Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
photon17
Enthusiast
photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Too many
Used Kindle Oasis at Amazon

I purchased a used Kindle Oasis in "good" condition from Amazon via the Warehouse Deals for $199. It arrived in a sealed box with sealed internal wrapping. It looked brand new and unused. Obviously, YMMV. The ability to return the item to Amazon is reassuring.
photon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hmmm - eeenteresting! Thanks for letting us know.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by photon17 View Post
I purchased a used Kindle Oasis in "good" condition from Amazon via the Warehouse Deals for $199. It arrived in a sealed box with sealed internal wrapping. It looked brand new and unused. Obviously, YMMV. The ability to return the item to Amazon is reassuring.
So, how to you like it?
I figure someone who paid the same price as a Voyage might have less bias a different perspective than someone who paid a lot more.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #4
photon17
Enthusiast
photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I like it. It is my favorite e-ink device so far. That includes the Kindle PW, a variety of other Kindles and devices from Sony and B & N.

I prefer reading with the cover off and store it in the cover. The touch panel is perfect when working my way through the home screen and the page turn buttons are perfect when reading. The form factor works for me. I am glad that Amazon was willing to try something new. I was worried that I would get a returned item that had some of the defects mentioned by others in the forum. If mine has flaws, they are not perceptible to me.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How did you find a refurbed one on Amazon? Continual checking, and you just happened to find it?
Advert
Old 10-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
How did you find a refurbed one on Amazon? Continual checking, and you just happened to find it?
Certified Refurbished & Pre-owned Amazon Devices

Quote:
Explore certified devices that look and work like new, backed with the same limited warranty as new devices ‒ or find a pre-owned device, fulfilled by Warehouse Deals and 30 day money-back guarantee.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Looks like no more Oasises, at the moment. They might be relatively scarce.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
photon17
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Nothing planned. Just dumb luck.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd be very weary of used Oasis given the reports from MR users who bought and returned them. They returned them for screen issues that Amazon cannot fix without replacing the screen and/or the touch and/or LEDs. So really, my guess is a lot of these refurbished Oasis units have screen issues.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd be very weary of used Oasis given the reports from MR users who bought and returned them. They returned them for screen issues that Amazon cannot fix without replacing the screen and/or the touch and/or LEDs. So really, my guess is a lot of these refurbished Oasis units have screen issues.
I think Jon means 'wary', although the same narrative (from him) can sometimes be 'weary'.

By the way, mine is fine, indeed.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-22-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:51 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
By the way, mine is fine, indeed.
It does depends on how sensitive the previous owner is and how sensitive you are to these sorts of screen issues. But it's also possible there are no screen issues at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It does depends on how sensitive the previous owner is and how sensitive you are to these sorts of screen issues. But it's also possible there are no screen issues at all.

I would agree with some of that. My earlier (now gone) first generation PW1 had that screen issue. The newer one (also now gone, as part of a trade deal for the Oasis) didn't have any issues at all.

I'm thoroughly enjoying my Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, and somewhat used Kobo Aura HD. (My newest Kobo has yet to ship from my sister's US address.)

Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote