Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #31
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
100% agree - i got my Kindle DX today and its not perfect at all but EVERYTHING which was advertised is possible to do (ok battery life i haven't checked yet but from what i have read its like advertised).

With my iLead i had to loose myself again this week as i (stupid and naiv like i am) tried to connect him to my new WLAN router.

That is such a ridicolous joke. I was NEVER able to connect my iLead to WLAN in 3,5 years. They told me more then 1,5 years that it will "soon" be fixed with the next release then they stop development for their next unfinished product line. I should try this and that, most ideas came out of the forum here or at irex but no solution that works out. I have given up now and just try it in the case like this week when i get a new router.

Last edited by Sischa; 01-21-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #32
solariun
solariun began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / prs-700
Sischa,

I own a Iliad as well, and I had sort of problem as well, what I did, I re-set up my wifi router to no KTIP encryption and it worked really fine, the thing is that either the embedded wifi card and the linux version does not support some security protocol, thus try to change your security method and let's see.... I have been able to even "penuriously" surf the internet using some third-part application I found over here in the mobilereader, if in any case you get confused, just call some "nerd" friend to come over your place, they will alswer you plenty.
solariun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #33
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
With my iLead i had to loose myself again this week as i (stupid and naiv like i am) tried to connect him to my new WLAN router.
My iLiad works fine on the WLAN at home. Is your new router using "N" mode? The iLiad only works with "G" or "B" modes. Usually you can tell an N router that you want it to run in G mode, and it should work.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:41 AM   #34
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Based on the PDF support in the DR800S, it is unlikely that anyone using the DR1000S for PDFs will want the ADE version. The only PDF display capabilities the DR800S has are full screen view (with the original margins) and reflow. There are no zoom capabilities. Note that this isn't a lack of capability in the Adobe SDK, since the Onyx Boox 60, the PocketBooks, the Sony touchscreen Readers, and the Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 all have some form of arbitrary PDF zoom.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-24-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: DR800S has no PDF zoom at all.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #35
solariun

Adobe SDK for Irex equipment

I definitely agree with your point of view, although I would like to add some few information, based on my own experience with Irex devices:

1. They are masters on creating unfinished devices, and they always move along their newest devices, letting all the old costumers behind and orphans .
2. They always lie about their equipments, I bought a DR1000S based on things I read on their site, and guess what almost everything was a lie, why only said it wasn't there after it.
3. I have my doubts about how this new firmware will work for us, that own a DR1000S, because I do not give a f**k if I am using the Adobe or not, the actual PDF rendering has gotten a quite mature stage at this time, but I was concerned about the "sleep mode" and it seams to show off on DR800, or at least they pretend of. I just want to use mine on the way and put it into sleep mode as advertised once.
4. Irex now is well known for almost 100% of people that actually own one that their devices, that they don't care about previous costumers only for new ones, so, I have fears about buy this one and just have my actual nightmares just extended, for me it is like spamming my struggle with Irex peace of nothing.
5. After the upcoming DR1000S firmware update, I have fear if it will start another chapter of my problems of waiting new functions to be implemented in order to fulfill own the "promises" they unveil and move me into it. even more, if I will lose some actual ones.
6. Be aware about the battery and sleep mode, it might be an other lie from the Irex, once again.

So, I guess we all, that own a DR1000S, would call to their phone support and ask to open a ticket about our DR1000S is not getting asleep, as once showed in the site, if everybody start complain, they will have no other alternative than implement it, or say it is impossible for our peace on nothing called DR1000S. And believe me, I am talking with my lawyers about sending them a letter asking for the information, based on our law about information, and even to move a public litigation to not allow them to sell the DR800 in US once it is not finished and based in the fact Irex has bee just lying to ours costumers.

Last edited by solariun; 01-24-2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: DR800 will be a deception as DR1000 was
Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #36
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Based on the PDF support in the DR800S, it is unlikely that anyone using the DR1000S for PDFs will want the ADE version. The only PDF display capabilities the DR800S has are auto-trimming margins (a global margin none option, which is probably a bad idea for ePubs) and reflow. There are no zoom capabilities. Note that this isn't a lack of capability in the Adobe SDK, since the Onyx Boox 60, the PocketBooks, the Sony touchscreen Readers, and the Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 all support PDF zoom better than the DR800S.
Users have reported that the margin option does not apply to PDFs.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #37
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Users have reported that the margin option does not apply to PDFs.
I was going on early posts in Unboxing iRex 800 and first impressions, but post #42 confirms that there is no PDF zoom at all. This is even worse than I thought.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #38
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Based on the PDF support in the DR800S, it is unlikely that anyone using the DR1000S for PDFs will want the ADE version. The only PDF display capabilities the DR800S has are full screen view (with the original margins) and reflow. There are no zoom capabilities. Note that this isn't a lack of capability in the Adobe SDK, since the Onyx Boox 60, the PocketBooks, the Sony touchscreen Readers, and the Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 all have some form of arbitrary PDF zoom.
You seem to be assuming that the lack of zoom in the DR800 is due to the ADE based viewer. It could also be due to a differentiation in feature set between their "consumer" level product and their "professional" level product.

As you said, it does not appear that the lack of zoom is due to the different SDK, but a conscious choice. We'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised if the DR1000 has features enabled in it that the DR800 lacks.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #39
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
You seem to be assuming that the lack of zoom in the DR800 is due to the ADE based viewer. It could also be due to a differentiation in feature set between their "consumer" level product and their "professional" level product.

As you said, it does not appear that the lack of zoom is due to the different SDK, but a conscious choice. We'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised if the DR1000 has features enabled in it that the DR800 lacks.
Exactly.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 AM   #40
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
What is meaning that DR800 and DR1000 will not have the same code-base or will this be something which could be enabled via "registry-tweaks"?
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #41
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
What is meaning that DR800 and DR1000 will not have the same code-base or will this be something which could be enabled via "registry-tweaks"?
Folder support is enabled in the DR800 via a "registry-tweak". It's possible that zoom is the same, but we'll have to give the community time to look through the code that was just released to find out.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #42
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Folder support is enabled in the DR800 via a "registry-tweak". It's possible that zoom is the same, but we'll have to give the community time to look through the code that was just released to find out.
Nevermind, looks like that's already been answered in another thread.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
There's certainly no inherent reason why you can't have zoom with ADE. The Sony PRS-600 (using ADE) has a very capable PDF zoom facility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #44
solariun

Quote:
Nevermind, looks like that's already been answered in another thread.
Shaggy, can you address that thread for us? And do you know if we will find the so waited "Standby mode" in the new DR1000S Firmware ?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #45
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's certainly no inherent reason why you can't have zoom with ADE. The Sony PRS-600 (using ADE) has a very capable PDF zoom facility.
It's not a technical reason, it's a business decision. Some features are only being supported on the higher end product.