Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Any downside to ordering one in U.S.?

Is there any serious problem with me here in the U.S. ordering a T3 from, say, a Canadian vendor?

I don't mind having to load books using the USB cable.

And the possible lack of a warranty doesn't worry me too much.

So, should I upgrade from my 950 (which seems to have a weakening battery) and order a T3 for use here in the U.S.? Or not?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
The only disadvantage I see is having to spend $50 more (plus shipping!)to order it than anyone else in the world.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I see, the T3 is overpriced. Kobo & Amazon both have better hardware at lower prices. Plus with the T3, you have to buy a $60 cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the good info!

I thought the T3 came with a cover.

I have a sleeve that I use for 950 so I was just going to keep using that.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
The T3 does come with a cover. You would only have to buy a cover if you wanted the light.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
The T3 does come with a cover. You would only have to buy a cover if you wanted the light.
--MH
The T3 really gives one a hole in the wallet for what you get. $180 plus whatever it costs to ship to the US. Then if you want a light, that's another $60 right there. The T3 doesn't bring anything really new to the table. What it does bring is a very overpriced Reader with expensive accessories. I'm a long time Sony Reader user and even I cannot recommend a T3. In fact, I am going to be looking at Kobo if I decide to get a new Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am going to be looking at Kobo if I decide to get a new Reader.
J, I hate to ask and risk hijacking my own thread, but which Kobo would you get?

Everyone else...any more comments on the T3 for me here in the U.S.?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
It'll work perfectly fine in the US. Warranty is only 90 days. You can still buy from the Reader store on the device. When starting up the device it asks if you're in the US or Canada. If you're near a border and a Sony store, go for a drive! Oh and the Sony T3 comes with a $10 coupon too. It has to be used by Feb 2014 and it says Canada only but I have a US account and bought a book in US funds with the coupon. It worked just fine.

Stay away from Kobo. They're horrible little things! Buggy galore and not worth the headache. You shouldn't have to factory reset everytime something goes wonky. Which, with a Kobo, is far too often.

I think $180 would make me change my mind though. That's pretty steep.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I know it did for me. It's actually $195.36 for me when I use the cheapest shipping option at Shop eReaders. Hopefully a retailer will pop up that's selling it for the list price $129.99 and ships outside of Canada.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I hope that for you too AnemicOak but if it's a reseller, eBay or even this Shop eReaders & the like, it's not going to be. That's why they're so high. They have to make a profit too.

I was going to wait for the price drop like they usually do a few months after release but I'm changing locations at my job and they gave me a Visa Gift card so I went shopping!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hope that for you too AnemicOak but if it's a reseller, eBay or even this Shop eReaders & the like, it's not going to be. That's why they're so high. They have to make a profit too.
Oh, I know. I'm hoping a Best Buy type store (that's what I mean by retailer, as opposed to re-seller) that ships outside the US might come along. I do think $110-$110 is a better price for the device give it's features and the version I'd really be interested in is the T3S which doesn't have the 'built in' cover, but AFAIK that's a German only product at this time.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
petercreasey
Wizard

What is a T3S?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
What is a T3S?
A T3 that doesn't have the integrated cover...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223774
Old 10-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The T3 really gives one a hole in the wallet for what you get. $180 plus whatever it costs to ship to the US. Then if you want a light, that's another $60 right there. The T3 doesn't bring anything really new to the table. What it does bring is a very overpriced Reader with expensive accessories. I'm a long time Sony Reader user and even I cannot recommend a T3. In fact, I am going to be looking at Kobo if I decide to get a new Reader.
I know! It's very depressing. Sony has always been my favorite of all of my ereaders since I like the firmware best, and it has a special place in my heart since it was the first one I bought almost 7 years ago! I decided to get the newest Kindle Paperwhite as my primary reader for this coming year. I just love the convenience of the built-in lights on my older KPW & Nook Glow. I am still waiting to see what B&N will offer for a new Nook Glow model for EPUBs. I just don't know if I have the patience for the Kobo bugs. I also still have my T2, T1 & 350 that should last awhile. I guess I will just keep using those for now.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #15
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Welcome to the rest of the world
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote