Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #601
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I am very interested in this one, but I think I will skip due to the price.. 5-600$ and I would snatch it, but 1100$? Ouch!

Also, I do consider the resolution quite low for such a large screen these days.
Actually larger screens tend to have lower resolution as measured by ppi although the actual 1600 x 1200 at 150 ppi is fairly high for a screen this size. The idea of high ppi is mainly for small screen devices that are expected to be held closer to your face. This one is designed to be used at arms length. I would be afraid that doubling the resolution would severely impact performance. It is the highest resolution that E Ink currently offers although display controllers can probably reach 40 to 50% higher but not 2X, maybe 2000 x 1500 perhaps a year from now.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #602
endless_reading
endless_reading began at the beginning.

Device: box M92, DXG
The microSD supported by this device has a cap of 32GB, I think this is a big disadvantage. Come on, this device is selling for $1100.

I really hope it could support a 128GB microSD/SD, so I could store my whole book collection in one single card, and I don't need to frequently swap books between my reader and my computer.

For this very reason, I would never buy any Kindle product in the future.
endless_reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #603
endless_reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually larger screens tend to have lower resolution as measured by ppi although the actual 1600 x 1200 at 150 ppi is fairly high for a screen this size. The idea of high ppi is mainly for small screen devices that are expected to be held closer to your face. This one is designed to be used at arms length. I would be afraid that doubling the resolution would severely impact performance. It is the highest resolution that E Ink currently offers although display controllers can probably reach 40 to 50% higher but not 2X, maybe 2000 x 1500 perhaps a year from now.
I agree. And from the experience of using my kindle DXG and boox M92, I believe that the resolution 1200X1600 is enough for reading books. Though I do think we may have a much better handwriting experience with a higher resolution.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #604
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Based on the price alone it doesn't sound like Sony are targetting the consumer market with this.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #605
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by endless_reading View Post
The microSD supported by this device has a cap of 32GB, I think this is a big disadvantage. Come on, this device is selling for $1100.

I really hope it could support a 128GB microSD/SD, so I could store my whole book collection in one single card, and I don't need to frequently swap books between my reader and my computer.

By the time 13" e-ink readers drop under 500 $ (two years or more) there will probably be 1 TB SD cards as a standard even for e-readers.

In the meantime small, light and powered Wi-Fi drives, hubs or enclosures are handy and relatively cheap centralized storage&streaming solution for all our tablets and computers, but regrettably not many e-readers as yet (unless rooted Androids).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3lB-GacASE

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1001101961

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Based on the price alone it doesn't sound like Sony are targetting the consumer market with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASgPvi0y4ww
http://www.lawsitesblog.com

Last edited by markom; 04-27-2014 at 10:26 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #606
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:

My Onyx M92 officially accepts only 32 GByte SDCards as well. In my experience it depends on how you format your SDCard. My 64 GByte SDXC card works fine (the same will be with 64 GByte and 128 GByte cards). The same is true for microSD cards.

If you format it with FAT32 instead of exFAT you will probably be fine (which is, by the way, not possible under Windows without some special tools). I would bet the same works with the Sony device.

Last edited by joblack; 04-28-2014 at 01:02 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #607
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
I guess you not only want to store your whole collection but to use it too? Search all 100.000 books????
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #608
endless_reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I guess you not only want to store your whole collection but to use it too? Search all 100.000 books????
I checked my collection a moment ago, and it is about 109GB with 35268files. And some of these files are quite small, just single page memos. Some of them are extremely big, I've got one book called "Atlas of human anatomy" by Frank H Netter, it's 572pages and 522MB.

So when I was using Kindle DXG, I need to swap books quite frequently. With an onyx M92 right now, I still have quite a lot of switches .

My habit of reading is sometimes a little bit too extensive, not very focused. I would browse 100 books in a single day sometimes, and check much more books for references purposes.

So a 128G storage would really be appreciated by me.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #609
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
My Onyx M92 officially accepts only 32 GByte SDCards as well. In my experience it depends on how you format your SDCard. My 64 GByte SDXC card works fine (the same will be with 64 GByte and 128 GByte cards). The same is true for microSD cards.

If you format it with FAT32 instead of exFAT you will probably be fine (which is, by the way, not possible under Windows without some special tools). I would bet the same works with the Sony device.
Reformatting a exFAT to FAT32 is a bad idea. The FAT32 filesystem would reduce the capacity of the card. If SDXC cards are not supported in the device then you should accept that since the driver for SDXC isn't there. It is nice that the M92 supports exFAT.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #610
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Whoa, talk about disappointment. The Sony showroom is half the space it used to be and the two top floors are now Sony stores, selling in the showroom was a big no-no, not any longer I guess. Off course they didn't have Digital Paper there either. When I asked where a potential buyer could see a specimen the Sony girl just shook her head and said she didn't know. Morale is obviously at a low point. I apologize if anyone got their hopes up.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:39 AM   #611
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
That's a sincerely disappointing outcome. You really have to wonder at times about brands/businesses that seem to go out of their way to make it nearly impossible to obtain a product.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 AM   #612
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
That's a sincerely disappointing outcome. You really have to wonder at times about brands/businesses that seem to go out of their way to make it nearly impossible to obtain a product.
After that I went to Akihabara in the hope of finding it there instead, but the same disappointing outcome. I guess you need to know a secret handshake or something.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:06 AM   #613
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
After that I went to Akihabara in the hope of finding it there instead, but the same disappointing outcome. I guess you need to know a secret handshake or something.
Seems that way. Hoping that perhaps soon a 3rd party will come to light who's willing to provide at least a suitable controller for the 13.3" Mobius (RockTheInk did seem to indicate they were supporting it ).
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #614
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
MrPLD here is a simple way to turn any e-ink device with a browser in to a monitor.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148581

I corrected the link it should work now

Last edited by user743; 05-01-2014 at 10:17 AM.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #615
FantoM
Enthusiast
FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I checked my collection a moment ago, and it is about 109GB with 35268files. And some of these files are quite small, just single page memos. Some of them are extremely big, I've got one book called "Atlas of human anatomy" by Frank H Netter, it's 572pages and 522MB.

So when I was using Kindle DXG, I need to swap books quite frequently. With an onyx M92 right now, I still have quite a lot of switches .

My habit of reading is sometimes a little bit too extensive, not very focused. I would browse 100 books in a single day sometimes, and check much more books for references purposes.

So a 128G storage would really be appreciated by me.
I agree that study books, specially those with graphics, technical images and diagrams are heavier (in terms of storage) than an average reading book. Also, while studying, it's handy to change books quickly, something that e-readers didn't offer until now with good support. Digital Paper has tabs, which allow us to change the books quicky, without needing to return to the library.

But , do you study anatomy in black and white?

If you really need to check a lot of books per day, maybe a tablet is the best option. You could have productivity on the go as well. I'm thinking about it, since the Digital Paper is being a bit disappointing. I thought about the surface, which is the best tablet right now for productivity IMHO. But it's a lot more heavy.
So I read there's a mini surface coming, especially designed for note tanking. I might consider that an alternative. The negative side is the screen size (just 7-8'')...

Last edited by FantoM; 04-30-2014 at 09:01 PM.
FantoM is offline   Reply With Quote