Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #46
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@bookman156

handy tip 1 : Insert->Special characters, or 'Ω' button in toolbar

handy tip 2 : Tools->Saved searches (Ctrl+Alt+F), see Saved Searches.
Use a Group search to deal with variants like 2BC-AD5, 2BC-5BCE etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #47
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A useful search to run after using this plugin is:

Find: </span>‘
Replace: </span>’

I discovered that the closing quote mark following a span will be the wrong way round.

Edit: here's another example where the plugin won't work:

‘circa 1050<small>BC</small>‘

Last edited by bookman156; 03-30-2016 at 05:56 PM.
bookman156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There must be something else in play. I'm not experiencing the same problem.

Whether using single or double quotes, this:
Code:
<p>A quote where the closing mark is immediately "preceded by a <span>span tag.</span>"</p>
doesn't result in a backward closing quote for me.

No problem with this:
Code:
'circa 1050<small>BC</small>'
on my end either.

There must be something preceding all of that that's causing confusion.

Don't get me wrong; the smartypants algorithm will occasionally result in some backward quotes for me too, but they're fairly rare. And I can't get them to happen with your examples.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-30-2016 at 06:02 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #49
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the difference is that for me it's in sentences where the full point or comma is not inside the span and follows the end quote.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #50
bookman156
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No problem with this:
Code:
on my end either.
Ah, well I'm not sure then.
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What follows the closing quotes in either of those examples?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #52
bookman156
Addict

In 'circa 1050<small>BC</small>' it is just a space and then more words.

In another similar example it is like this (now corrected):

ninth century <small>BC</small>’.<sup><a href= etc

A example of a span end quote that was wrong (corrected now):

Gu Jiegang, ‘Historical events in the judgment and line texts of the <span class="italic">Book of Changes</span>’ (Chinese).

Here's another span that was wrong with the punctuation inside the span:

were in <span class="italic">Ursa Major.</span>’

But at least it was consistently wrong! Meaning I knew what to look for. So I think it would do no harm for anyone to check for this anyway.

Last edited by bookman156; 03-30-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Ah ... I may be on to something. I can get just:
Code:
to make the final quote backwards, but that code by itself isn't valid xhtml. It has to exist as part of another block element (the beginning and and end of which I'm not seeing).

Would it be possible to see the entire <p>, <div>, or <blockquote> that that passage is a part of?

For instance:
<p>'circa 1050<small>BC</small>'</p>
Works just fine.

But SmartyPants does seem to be more prone to errors with the British style of quotation (single) VS the American style. Which would explain why I rarely run into the error.

I'll take a look and see if anything can be done about it, but my plugin truly is just a wrapper around someone else's smartening algorithm. I've made a few tweaks to it (such as the apostrophe exception file) ... perhaps those tweaks have broken something in the single-quote logic.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #54
bookman156
Addict

I've posted a scrambled copy of the EPUB in relation to another issue here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...83&postcount=7

To find the circa 1050BC bit, search for: ikqob 0077JQ

This was before I corrected it so it has all the wrong end quotes still intact.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #55
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks. That's perfect.

This same phrase from your epub works fine when using double quotes, but fails (backward closing quote) when using single quotes:
Code:
snpljp eg 'ikqob 0077<small>JQ</small>' fmm qatyq fnkhfsktzq vy vde qtxzqapncmk.
Hopefully that can be remedied.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #56
bookman156
Addict

Interesting. Good luck!

Incidentally, does the plugin handle quotes within quotes okay? I generally prefer British single quotes but I must admit they do start to look odd with quotes within quotes as that means you have to use double inside single. Thankfully, the situation doesn't occur too often.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

It typically handles the quotes within quotes that I encounter really well. Granted ... I rarely try to stress it out too much.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #58
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Errors highlighted in red:
<p>"<i>That</i>'s my secret power."</p>
yields
<p>“<i>That</i>s my secret power.”</p>

<p>"'<i>Angel</i>,'" read Gaius.</p>
yields
<p>”’<i>Angel</i>,’” read Gaius.</p>

John Jr.'s ball
yields
John Jr.s ball
(But these may all be a SmartyPants issue.)
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #59
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
I'm having trouble getting the plugin to run on my Mac. It brings up the dialog box and says Status running... but then nothing happens (I have waited for an hour.) If I cancel I get the message "Launcher process crashed" and a pop-up dialog which says "Reached unexpected end of XML." I ran the epubcheck plugin and flightcrew and found no problems with the epub.
--MH

Last edited by dynabook; 01-28-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added text.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #60
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Please look at the Finders panel bar immediately after launching the plugin and if you see a Rocket blasting off icon, click on it. My guess is the plugin has a Window that opened under Sigil itself or is hidden in some way by Sigil. Clicking on the plugins app icon in the panel bar should bring the window to the front and give it focus.

This is a tk bug with some versions of Tk and MacOSX.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote