Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Doomorama
Doomorama began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
How purchase Kindle books w/o Kindle or Ipod?

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is now available for the Kindle, but not yet on Mobipocket, where I usually get books for my BeBook.

I know the book will end up on the torrents in probably just a few hours, but I want to support the author, so want to actually pay for it (before I break the DRM to be able to read it on my device.)

I don't have a Kindle, an Ipod or an Ipod Touch. Is it possible to purchase a Kindle book and just download the file?

Thanks
Doomorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Sorry, you need a Kindle or iPhone or iPod Touch to purchase it unless it's available elsewhere (like Fictionwise or BooksonBoard).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hook up with a library that offers ebooks for check out, read them on your pc
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
The issue is that the book is only available on the Kindle at the moment, so the library won't have it. I think the Doomorama is just going to have to wait until it becomes available at other retailers.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Best bet at this point is to get a hold of Quirk Books and ask them for other formats.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The issue is that the book is only available on the Kindle at the moment, so the library won't have it. I think the Doomorama is just going to have to wait until it becomes available at other retailers.
Yes, and most libraries do not have nearly the selection that the retail stores have. New titles are particularly slow to get to mine. It only has about 3K total titles anyway, most of which is non-fiction. The library is a nice supplement but most ebook collections can't compete with their library's print collection or a book store for either non-fiction or fiction. NYPL is probably the best out there but you pay $100/year for it.

Edit:

So just for fun, I went and did a quick survey of NYPL's ebook collection. I just counted English language books because it's the largest collection and it's the one most people draw from. For the sake of time, I also just counted PDF because most books are either PDF only or PDF and Mobi. Very few are mobi only. I figure this gets a best case scenario for most patrons. They had about 12K total books. 7601 non-fiction and 4320 fiction. That includes all the PD stuff. That's pretty sparse.

Last edited by Alisa; 04-13-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
So just for fun, I went and did a quick survey of NYPL's ebook collection. I just counted English language books because it's the largest collection and it's the one most people draw from. For the sake of time, I also just counted PDF because most books are either PDF only or PDF and Mobi. Very few are mobi only. I figure this gets a best case scenario for most patrons. They had about 12K total books. 7601 non-fiction and 4320 fiction. That includes all the PD stuff. That's pretty sparse.
Oh, wow, that looks positively plentiful. Checked my local library and it only had 558 fiction and 583 non-fiction. Hmm, I wonder if it's worth it to subscribe to NYPL or if I should just set aside the money for purchasing ebooks?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Oh, wow, that looks positively plentiful. Checked my local library and it only had 558 fiction and 583 non-fiction. Hmm, I wonder if it's worth it to subscribe to NYPL or if I should just set aside the money for purchasing ebooks?
It's certainly the largest collection I've seen. You can browse the collection without being a member. You may be able to get an idea if there enough books there that you want to read. For example, when I was browsing I saw that about 1200 of the titles were romance. I don't read romance. If I did, that would be a big draw. I've gotten a fair number of mysteries through my local library. DH mostly reads sci-fi and fantasy and the selection is tiny.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote