Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Black Rain is what got me thinking of letting people know (if possible) ahead of time if the book is or is not available in other countries. It seems we have a winner where some of the readers turned out to be losers due to not being able to get it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #92
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Suggestion: Start Discussion Thread Sooner

I'd like to suggest that we start the discussion threads a few days (3 or 4) after the vote is settled, instead of specifically waiting until the 20th.

Reasons:

1. Those who finish earlier can get their thoughts out before they forget the details.
2. Those who may have questions about the text or story have a place to ask.
3. Those who like to share their thoughts while reading can do so.

As to spoilers: Maybe we can request that all posts before the 20th of the month have spoilers, and those posted on the 20th or later do not have to have spoilers.

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-28-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typos
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #93
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'd like to suggest that we start the discussion threads a few days (3 or 4) after the vote is settled instead of specifically waiting until the 20th.

Reasons:

1. Those who finish earlier can get their thoughts out before they forget the details.
2. Those who may have questions about the text, have a place to ask.

As to spoilers: Maybe we can request that all post before the 20th of the month have spoilers, and those posted on the 20th or later do not have to have spoilers.
Sounds good to me. I know in a couple of cases I have been ready to comment after finishing early, and by the time it has come to join the discussion all my pearls of wisdom () have gone...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #94
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I don't like that idea. Some people read slower or have other obligations that would make it difficult to finish the book on time. Far better, in my opinion, for those who are faster readers and want the material to remain fresh in their minds for discussion if they simply wait until a few days before the 20th to read the selection.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #95
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't like that idea. Some people read slower or have other obligations that would make it difficult to finish the book on time. Far better, in my opinion, for those who are faster readers and want the material to remain fresh in their minds for discussion if they simply wait until a few days before the 20th to read the selection.
The problem there is that even people who read quickly can still run into the same time constraining issues as those who do not read as quickly. They may have more "free time" at the beginning of the month than they do in the middle or the end. Opening the discussion thread early gives everyone a chance to participate at their own speed. Also, there are still the other two points: Asking questions about the story (I had one or two as far as phrasing with A Christmas Carol - but I ended up just glossing over them since I had no proper place to ask at the time.), and discussing the story while reading it.

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-28-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: phrasing
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'd like to suggest that we start the discussion threads a few days (3 or 4) after the vote is settled, instead of specifically waiting until the 20th.

Reasons:

2. Those who may have questions about the text or story have a place to ask.

As to spoilers: Maybe we can request that all posts before the 20th of the month have spoilers, and those posted on the 20th or later do not have to have spoilers.
I like your idea of the discussion thread being started right after the vote.

As for spoilers, I think we can just say that spoilers are allowed in the discussion thread and if anyone wants a discussion thread spoiler free, start a new thread.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #97
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yeah, I try and wait, depending on book length, until three to six days before the discussion start. It does not hurt to finish a little after discussion start, it remains open. Though in general it does seem true that almost all of the discussion takes place within the first few days.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #98
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I believe we've already stated that there will be no more changes until 2013. Why not wait until then to discuss it, as we waited until near the end of 2011 to discuss the 2012 changes?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #99
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I believe we've already stated that there will be no more changes until 2013. Why not wait until then to discuss it, as we waited until near the end of 2011 to discuss the 2012 changes?
That's fine. I only mentioned it now because I've been thinking about it for the last couple of weeks, and we were discussing a million and one other things. I was not expecting an instant change in procedure.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #100
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I propose we have a proposal for the proposal methods proposed. Once the proposal is proposed we should have a hidden vote that is not hidden yet openly visible in which you can vote for 1 or more than 1 but 1 only of course... and then have a run off proposal vote vote which will determine if the proposal was proposed in the first place.

Once that is done we should stick the proposal refusal non-vote and gather comments for exactly 42 minutes and 42 seconds... all comments will then be ignored forthwith.

All in favor say nay!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #101
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I second and third that proposed proposal.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #102
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I propose we have a proposal for the proposal methods proposed. Once the proposal is proposed we should have a hidden vote that is not hidden yet openly visible in which you can vote for 1 or more than 1 but 1 only of course... and then have a run off proposal vote vote which will determine if the proposal was proposed in the first place.

Once that is done we should stick the proposal refusal non-vote and gather comments for exactly 42 minutes and 42 seconds... all comments will then be ignored forthwith.

All in favor say nay!

BOb
But you haven't addressed corporate contributions to advertising and slush funds.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #103
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But you haven't addressed corporate contributions to advertising and slush funds.
That will be phase 3 of my proposal. Of course, phase 2 is confidential, and the closed open vote on that will begin as soon as we get this debt ceiling thig figured out... the stupidcommittee is working on it now.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #104
Nyssa
Series Addict

Silly people - wanting to actually discuss things in a suggestion/discussion thread. Imagine that!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #105
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That will be phase 3 of my proposal. Of course, phase 2 is confidential, and the closed open vote on that will begin as soon as we get this debt ceiling thig figured out... the stupidcommittee is working on it now.

BOb

Ha! I intend to filibuster any proposal that emerges from committee.