Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #31
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Quote:
is this thread somewhat the same as your Hidden gems, dima_tr?
Sorry, didn't get it .. What is the meaning of "same" you imply? (sorry for possible offtopic)
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #32
Franky
Nameless Being

in the beginning of the thread here there is talk about a shutdown mode and if i'm correct your thread handles also about a shutdown possibility.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #33
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Aahhh, no The other one configures suspend mode parameters. Here people try to shut down the device, not to put it into standby where energy is still sucked off the battery.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #34
dima_tr
Groupie

During the last two days I learnt smth very known: RTFM. I'm very much grateful iRex guys for opening the sources.

Basically, all the needed code has been available since long time ago. Namely, sysd/system.c : do_poweroff(), prepare_standby() and on_standby() (first half of the latter).

I've customized the sysd project to produce the "poweroff" binary. The compiled executables are located in poweroff.zip. Unpack them to Programs/ folder and enjoy the old-new functionality (even with splash screen!! ). Working fine on my DR800S. Shutdown takes about 20-30 seconds. Please check during the testing if new bookmarks etc. are not lost (they should not). Looking forward to your impressions.

The most important source is poweroff-src/src/main.c . This is an extraction of system.c to perform only one operation, but doing it properly. GregorRichards has started this direction, I've been following it.

To compile the code execute build_all_from_scratch.sh, then rename src/sysd to poweroff and (optionally) strip it with arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-strip.

Sure, the source can be much simplified. The main task to do is to start with main.c and add the needed methods. And I'd be happy to have a build file like GregorRichards's one .. Ok, later. Or maybe someone has an inspiration - most welcome to participate

P.S. The icon is there waiting for lua script
Attached Files
File Type: zip poweroff.zip (49.0 KB, 586 views)
File Type: zip poweroff-src.zip (340.7 KB, 490 views)
Old 07-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #35
Opensesame
Opensesame began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
Hi, dima_tr

good work!

There is a bug for this poweroff. After I run it, the goodbye page holds on there and does not disappear until I toggle the flip bar.
Opensesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 AM   #36
Freediver007
Freediver007 began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
During the last two days I learnt smth very known: RTFM. I'm very much grateful iRex guys for opening the sources.

Basically, all the needed code has been available since long time ago. Namely, sysd/system.c : do_poweroff(), prepare_standby() and on_standby() (first half of the latter).

I've customized the sysd project to produce the "poweroff" binary. The compiled executables are located in poweroff.zip. Unpack them to Programs/ folder and enjoy the old-new functionality (even with splash screen!! ). Working fine on my DR800S. Shutdown takes about 20-30 seconds. Please check during the testing if new bookmarks etc. are not lost (they should not). Looking forward to your impressions.

The most important source is poweroff-src/src/main.c . This is an extraction of system.c to perform only one operation, but doing it properly. GregorRichards has started this direction, I've been following it.

To compile the code execute build_all_from_scratch.sh, then rename src/sysd to poweroff and (optionally) strip it with arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-strip.

Sure, the source can be much simplified. The main task to do is to start with main.c and add the needed methods. And I'd be happy to have a build file like GregorRichards's one .. Ok, later. Or maybe someone has an inspiration - most welcome to participate

P.S. The icon is there waiting for lua script

Hi there! I don't have much programming experience when it comes to the iRex, but I would LOVE to have the possibility to put my DR1000 in a standby mode (e.g. suspend to RAM). Currently the boys from Irex have removed or disabled this posibility from the 2.0 firmware (due to power management issues??), but sometimes it is extremely annoying to wait for the device to boot up every time before I can continue reading. Do you know if it would be possible to enable this feature in a similar way that you enabled the shutdown mode for the DR800?

(PS: sorry for my poor English..)
Freediver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 AM   #37
dima_tr
Groupie

Well, this is the same sysd module we should do the changes to. Technically I can try to come up with the code and the binary, but the problem is I have no DR1000 device to do the testing .. Again, can not promise this will be a successful experiment, hopefully 1000's hardware allows doing such things.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 AM   #38
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freediver007 View Post
Hi there! I don't have much programming experience when it comes to the iRex, but I would LOVE to have the possibility to put my DR1000 in a standby mode (e.g. suspend to RAM). Currently the boys from Irex have removed or disabled this posibility from the 2.0 firmware (due to power management issues??), but sometimes it is extremely annoying to wait for the device to boot up every time before I can continue reading. Do you know if it would be possible to enable this feature in a similar way that you enabled the shutdown mode for the DR800?

(PS: sorry for my poor English..)
The suspend to RAM feature is still working as far as I know. It is not visible anymore in the UI (the zZz-icon was removed some firmware version ago).
Suspend to RAM is done automatically after several seconds (10, 20 or so) of inactivity.
Boot up of the device would only be increased by a suspend to flash, which was never implemented until now. I think that suspend to flash will need a change in the linux kernel and is thus not that easy to implement.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #39
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I think that suspend to flash will need a change in the linux kernel and is thus not that easy to implement.
That's my understanding as well. Based on comments they've made, getting the DR800's suspend functionality to work on the DR1000 is more complicated than just enabling the feature in the firmware. There are kernel/driver modifications that need to be done in order to support it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #40
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Ah yes I forget about the DR800 mode. I think that the main problem there is that the hardware design of the DR1000. The lack of a real hardwired button might be one of the causes, maybe the standby/keyboard processor is also not corrected in the correct way to the main processor or some completely other issue...
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #41
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
The hardware is different, so it takes time to implement separate from the DR800 way, ok, I buy that. But after the serious failure in that aspect of the Iliad, I can't imagine the DR1000 lacks the hardware for suspend to flash. The "button" works while off too, so that can't be it as such. I guess they just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #42
javifields
Enthusiast
javifields began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
Working fine on my DR800S too. Thanks dima_tr (2.0 RC3)
javifields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #43
hekun830930
hekun830930 began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800
Nice to know, where can I download it?
hekun830930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #44
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
from post #34 in this thread.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #45
ricossa
Geneva
ricossa began at the beginning.

Device: iREX DR800S
Works great here, thank you !
ricossa is offline   Reply With Quote