Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think it was antedated by the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, which was excellent for its time.
Yes, that was released 15 months before the PW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #107
littlefoot59
littlefoot59 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite2
HarryT, thanks, didn't know that Sony produced the first front-lit e-reader. My very first reader was the non-lit Sony PRS 505. I got it as a birthday present from my husband in 2009 and it was as expensive as the Voyage is today. Of course it was already hopelessly out of date at that time. But it was the first e-reader which was sold in Germany, where the general atmosphere was quite anti e-reading at the time. I thought the Sony was wonderful because I loved the concept of e-books. My enthusiasm was dampened, though, when I tried to purchase and load books onto the reader. The German e-book store which we had available back then had a deplorable lack of choice, especially in the English literature section. And the US Sony store was region restricted. The whole process was so complicated that I used the Sony reader only for free e-books from gutenberg org. But still, it was a start. There was lots of classic literature I always wanted to read. Some scam artists sold e-book collections at the time (1000 books of world literature on a cd-rom for 30 Euro) which was advertized around Chrismas by reputable German news outlets as a great cultural bargain. I got one as a present so that I could feed my Sony - and it turned out that every single book of this collection was available for free anyway. Someone had a really creative idea for making money with people who didn't know the first thing about the world of e-books
As soon as the Kindle Keyboard was available in Germany and e-books could be bought with a German Amazon account, I retired the Sony - although it hurt somewhat because it had been so expensive and my husband had meant well. But the Kindle Keyboard was so much better in every aspect, and purchasing books and loading them onto the device was so much easier. But the Sony had introduced me to the world of e-books and how to manage them. Since then a lot has changed over here. Other e-book stores have also a wide range of of books - although Amazon has still the most extensive English section when I last checked. The prices are identical in Germany - no matter from which e-book store you buy the e-books. Of course I don't like that a Kindle can only read Amazon exclusive formats. But other devices can't read Amazon format. I will deal with that problem adequately and with the help of Calibre if I should ever decide to switch to a non-Kindle e-reader. Right now, I'm very happy with the Voyage.
littlefoot59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #108
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
And KOReader reads everything else (nearly).

If you act before your device updates to firmware 5.8.8, the dev forum can fix you up with a copy.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #109
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And KOReader reads everything else (nearly).

If you act before your device updates to firmware 5.8.8, the dev forum can fix you up with a copy.

[ He means Jailbreak the device. ] Interesting thought, tho .....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #110
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Although it was somewhat delicate - the light diffuser scratched VERY easily. The PW may have been blotchy, but it was tough.
Are you thinking of one of the Nooks? I don't recall reports of scratching problms with the Kobo Glo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #111
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Although it was somewhat delicate - the light diffuser scratched VERY easily. The PW may have been blotchy, but it was tough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Are you thinking of one of the Nooks? I don't recall reports of scratching problms with the Kobo Glo.
Ya, I agree with John. It was the 1st Nook that had an issue with the light diffuser scratching. None of the Kobo's have ever had that issue.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:14 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Ya, I agree with John. It was the 1st Nook that had an issue with the light diffuser scratching. None of the Kobo's have ever had that issue.
Thanks - I'm probably getting getting them mixed up!
Old 04-07-2017, 04:20 AM   #113
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
And I don't recall the problem being with the light diffuser, the scratching problem was first seen in the Nook Simple Touch?
Old 04-07-2017, 04:28 AM   #114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And I don't recall the problem being with the light diffuser, the scratching problem was first seen in the Nook Simple Touch?
It may not have been an issue with the light diffuser per se, but it was definitely the case that, when it did get scratched (which it very easily did), bright light would shine through the scratches. There were all sorts of pictures posted at the time.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:44 AM   #115
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Now that rings a bell. Thank you for the clarification.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:52 AM   #116
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Yes it was definitely the Nook Simple Touch with "Glowlight" that had the issues with easily scratched screens. As HarryT says, the light would shine through the scratches so there'd be glowing hotspots on the screen. It was fixed by the time they released the next model the following year.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #117
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My Oasis just arrived. I had put off buying it for a long time but my PW died and I took it as a sign from the heavens that I should spoil myself with one.

My one quirk when I read is that although I'm right handed I hold the book like a lefty and being able to have push buttons on either side makes it seem made for me.

It just arrived and I'm excited to try it out today.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #118
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyyz View Post
My Oasis just arrived. I had put off buying it for a long time but my PW died and I took it as a sign from the heavens that I should spoil myself with one.

My one quirk when I read is that although I'm right handed I hold the book like a lefty and being able to have push buttons on either side makes it seem made for me.

It just arrived and I'm excited to try it out today.
Tried it out and loving it.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #119
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyyz View Post
What do you mean by "hold the book like a lefty"? I'm left-handed, and when I read, I always hold my Kindle in my right hand, so my left hand is free for doing other things with (picking up my cup of tea, or whatever).
Old 04-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #120
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
It may not have been an issue with the light diffuser per se, but it was definitely the case that, when it did get scratched (which it very easily did), bright light would shine through the scratches. There were all sorts of pictures posted at the time.
The same thing has happened to my favorite PW-3.

While sitting in a padded case, on a shelf, all by its lonesome (nothing on top of it).
And it does seem to be a crack in the diffuser, not a scratch that can be felt.

It must be something that happens very rarely.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote