Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your choices for the September Book Club book?
She by H. Rider Haggard 3 15.79%
The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold 4 21.05%
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. 11 57.89%
Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey Series Book 1) by Dorothy L. Sayers 7 36.84%
Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley 4 21.05%
A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes 2 10.53%
The Toll-Gate by Georgette Heyer 4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 AM   #31
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Off hand, I can think of three books narrated by famous actors that I've listened to and they were all quite good: Thérèse Raquin by Kate Winslet, Heart of Darkness by Kenneth Branagh and Our Man in Havana by Jeremy Northam. The last two were book club selections, now that I think of it.
Thanks, good to know! In fact, I think I even listened to the Northam too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Other examples -- the Robert B. Parker "Spenser" books, narrated by Joe Montegna, and the last few Harry Bosch books from Michael Connelly, narrated by Titus Welliver. Interestingly, in both cases, the narrators were also the actors who played the roles in the dramatizations of the series.
I would think actors who've already made a character theirs onscreen would do well, and neutrally, with a story. I think, with Thompson anyway, the feeling I got was that she wanted to 'do something different' than other narrators had with the story and 'make it her own'. This resulted in a histrionic mess. Narrators have to put some of themselves in a reading as they're forced to interpret character's voices and such, but still the best ones let the story speak for itself rather than purposely trying to 'put a new spin' on things. I think famous actors narrating would be in more danger of doing this, but to be fair I disliked Thompson's reading so much that that may just be confirmation bias!

ETA- I just realised another caveat is needed- it's famous actors narrating classic (probably public domain) books that already have many audiobook versions that I think may be most at risk of this.

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-30-2017 at 04:34 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #32
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
The Man Who Folded Himself looks interesting, but I didn't vote for it because my library doesn't carry it, and I didn't want to spend the $10. I recommended that my library purchase it.

I began Jane Eyre last night and am enjoying it.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
September 2014 MobileRead Book Club Vote
2014???
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:00 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are all 11 of you who voted for Jane Eyre going to read and/or listen to it and participate in the discussion thread?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are all 11 of you who voted for Jane Eyre going to read and/or listen to it and participate in the discussion thread?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:41 AM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Are all you people who didn't vote for it and whose user name begins with J and ends with f, are you going to hold your breath, stamp your feet, and whinge.

Last edited by John F; 09-02-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added a comma for the comma police, and added "are you"
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Are all you people who didn't vote for it and whose user name begins with J and ends with f, going to hold your breath, stamp your feet, and whinge.

The thing is, we've had too many months where a winning book was voted for but a good number and not that many participated. It's time we try to deal with this.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-02-2017 at 09:41 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #39
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
No. I just like voting for things.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The discussion thread is here for Jane Eyre.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote