Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 06-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #31
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
I'll give the zip file a run in Windows... I tested the 2.0 version in Windows but probably didn't do 2.0.1.

But just for a heads-up, I should have the next version out on Sunday. It fixes the above "<<" issue, and adds a few other features.

The pylrs-1.0.1 is part of the installation (it's in the "packages" directory), and is automatically installed when your run the installer in the pielrf directory itself. I did test it in Windows!
[indent]python setup.py install[/i]

This did require command line, but I don't know any other way to do it.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
I'll give the zip file a run in Windows... I tested the 2.0 version in Windows but probably didn't do 2.0.1.

But just for a heads-up, I should have the next version out on Sunday. It fixes the above "<<" issue, and adds a few other features.

The pylrs-1.0.1 is part of the installation (it's in the "packages" directory), and is automatically installed when your run the installer in the pielrf directory itself. I did test it in Windows!
[indent]python setup.py install[/i]

This did require command line, but I don't know any other way to do it.

-Pie
I don't have any issues with using the command line. What I would like is to know the commands to convert a CLIT output HTML from LIT format. Either it's not working or I'm doing something wrong. I have no idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #33
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't have any issues with using the command line. What I would like is to know the commands to convert a CLIT output HTML from LIT format. Either it's not working or I'm doing something wrong. I have no idea.
Okay.

There's two approaches.

First you can just trust that pielrf does the right thing, and use the "--strip-html" command line switch. This will run pielrf as usual, and strip out any of the html it doesn't know.

The second is to use the striphtml utility before running pielrf. This will do the exact same thing as "--strip-html" but output another text file for you to look at / edit.

I prefer pre-stripping with striphtml and then editing that file and feeding it to pielrf. CLIT creates pretty complex HTML, and if you want to add the "<chapter>" tags, pre-stripping makes that a lot easier. It also allows you to clean up any HTML that striphtml didn't get rid of.

-Pie
Old 06-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is there a comma in any of the file names in the ZIP file? If there is, that "breaks" the built-in Windows unzipper.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #35
EatingPie
Blueberry!

No commas in any file names... and this is one of those evil "it works for me" posts.

I downloaded the pielrf-2.0.3.zip file at the top of this thread.

Using WinXP, I Right-Clicked the "pielrf-2.0.3.zip" file and selected "Extract All..." This gives me a "Welcome to the Compressed (zipped) Folders Extraction Wizard." Clicking "Next>" a couple of times unzips me a "pielrf-2.0.3" folder.

If I go into the "pielrf-2.0.3" folder, there is a "pielrf-2.0.3" folder in there (no, that wasn't a typo! ). Opening THAT "pielrf-2.0.3" folder shows the correct contents, with the README, pielrf and striphtml commands, plus the setup.py, plus the "examples" and "packages" subdirectories, et cetera.

Could it be the dual "pielrf-2.0.3" folders were the problem?

EDIT: Just realized that I used the Mac to download, transferred to parallels and unzipped there. Maybe it's IE that's the problem? I'm off for a bit, but I'll try that later.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 06-10-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Advert
Old 06-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe it is IE. But this is the only ZIP file I've had an issue using Windows Explorer. The other issue I have is the file extensions. All Python code under Windows needs to have a .py extension. You run the code by typing filename.py and then it runs it under Python.

If you'd like, I can send you some HTML output from CLIT and see how you get on converting it if you'd like.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #37
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Maybe it is IE. But this is the only ZIP file I've had an issue using Windows Explorer. The other issue I have is the file extensions. All Python code under Windows needs to have a .py extension. You run the code by typing filename.py and then it runs it under Python.

If you'd like, I can send you some HTML output from CLIT and see how you get on converting it if you'd like.
Yeah go ahead and PM me the file(s). I haven't thoroughly tested the CLIT stiff, and I know it generates a wide variety of HTML.

In terms of the .py extension, your other choice is the precede the command with "python":
python pielrf -i infile.txt -o outfile.lrf -t "Book" ...
I realize it's extra typing, and not as "clean" but it gets the job done.

I still have to give it a go in IE, and I'll let you know. I use the Mac's built-in zip compression, but I have other programs to create zips, so I'll probably just use one of them from now on.

EDIT: IE Worked okay. I'll use a different zip utility for the new version when I post it.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 06-10-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #38
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Had some optimization issues with the new version, so I'm a bit delayed.

Definitely should be fixed in the next few days.

-Pie
Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Hopefully with a perfect CLIT HTML conversion as well.

Jon
Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #40
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Hopefully with a perfect CLIT HTML conversion as well.

Jon

To be honest, depending on the complexity of the HTML you sent me (which I did receive), that may have to wait until the next version. I have some promised features that are overdue, and I want to get them out as soon as get the LRF optimized a bit more (it needs to at least match 2.0.3 in terms of load speed).

-Pie
Old 06-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

To be honest, depending on the complexity of the HTML you sent me (which I did receive), that may have to wait until the next version. I have some promised features that are overdue, and I want to get them out as soon as get the LRF optimized a bit more (it needs to at least match 2.0.3 in terms of load speed).

-Pie
Not a problem. But can I ask that the new version be tested on a Windows environment (XP Please) so you can sort out the issues with the install and filename extensions? Thanks!

Jon
Old 06-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #42
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Not a problem. But can I ask that the new version be tested on a Windows environment (XP Please) so you can sort out the issues with the install and filename extensions? Thanks!

Jon
Indeed, I certainly plan to do so. I have already tested one zip utility and it seemed to work fine.

I am actually not sure what I want to do about the file extension. I prefer to keep it off, since it executes as a script correctly under Mac OS X and Linux (or any other UNIX supporting python). Windows requires you to either add the extension -- as you're suggesting -- or type "python" first.

While adding two letters isn't a big deal, the ".py" extension suggests a "library" as opposed to an executable command. Leaving it off means Windows users have to type "python" first, while putting it on means UNIX users may interpret it as a library function rather than an executable.

I'd love to hear what others think. This kind of issue is exactly why this thread exists!

-Pie
Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Pie have you considered making a windows executable with py2exe?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:17 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, the way python installs and sets itself up, you have to type the path to python in a Windows command prompt to callthe python command as it's not made part of the path. So for people who do not know the command line well enough, this will be an issue and adding the extention will fix this for them. I say to just do it let the linux/MAC people deal.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #45
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Pie have you considered making a windows executable with py2exe?
Thanks kovid, I'll definitely look into this. Because...

Quote:
Well, the way python installs and sets itself up, you have to type the path to python in a Windows command prompt to callthe python command as it's not made part of the path. So for people who do not know the command line well enough, this will be an issue and adding the extention will fix this for them. I say to just do it let the linux/MAC people deal.
Turns out renaming with .py won't work at all at this point. This is because I named the library "pielrf"... and when you run "pielrf.py" and it tells python to look for the pielrf library, python looks in the current directory first, finding "pielrf.py" ... the executable you just ran. All sorts of mayhem ensues.

You're absolutely right about this being an important "feature," as it does make the Windows execute with python without having to know any path rigamarole. I'll figure out a solution, but it's going to have to wait until my next release (renaming the library, for example, is more than I want to do this time around).

At this point, I'm going to post a test download so I can check out the .zip file, and after I get that checked out, I'll post the current, and long-delayed, update.

-Pie

PS I can see why you want Linux/Mac people to deal... Poor windows users have to deal all the time, and they get really tired of it... or so I hear. Kidding.... Kidding...