over 99 chapters.

http://mp3wrap.sourceforge.net/
What advantage is there in merging all the files into one file?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:44 AM   #17
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What advantage is there in merging all the files into one file?
It can be imported to Calibre as one single mp3 file. I usually keep my Audiobooks in Calbire just like any other format of book.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2017, 06:31 AM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I searched through Calibre and the help docs and did not discover how one might add mp3 to Calibre. Can you point to the instructions? Thanks.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I searched through Calibre and the help docs and did not discover how one might add mp3 to Calibre. Can you point to the instructions? Thanks.
The same as you add any other file - just drag and drop it onto the Calibre window. Calibre will store any type of file at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:08 AM   #20
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You can also highlight the book record you want to add the mp3 to, then click on the arrow to the right of Add Books and use the add file to book record option.
Advert
Old 09-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
I deal with spreadsheets all day at work. Looking for something different. But if I can't find anything I guess I will have to go this route.
Using a spreadsheet is sub-optimal, but has the advantage of being transportable between my mac and my ipad/iphone.

Audiobooks is one area where Apple really has dropped the ball, IMPO. I guess no one at Apple listens to audiobooks. iTunes wouldn't be so bad if they included series information and narrator, but IMPO having different models of operation on the Mac verses mobile devices (mac uses iTunes, moble devices uses iBook) is quite unforgivable. Audible's app is just as bad, though they at least list the narrator.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The same as you add any other file - just drag and drop it onto the Calibre window. Calibre will store any type of file at all.
I keep all my audio books on a server in my house. I don't want to move them. Is this possible using Calibre? All my ebooks are stored locally on my laptop.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #23
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It can be imported to Calibre as one single mp3 file. I usually keep my Audiobooks in Calbire just like any other format of book.
Thanks. I never thought of adding mp3 files to Calibre.

I just tried playing around a little bit; I added a chapter mp3 file and I added a zipped folder of a book split into chapter files. In both cases, though, Calibre didn't retain the metadata, and the idea of reentering all that info is pretty daunting.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #24
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks. I never thought of adding mp3 files to Calibre.

I just tried playing around a little bit; I added a chapter mp3 file and I added a zipped folder of a book split into chapter files. In both cases, though, Calibre didn't retain the metadata, and the idea of reentering all that info is pretty daunting.
I usually just add it to an existing book record. I haven't added an audiobook alone as yet, though I would imagine Calibre would be able to search for and download the metadata for any corresponding ebook.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #25
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I keep all my audio books on a server in my house. I don't want to move them. Is this possible using Calibre? All my ebooks are stored locally on my laptop.
S
Calibre creates a copy which it stores in its own directory structure.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #26
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I usually just add it to an existing book record. I haven't added an audiobook alone as yet, though I would imagine Calibre would be able to search for and download the metadata for any corresponding ebook.
Thanks. I think I'm going to create a separate audiobook Calibre library and play around with it. What would be great is if Calibre could download metadata and covers from Audible.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:07 PM   #27
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks. I think I'm going to create a separate audiobook Calibre library and play around with it. What would be great is if Calibre could download metadata and covers from Audible.
That's a great idea. Because my Audiobooks are mainly those where I also have the ebook, I have been happy to add them as one more format to an existing book record. I checked and I have added an Audiobook alone only once and used the ebook metadata. But the addition of Audible as a source for metadata would I think make Calibre a great option for keeping an Audiobook library.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #28
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's a great idea. Because my Audiobooks are mainly those where I also have the ebook, I have been happy to add them as one more format to an existing book record. I checked and I have added an Audiobook alone only once and used the ebook metadata. But the addition of Audible as a source for metadata would I think make Calibre a great option for keeping an Audiobook library.
I created a thread asking about this in the Library Management section of the Calibre forum.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:31 PM   #29
darryl
Wizard

@Catlady. Looks like Uli's link on the thread you started to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=143629 is the answer. Since it reads metadata from various formats including the audible formats and mp3 it should work very well with single file audiobooks, including Audible files (with drm intact) and mp3's, including those created with mp3wrap or similar as per my earlier post. I will give it a try. I am starting to think it may be worthwhile for me to create a separate calibre library for audiobooks so I can have the proper metadata for this format.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #30
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@Catlady. Looks like Uli's link on the thread you started to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=143629 is the answer. Since it reads metadata from various formats including the audible formats and mp3 it should work very well with single file audiobooks, including Audible files (with drm intact) and mp3's, including those created with mp3wrap or similar as per my earlier post. I will give it a try. I am starting to think it may be worthwhile for me to create a separate calibre library for audiobooks so I can have the proper metadata for this format.
Please report back on how it works--I read through the thread and felt overwhelmed by confusion.